Crisis Core Does anybody else feel the same ?

Starships

Zero Gravity
Veteran
Gil
I just brought this game at a bargain bin, after reading reviews online with 10/10's and 9/10's, hoping for a really, really good game and Final Fantasy. But I played it, and after the intro. I disliked it. I thought that it was obnoxious and well...crap.

I don't understand, does anybody else feel this way ? The game's music seems like hardcore rock, and not usually beautifully orchestrated like original Final Fantasy games. Zack acts like a immature child and is a ladies man, and all the gameplay is, is just random battle, after random battle, and then while your fighting that random slot machine gets in the way. I may sound like a old fart. But the original was never like this at all. :hmph:The game just doesn't seem Final Fantasy-ish, or even Final Fantasy VII like. So far, Sephiroth has been getting extra treatment to look cool, or even badass and it just makes me want to puke. I'm guessing that it's going to have the Last Order version of the Nibelheim incident and Cloud isn't going to look like a hero ?:grumpy:

I just don't don't see how Zack can be a poplaur character, and this game can get so many good reviews. Does anybody else feel this way towards the game ? Or am I just a black sheep among the crowd ? It's just nothing like the original FF VII.
:disgust:

I felt the same too. I continued to play the game for the sake of giving it a chance, but having completed it I can't say that I really enjoyed it much. It was quite a disappointment for me, and I try my hardest not to dislike things.

My reasons are essentially those you mentioned. The music (which one of my friends kept saying was the best soundtrack ever, and way better than FFVII) turned out (at least to my ears) to just be random rock beats with very little soul to it. It lacks the magic and emotion that the FFVII soundtrack has.

The battles / path walking was another serious letdown for me. I don't mind linearity in games so long as they try to hide it. Crisis Core didn't even attempt to hide it. You KNEW when an enemy was going to spawn, because it was always the bit where the path would widen slightly, creating a little circle for a battle arena.

Then there is the character of Zack. I don't mind this as such. He's not what I expected though. I always expected that he was a respected hero with a large record, however when you play through Crisis Core with Zack and see what it is he actually did, it doesn't seem as impressive to me. He wasn't a First Class for very long.

I wasn't keen on Genesis either. I felt that he took away from the power of Sephiroth, and almost made Sephiroth just feel like an improved version of something which has come before, rather than being special and horrifically powerful. Having lots of one-winged angels made the events of FFVII look as if they were meant to be no longer as impressive.

All of that said, I don't hate the game. There were parts that I enjoyed, I just felt that there was a lot of things that made me wish that they'd attempted to do something else instead.

I felt the same too. I continued to play the game for the sake of giving it a chance, but having completed it I can't say that I really enjoyed it much. It was quite a disappointment for me, and I try my hardest not to dislike things..

I decided to give the game chance and play all the way through too. I'm up to Final Battle, and my main emotion and feelings is that it's kind of destoryed the original game. The game changed so much from the original, and skipped out moments that made the original awesome. The Nibelhiem incident is a huge example.

My reasons are essentially those you mentioned. The music (which one of my friends kept saying was the best soundtrack ever, and way better than FFVII) turned out (at least to my ears) to just be random rock beats with very little soul to it. It lacks the magic and emotion that the FFVII soundtrack has.

Glad that you agree about the music. ^_^

I don't mind linearity in games so long as they try to hide it. Crisis Core didn't even attempt to hide it. You KNEW when an enemy was going to spawn, because it was always the bit where the path would widen slightly, creating a little circle for a battle arena.

8( Oh I never knew this ! Or picked this up. Hmm maybe you're right. Very smart person you are ! :lew:The game was repetitive though, there's no change to missions most of the time, and the battles are the same over and over again.

Then there is the character of Zack. I don't mind this as such. He's not what I expected though. I always expected that he was a respected hero with a large record, however when you play through Crisis Core with Zack and see what it is he actually did, it doesn't seem as impressive to me. He wasn't a First Class for very long.

