FFVII & FFVIII Statues/Figures

SirenRocks

Gil
Hi,

A bit of advice required please.

I'm a big fan of FFVII & FFVIII and I'm looking to collect character, GF and monster statues/figures.

I'm not particularly interested in the 'action' figures (the ones made of plastic with movable joints), I'm talking about the detailed, static figures made from resin and/or whatever.

I've been looking into things but, to be honest, I'm rather confused about the various product ranges that are available.

Can anyone help me out with some pointers and suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

SR

I can help you out. ;D

So you're looking for collectable VII AND VIII statues, rather than figures?

FFVII has quite a bit to offer. First you have the Kotobukiya 1/8 line, in character form. This line is fairly detailed, originally released in 1997 (serialized, and therefor rare), but then again later back in 2002, unserialized and at a more affordable price. Depending on where you find them online, a decent price is about 60-80$ plus shipping.

Cloud
Cloud an Hardy Daytona
Aerith
Tifa
Tifa ver 2
Sephiroth
Vincent
Yuffie

Those are on the cheaper end. After that, then you get into bigger, more elaborate statues.

There's the Sculpture Arts and Static Arts lines for VII, Sculpture being the first three, Static being the last two. The Sculpture Arts have a more realistic look to them, whereas the Static have a more anime look. Thes are getting quite rare now, especially the Aerith one. Prices fluctuate greatly but no less than 350-300$.

Aerith Praying to the Lifestream
Cloud in Midgar, final Battle
Sephiroth in Midgar, final Battle

Cloud in Church
Sephiroth with Meteor

And then Cloud also comes in a 1/4th statue with real cloth clothes, removeable swords, extremely detail but also extremely expensive, usually 500 bucks.

Cloud

FFVII doesn't really have anything in the form of a resin statu for Summons or creatures, just plastic or PVC figures.

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy VIII has less to offer, which are a lot harder to find by now. They have 1/6th Kotobukiya character figures, made out of Vinyl I think, not 100% sure. But also static poses, I'm sure. These, if found, can go for around 75$.

Squall
Rinoa
Selphie
Laguna
Seifer
Quistis

All six

And then they have (I think?) 1/12 VIII Guardian Force Kotobukiya statues. Released back in 1999 I think, these are extremely hard to find (except for Squall and Rinoa) and often sell 300$ (for Squall or Rinoa) and 500+ for the other three, if you can find em. They were serialized to 3000 pieces.

Squall and Bahamut
Rinoa and Siren
Seifer and Odin
Zell, Irvine, and Diablos
Quistis, Selphie and Leviathan

All five together

Some Holy Grails

There are some extreme limited edition stuff for each game, however for VII and VIII respectively, there's three that come to mind. Keep in mind these are extremely hard to find, worth more than 500+ bucks, especially the Cloud vs Seph, easilly 1000$ +

Cloud vs Sephiroth cold cast statue

Cloud and Aerith in the Forgotten City
Squall and Rinoa Waltz

Last edited:
Chanpanion Cube,

Many, many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

You've told me everything I needed to know and more besides.

It looks like I'll have to start with the Kotobukiya 1/8 line and maybe progress to the more expensive stuff at a later date.

Thanks again.

Take care,

SR

Not a problem, good luck on your collecting adventure!

Thanks, CC, I have started but my first foray hasn't exactly gone well.

I purchased 2 FF VII figures over the internet but neither of 'em fit on the base properly.

I guess they'll be going back and I'll have to start over.

Bugger! :(

How do you mean they don't fit the base properly? Which figs did you get, the Trading Arts ones?

Hi CC,

I got two of the Kotobukiya 1/8 line resin statues.

The dowels/pins in the bases are nearly 1/4" closer together then the holes in the legs of the statues.

The seller has informed me that the legs should have enough flexibility to squeeze in without snapping off. I'll give that a go when I've mustered the courage.

Hrm.. I imagine you have Cloud and Sephiroth since they both have the wider legs for the bases. I'll have to check mine next time I'm home. Pushing them slightly together inwards shouldn't hurt the statues too much. I do believe that they're meant to be a snug fit so that they don't just.. pop right off, you know? Try work them together into the base, but not if you don't feel comfortable that it'll break. With these statues, you never know. Sometimes they're resiliant, or the slightest thing sets it off.

Hrm.. I imagine you have Cloud and Sephiroth since they both have the wider legs for the bases. I'll have to check mine next time I'm home. Pushing them slightly together inwards shouldn't hurt the statues too much. I do believe that they're meant to be a snug fit so that they don't just.. pop right off, you know? Try work them together into the base, but not if you don't feel comfortable that it'll break. With these statues, you never know. Sometimes they're resiliant, or the slightest thing sets it off.

Hi CC,

Nope, Tifa & Vincent are the culprits.

I found a chap with some experience of working with resin moldings who sorted things out for me, he heated the legs gently with a hairdryer and carefully flexed them until they fit over the pins.