Zack's personality has grown on me and can see why he's so poplaur. He's so kind and helpful to everybody, including Genesis who can be seen as I guess evil. But I just hate how he's a bit of a playboy and always hitting on women like they are sexual objects. :jtc:

I wasn't keen on Genesis either. I felt that he took away from the power of Sephiroth, and almost made Sephiroth just feel like an improved version of something which has come before, rather than being special and horrifically powerful. Having lots of one-winged angels made the events of FFVII look as if they were meant to be no longer as impressive.

I agree with this. Genesis took away so much from Sephiroth, and not only Sephiroth but he changed the whole entire FF VII storyline all together, and he destoryed the Nibelhiem incident by adding himself into the incident. It made me rage.:pingas:

All of that said, I don't hate the game. There were parts that I enjoyed, I just felt that there was a lot of things that made me wish that they'd attempted to do something else instead.

There was some parts that I enjoyed too. But I still dislike the game. It's just too repetitive, and Genesis isn't really a good villain. I have no desire to fight him, usually when you face a final boss you have a desire to smack him one, or face him in fear, but there's nothing... just nothing...
I think if they didn't try and make this game look 'cool' and change important storyline events and like you said, make Zack stay 2nd class for longer, I would of enjoyed the game more.

I enjoyed the game for the reason of finding out what happen before VII... but again leaves more questions that never seem to get filled...

But I agree with the music for sure...all rock and seemed all to...the same for most areas of the map...

Now me I did like Genesis and Angeal.
I felt it made Sephiroth more, i guess the word is human?
Rather than a hero/god like person. I understand why you wouldn't like Genesis though and I agree with it too, but I can't help but to feel like Sephiroth was actually a good human at one point now.

The only thing that I really really really didn't like from this game is there "level up" function... if you even wanna call it that... have to get three 7's on that stupid spinny thing... It just seemed like too random to level up and then there was really no point in actually fighting and more like running around in a fight to try and level up....

I'm glad I saw other perspectives on this. Gives me a new perspective!

Now with that being said, here's my two cents:

I feel that Crisis Core lacked in game play but not story. It was orchestrated and pieced together thoughtfully even with it's mediocre game play. The rock themed music fitted Zack more as a lively youth rather than a mature adult and since the game's based on Zack it made sense to me.

The game itself developed Zack's character to fit the puzzle and I felt it was adequate. Maybe because I more or less can identify with that type of character idealistically.

That and the creation of Genesis and Angeal to move the plot gave Zack more history and revealed more about Sephiroth as a comrade. Instead of some lunatic who was hell bent on destroying Gaia. It made me like Sephiroth for his humanity as a hero instead of a villain.

The introduction of other character's helped flesh out the FF7 world to me too. Though my only complaint is that the puzzle of Final Fantasy VII doesn't always fit snugly. I hope my thoughts aren't taken personally and that it offers a different variety to the opinions shown here.

Regards,
Thief

Well I didnt hate the game ...like i did XIII and to a lesser degree XII. I have to say this game was rather good imo.

At first I did mostly enjoy it I have to say though it did become maundane after a while,but since im the anal type player alot of games do become that way for me,since I have to spend forever and a day playing them with monthly breaks in between...

The story while not the best by far isnt the worst ive seen in a spinoff.
I rather enjoyed the music myself but im eclectic so anything with a tune I like I will say is enjoyable I think XII's music was much more disslikable as I only had two songs from the whole thing thet I almost liked and the music in CC seemed to be a perfect balence with the atmosphere and mode of the game.

For a spinoff,lets milk FFVII for all its worth, title I actually think they did a damn good job on the game if played without all my analness im sure I would have been far more engrosed with it.

I also realy did like the charecter Zack he was very relatable to me for some reason and I found him rather endearing .

The gameplay in my veiw was alright and I found it rather fun in the begining and enjoyable threwout. The only downside I find in it is the DMW the randomness of it is not enjoyable and leveling stuff up ,materia /Zack himself in my opinion shouldnt be random and probably draws out the game in a not so good way,otherwise I found it all a rather enjoyable time,even just path following wasnt so bad to me because of all the little things to do ,missions/materia making ect, kept me occupied and interested enough where it was ok.

I feel exactly the same way you do, _Symphonia. The game wasn't good. I was told the gameplay was nice, I was fooled. I was told the acting was pretty good...I was fooled.

I was told the music would be good too and after I heard it, it sounded like it was randomly made and not Final Fantasy music at all >.>

I played CC before I played the original and I thought it was one of the best games I've ever played. I din't like the slot machine but I thought the story and music were all fantastic. It might be because I'm not a Cloud fan and that Zack was the main character that made me like the game.

And Genesis and Sephiroth are in it so you get to see what Sephiroth was like before he went clinicly insane. And Genesis is in it. And the endings really sad, it actually made me cry, one of two games Iv'e played thats made me do that.

So I can't say I agree with many of the above points unfortunately.

I really loved the game. In fact, it was one of my favorites out of the series. I wont deny that there were a few differences from CC ro FF7 but I was too busy enjoying it to really care. I've played the game over 50 times now. xD

At first i was like...very skeptical.But then when I got into it I enjoyed the gameplay.Well it is an action RPG,if you're a traditional RPG fan then it's not for you.I felt the characters and such and actually felt sad when it ended.It was a good experience,although not as good as FFVII original.

Now...what disappointed me is that SE decided,when making this,to rip off the story of FFVII original and slap it FFVII:CC,with different characters of course.I mean the G project?A second "Sephiroth"?(reference to Genesis).Seriously...it was a bad rip-off in matters of story and if you haven't played the original...well...you'll think this is fairly original when the truth is it's not.It copies soooooo many parts of the original,I can understand that it's the "prequel" but they could do better without misleading people who just got into FF starting from CC.I am not trying to bash CC since I enjoyed it but I am angered that many people don't see it's resemblance to the original.Sure Zack is a very good character and maybe the ideal hero for an RPG,but I still prefer Cloud and in his defense all I have to say is that Zack copies Cloud since Cloud was first and Zack played a very very minor role in the original.I know SE can do better than playing the same story and promoting new characters.Like...what the hell has to do Genesis with the FFVII plot?He was never in it and his existance not even implied,but maybe they're trying to take away the glory of Sephiroth since it's become tiring to them to see him win every FF poll...I wonder what they were thinking...I greatly liked the the combat system,it was for my tastes but the story was a copy,characters the same.
I can understand that Cloud was influenced by Zack in his coma state,but the way it is shown in CC,is like Cloud is trying to be Zack and comes out so unoriginal.
Let alone that the whole SOLDIER thing and the phase Sephiroth has to deal with when learning the truth about himself in FFVII reminds me surprisingly of Genesis' phase.And that there are other like Sephiroth is overdone I think.
Sorry if you find this offensive but this is how I felt by this game story-wise.

This is old but urmm.. I LOVED CRISIS CORE. And.. Genesis :) New characters add to the story. If they weren't there, it wouldn't be very realistic. There are always others in your past, right?

I loved it. But they tried to make zack a character that knew nearly nothing. He was barely involved. That said, there were moments where it seemed like he wasnt from ff7 world by ppl answering for him. A bit slow and such.

The game seemed like it was made more to explain the past that zack was involved, not the past of zack. I love genesis though and i believe the issue is that it seemed rush. Zack couldve been a little original.

However the game was very enjoyable and the ending was even more emotiomal than what i expected.

Last edited:
I will never understand how this game received the accolades, high scores and the praise it did. 92% from one magazine? How? Why? It's just baffling. I gave it a go, expecting something fantastic because of the praise, yet came out rubbing my head and asking myself whether I actually played the same game as everyone else.

It easily kills FFX and rivals FFXIII in the linear business! Just like how FFXIII makes absolutely no pretense of its cripplingly claustrophobic linearity, so does Crisis Core, except this game perhaps has that dull bit of Sector 7 Midgar you can revisit...until Nibelheim. People whine about FFXIII for being linear, yet I barely see Crisis Core getting the same flak for it. Selective amnesia, or does everyone just look at this game more favourably because it's part of the FFVII Compilation? The game is also disastrously short for the development time it had, and that isn't counting the 300-odd missions that are just samey rubbish, with recycled areas where you only start off in different corners each time. Why give me so many missions if they're essentially all the same? A pretense practice at substance?