Scary to watch but end result is just fine. :)

Take care,

SR

Aha, yah. I remember that trick that's used with kits, I didn't realize that it would work well with a preassembled model. But good, that's a relief. Keep me posted as to how things come along. I got a thread in here too with my collection that begs upgrading/new pics.

No problem. Happy to help. :ryan:

*You may regret saying that, CC.*;)

I'm doing OK with collecting the FF7 & 8 character figures but I'm still missing a few of the scarcer ones.
I'll post some photos as soon as I get the lighting for my cabinets sorted out.

I've also been working on FF8 GFs, the 'Master Creatures' and the smaller creature/monster figures.

It's easy enough to work out what's available of the*FF8 GFs and 'Master Creatures' but the smaller creature/monster figures are a bit harder to work out.

Its seems there's a range of figures made for (and often marked) "Japan Only".
Can you give me any clues as to how these*"Japan Only" figures relate to the normal creature and "Creatures Kai" figures?

Any clues or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SR

Hey, it's been a while but I was stuck in a forum competition when you posted this.

Referring to the Japan Only figs, whenever (usually) a volume of figs is released for a series, there's sometimes a Japan exclusive. Because of that then, we usually get a fifth alternate. It's not marked as an international exclusive, cause they can still buy it over there too. The Japan exclusives are usually harder to find. In most volumes of figs, it's a colour alternate fig.. like in the Master Creatures line, Bahamut, Shiva, Yojimbo

Hey, it's been a while but I was stuck in a forum competition when you posted this.

Referring to the Japan Only figs, whenever (usually) a volume of figs is released for a series, there's sometimes a Japan exclusive. Because of that then, we usually get a fifth alternate. It's not marked as an international exclusive, cause they can still buy it over there too. The Japan exclusives are usually harder to find. In most volumes of figs, it's a colour alternate fig.. like in the Master Creatures line, Bahamut, Shiva, Yojimbo

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, you've added some stuff to the list of things I'd worked out for myself.
Another thing I noticed is that many sellers get confused between the normal small creature/monster figures and Creatures-Kai.

My collection is still growing.

I just managed to grab a Sephiroth from the FF7 1/8 resin range leaving me needing only Cloud & Hardy Daytona to complete the set.
I was a bit surprised that some of the major characters are missing from the 1/8 resin range - no Barret, no Cid, no Red XIII and so on.
I grabbed the large Playarts version of Red XIII, which looks just fine, but there doesn't seem to be any high quality statues for the rest.
Bloody shame really.

I'm all done with the FF8 1/6 vinyl range apart from Quistis.
Quistis is proving very difficult to find anywhere in Europe, there are a few in USA and Canada but importing to the UK is a costly, time consuming nightmare.

I've got all the FF8 Guardians (coloured version) apart from Shiva - another one that's hard to find in Europe.
I was surprised just how much the quality of these figures varies.
On the one hand there's Odin & Slepnir, which is excellent quality, and on the other hand there's Siren which is totally bloody awful.

I've got all the proper Master Creatures that are relevant to FF7 and FF8 and am working on 'filling in the blanks' with the inferior Kai figures.

I've got all the FF8 Monster Collection figures.

Oh yes, and I've spent quite a bit of time in the workshop building cabinets. :)

Yah, the little Final Fantasy Creatures sets (5 Volumes in total with around 8 figs per volume) are harder to find nowadays.. it also depends on which creature you're trying to find. The rare figures are obviously more elusive than the regulars.

I wish I could have gotten a hold of you sooner, I've got a box of mismatched summon creatures I'm looking to get rid of. Most of them are VII/VIII/X related but a couple have broken in movings. (There's a Magus Sisters that is just beyond repair at this stage). I know what you mean about the Guardians having varying quality. Siren was always okay I thought, Ifrit was pretty meh to me. And his horns never properly stay in! Have you gotten the regular release/American sets? I imagine so, if you haven't mentioned the Ragnarok pieces.

In the Japan serialized sets, there were 8 pieces of Ragnarok that you could collect and assemble (both colour and clear versions). Obviously VERY hard to find, and I see complete sets sell on ebay or Yahoo Japan for a couple hundred bucks. But it's still pretty neat.

Yah, Cid, Barret and Cait Sith got no love. Red XIII, kind of, because they also released a set of action figures through Bandai, The Extra Knights. They're pretty crude looking and not impressive, but come as Cloud, Aerith, Tifa, Sephiroth, Vincent, Barret, and Red XIII. Really, the ONLY figs (not including keychains) for Red and Barrett until Red got his Play Arts. Thankfully that came with Cait Sith so he got a bit of love too. SE REALLY likes to forget Cid though... everytime.

Here's a link for a Quistis I found. With the exchange rate, it's still fairly cheap for you, no? She is the harder to find of the lot though, so it is likely that you'd pay a bit more for her anyway. IT's still a good price I think.

As for the Cloud and Hardy Daytona, be VERY careful when buying it. Ask the seller to take extra precautions. Mine broke in about... 3 spots on the bike, and twice on the sword. Cold Casts are very fragile, and that is a mess to ship and get in one piece. Just be very urgent with whoever you buy it from.