You can even see where the enemies will pop up as aforementioned, and there's the ridiculous slot machines system to level up and use limit breaks. There's also having to rely on getting three Cissneis to perk up your chances of levelling up/levelling Materia/using a limit break, which by that point, made me ask: why bother? The game is essentially forbidding the player from some of the controls, and leaves the player to just roll around on the floor and spam the same button(s). For an action-RPG, it's a monotonously dull experience.

I admit, Zack is a better character in here than Cloud will ever be, though his constant "to become a hero!" had my Snow Villiers alarm going off. Actual personality that isn't too obnoxious? Optimistic, yet not terribly exaggerated? He's fair enough to stick with for the entirety of the game. Sephiroth? Christ, the guy as a sane and rational guy was very likeable - they did a good job there with that portrayal. Sadly, I'm not as convinced with how he was shown to become batshit crazy. Having Genesis blab something to him, and then spending the next week or so locked up in a library reading books before going pyromaniac on Nibelheim? Underwhelmingly lame.

And speaking of Genesis, I did kind of like him while I was playing. In retrospect however? The LOVELESS thing seemed to grow old and the guy is just a vanilla pretty-boy Gackt, who we are supposed to believe to be on a similar league to Sephiroth in more ways than one, though with nothing else going on for him. And it really helps that you have an arsehole goddess. "Oh, I am so flattered that Genesis was pining for me all this time. I think I will spare him and give HIM another chance at life as opposed to ummm...I dunno, that former SOLDIER chap and that Cetra girl who was instrumental in saving the world".

And that's Crisis Core in a nutshell for me. A linear romp of boredom. Did it live up to its expectations? Well, in a similar way to how when I was 5, I wanted to go up into space before I was 20. It hasn't happened.

I tried as hard as I could to love this game, but just couldn't. But then I went into it expecting FFVII-2, so it would never have lived up to my expectations.

Although I did enjoy seeing Midgar from a new angle.

I will never understand how this game received the accolades, high scores and the praise it did. 92% from one magazine? How? Why? It's just baffling. I gave it a go, expecting something fantastic because of the praise, yet came out rubbing my head and asking myself whether I actually played the same game as everyone else.

It easily kills FFX and rivals FFXIII in the linear business! Just like how FFXIII makes absolutely no pretense of its cripplingly claustrophobic linearity, so does Crisis Core, except this game perhaps has that dull bit of Sector 7 Midgar you can revisit...until Nibelheim. People whine about FFXIII for being linear, yet I barely see Crisis Core getting the same flak for it. Selective amnesia, or does everyone just look at this game more favourably because it's part of the FFVII Compilation? The game is also disastrously short for the development time it had, and that isn't counting the 300-odd missions that are just samey rubbish, with recycled areas where you only start off in different corners each time. Why give me so many missions if they're essentially all the same? A pretense practice at substance?

You can even see where the enemies will pop up as aforementioned, and there's the ridiculous slot machines system to level up and use limit breaks. There's also having to rely on getting three Cissneis to perk up your chances of levelling up/levelling Materia/using a limit break, which by that point, made me ask: why bother? The game is essentially forbidding the player from some of the controls, and leaves the player to just roll around on the floor and spam the same button(s). For an action-RPG, it's a monotonously dull experience.

I admit, Zack is a better character in here than Cloud will ever be, though his constant "to become a hero!" had my Snow Villiers alarm going off. Actual personality that isn't too obnoxious? Optimistic, yet not terribly exaggerated? He's fair enough to stick with for the entirety of the game. Sephiroth? Christ, the guy as a sane and rational guy was very likeable - they did a good job there with that portrayal. Sadly, I'm not as convinced with how he was shown to become batshit crazy. Having Genesis blab something to him, and then spending the next week or so locked up in a library reading books before going pyromaniac on Nibelheim? Underwhelmingly lame.

And speaking of Genesis, I did kind of like him while I was playing. In retrospect however? The LOVELESS thing seemed to grow old and the guy is just a vanilla pretty-boy Gackt, who we are supposed to believe to be on a similar league to Sephiroth in more ways than one, though with nothing else going on for him. And it really helps that you have an arsehole goddess. "Oh, I am so flattered that Genesis was pining for me all this time. I think I will spare him and give HIM another chance at life as opposed to ummm...I dunno, that former SOLDIER chap and that Cetra girl who was instrumental in saving the world".

And that's Crisis Core in a nutshell for me. A linear romp of boredom. Did it live up to its expectations? Well, in a similar way to how when I was 5, I wanted to go up into space before I was 20. It hasn't happened.
Spamming the same button? compared to XIII, the game made it so that the monsters would vary, even though you "Could" spam X without using any materia, the game was also action, so monster could attack you and you would eventually had to cancel attacks by dodge or even then monsters that were immune to normal attacks. Eventually you would die by spamming X. you would have to use at least items and even then attempt to hit them on their back side to give a critical hit. any game you could spam an attack, but the problem is actually getting away with it. in XIII you can. in Crisis Core? you can't all the time.

Also, the DMW (lottery) only gave the illusion of being chance alone. The game "will" level you up and the chances get even higher. SO lets say you were suppose to level up 4-5 Levels ago. the game WILL level you up to where you're suppose to be. it's all based on hwo much SP you gain which makes the DMW spin faster but also measures how much you gain in order to level up.

though i admit, materia leveling up IS a hassle.

and OF COURSE Crisis Core was LINEAR!!!! it was a SPIN OFF, not a main game. and it was on PSP. when do you get to see a main game on PSP? take it for what you could've saw coming. Plus it was an older game, not the newer ones such as Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Final Fantasy Type-0 that nearly took over 4 years of development.

As for sephiroth's underwhelming epiphany. i doubt that was the core aspect of the game. the focus was on genesis. that was something more closer to what VII wuold've covered.

Last edited:
I just brought this game at a bargain bin, after reading reviews online with 10/10's and 9/10's, hoping for a really, really good game and Final Fantasy. But I played it, and after the intro. I disliked it. I thought that it was obnoxious and well...crap.

I don't understand, does anybody else feel this way ? The game's music seems like hardcore rock, and not usually beautifully orchestrated like original Final Fantasy games. Zack acts like a immature child and is a ladies man, and all the gameplay is, is just random battle, after random battle, and then while your fighting that random slot machine gets in the way. I may sound like a old fart. But the original was never like this at all. :hmph:The game just doesn't seem Final Fantasy-ish, or even Final Fantasy VII like. So far, Sephiroth has been getting extra treatment to look cool, or even badass and it just makes me want to puke. I'm guessing that it's going to have the Last Order version of the Nibelheim incident and Cloud isn't going to look like a hero ?:grumpy:

I just don't don't see how Zack can be a poplaur character, and this game can get so many good reviews. Does anybody else feel this way towards the game ? Or am I just a black sheep among the crowd ? It's just nothing like the original FF VII.
:disgust:

I had literally the exact same experience as you. As I've already mentioned before FF7 is my favourite of the series, and I looked forward to seeing Zack's backstory being expanded on. Plus after hearing all the mountains of praised heaped on CC and how it was even better than FF7 itself I thought I was in for something really epic. Needless to say, all I was in for was cruel, bitter disappointment. I mean, I had a feeling it probably wouldn't live up to the hype but I had no idea how monstrously horrible it turned out to be, pretty much for the same reasons you mentioned. You forgot to mention the characters; the new ones were just really lame, annoying and cringeworthy, the returning ones have been flanderized to hell and had their personalities stripped down to the most barebones archetypes. Especially Aerith, who in the original game came up with the idea for Cloud to crossdress, now needed Zack to come up with the idea to sell flowers because she's so dumb right?

Back