Hi MG,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Oddly enough I had the same problem with my Ifrit but I managed to solve it by using some clear, non-setting 'gloop' stuff normally used for sticking posters on walls.
The stuff holds well enough but the parts do pull apart, without damage, and the gloop just pulls off.
Several other figures have needed the gloop treatment - the Forbidden figure needed a ton of it.

My Ifrit came with the Ragnarok part but that's the only one.
I have seen the other ones come up for sale from time to time but the prices have always been daft.
I've seen complete Ragnarok models for sale, I may just grab one when budget allows.

Ta for the Quistis link, I had spotted that one but, as I said, the price would be daft by the time the figure got here.
I don't think people realise just how costly it is to get stuff to the UK.
The price for the Quistis figure is roughly £77 (including shipping) but, if I bought it, by the time it got to my door it would probably have cost more like £110. :mad:

Good advice about breakages.
The Sephiroth figure I have now is my second attempt as the first one arrived with one leg and the cape snapped off - and that was from a seller in the UK.

Take care,

SR

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the Creatures for those reasons, unless they come static posed and without assembly. But even then, they still sometimes break depending on what they're made of. My Leviathan broke at the antenna cause it's so thin and it just couldn't be helped.

Yeah, the breakages is something you gotta watch out for and put in a request because if the seller justdoesn't really care, and likely they won't, they'll ship it fairly loose. My Sephiroth came in alright, but shortly thereafter, because of the warmth of the room and then cooling down in the winter, my Aerith's ribbon snapped off. But you being in the UK you wont have very fluctuating weather there, I think, so after you get stuff in, it should be okay. But sometimes you just can't help the post. I had a guy from the UK make me a custom Sephiroth/Aerith statue, and he had FRAGILE stickers all over the box but Seph still came decapitated.. AND they were wrapped diligently in bubble wrap.

I do hope you find a Quistic fig alright though. You get the brunt of the shipping rate issues, but we get bitten by exchange rates.

Have you seen the four Holy Grails on ebay right now? Two Aerith music boxes (going for 15K+), and two Cloud vs Sephiroth (also in the same range)? They're the two most highly sought after figs because of limited numbers.. and people seem to think that slapping on a 15K sticker means its worth that. No, it's only worth what people will pay, and I've seen plenty of people pay upwards of 5K for those, but not more.

I do hope you find a Quistic fig alright though. You get the brunt of the shipping rate issues, but we get bitten by exchange rates.

Just snagged one for £70 from a seller in the UK - I'm well chuffed! :)
It's not arrived yet so here's hoping that the postman doesn't play football with it prior to delivery.

I just need Shiva and Cloud & Daytona now and then the main parts of the collection will be complete.

Have you seen the four Holy Grails on ebay right now? Two Aerith music boxes (going for 15K+), and two Cloud vs Sephiroth (also in the same range)? They're the two most highly sought after figs because of limited numbers.. and people seem to think that slapping on a 15K sticker means its worth that. No, it's only worth what people will pay, and I've seen plenty of people pay upwards of 5K for those, but not more.

Yep, I had spotted them but never even considered getting involved.
Daft money, very daft money indeed - I'd expect the real Holy Grail for 15K.

There seem to be a number of the Cloud & Sephiroth Sculpture Arts Final Fantasy VII Advent Children figures knocking around at the moment.
It looks like there are two versions of these, one with semi-transparent bases and one with opaque.
I'm not sure about the ones with the semi-transparent bases but I may keep an eye on the other versions to see if the prices come down.

Take care,

SR

Just snagged one for £70 from a seller in the UK - I'm well chuffed! :)
It's not arrived yet so here's hoping that the postman doesn't play football with it prior to delivery.

I just need Shiva and Cloud & Daytona now and then the main parts of the collection will be complete.

Oh excellent! You've got to show me some pics then of your collection thus far when you have it sorted.

Yep, I had spotted them but never even considered getting involved.
Daft money, very daft money indeed - I'd expect the real Holy Grail for 15K.

There seem to be a number of the Cloud & Sephiroth Sculpture Arts Final Fantasy VII Advent Children figures knocking around at the moment.
It looks like there are two versions of these, one with semi-transparent bases and one with opaque.
I'm not sure about the ones with the semi-transparent bases but I may keep an eye on the other versions to see if the prices come down.

Take care,

SR

The real difference with the bases is that the semi-transparent kind of have a.. fiery look about them... like they're caught up in the flames of the building amidst their battle. I don't think either one is more rare than the other, I think the transparent ones are Japan releases. But they're not the greatest looking statues... the faces are kind of... not really... Well, they're poo. They try go for a more realistic look, but given the size, it's shoddy quality. You can quite often get the pair for around.. 400$ US, which is fairly cheap since people try selling them individually for around 300$. But the shipping is horrendous, because they're made of polystone. And polystone has a MUCH greater risk of cracking than resin. So make sure it's something you buy in the UK, and again, contact the seller about fragility status.

Back