Your world turned upside down

Rydia

Throwing rocks at emo kids
Veteran
Gil
How would you react in these situations?

You found out that everything you believed in or stood for was wrong, not true, a lie, or bad for everyone in the long run. (Can include religion (even if you are an athiest), political views, science, issues you are passionate about)

The person who you admired or looked up to ended up being a fraud, a jerk, or among many things that wouldn't sit right with you. (can be a lover, a political figure, parents, or just someone you admired, among others)

A person with vastly differing opinions or a person you hate was right all along?

For the first two, I'd be very heartbroken and disappointed. There are some things that I am passionate about and believe in, and to find out that I was wrong would probably leave me in a state of depression. Hopefully I'd bounce back up when the reality sets in and continue to live the way I was prior.

For the third, I would definently be angry at first and not admit that the person was right. But eventually I'd start to accept the fact and warm up to the person.

Well you've got side white, side black and side grey.

Every once in awhile, somehow, side white gets supposedly revealed to be black, or side black gets supposedly revealed to be white. Although the truth of it is usually only decided by perception.

I like to think that I can stay within a safe grey area... however, the grey side while logical is just not very religiously sound - at any point in time I try to be objective (which is something I consider to come with being a theist), I start to get out of the grey side and become partial.

For #2, I'm not sure how I'd respond. That's a hard one.

For #3, lol it has happened before. I like to think that I don't really dislike anyone, but sometimes the opposing side is right.

You found out that everything you believed in or stood for was wrong, not true, a lie, or bad for everyone in the long run. (Can include religion (even if you are an athiest), political views, science, issues you are passionate about)

Well, this has already happened to me, several years ago now. The end result is that I just don't care anymore. When I realized that there were no absolutes, and that my views were no more or less true than anyone else's, my attitude to life changed: I no longer believe in anything at all. I'll never find a satisfactory answer to any of the questions I may have, so I see no point in asking them. Apathy is my answer.

The person who you admired or looked up to ended up being a fraud, a jerk, or among many things that wouldn't sit right with you. (can be a lover, a political figure, parents, or just someone you admired, among others)

If people push me, I'll push back harder. I don't let people fuck me around, I don't have the patience for it. I'm quite content to leave those people who I'm not overly keen on alone. I try to keep an open mind regarding people's personalities, etc - there is always going to be something about someone you don't like. I just bear with it or ignore it. I don't really admire or look up to anyone, because I'd have extremely high expectations of them if I did, and I know they'd let me down. Better to avoid that pitfall entirely.

A person with vastly differing opinions or a person you hate was right all along?

"Right" and "Wrong" are nothing more than perspectives to me, so this wouldn't bother me at all. I don't claim to be "right" in anything, I just have my opinions, like everyone else. If someone with a vastly differing opinion or someone I dislike makes a good point, I'll acknowledge it. Why wouldn't I? That they made a good point doesn't make them "right" or make them superior to me, or whatever. They just made a point I liked or agreed with. Good for them. I don't have so much pride that I'd discount a point just because I don't like it's source....I might complain a little about it, but that is just how I am. xD

In this situation, I accept the truth. I admit that I don't know everything, don't understand everything so if I am not right, it makes it much easier to adapt to the truth.

I don't trust anyone, even if I have known them since my childhood. It is just easier that way and that means that if they are someone completely different to what I knew, I can forget about them.

If that is the case, I just get pissed off and leave them alone. Not really. I try and look at there opinions from there point of view and see how it differs from mine. Instead of arguing, I try and create an understanding.

It really all depends what the situation is. But, It'd be extremely hard for me to deal with. I like to stand up and speak my mind and, to find that it was a lie and wrong, would crush me. Though, it may take time for me to accept it because I am so stubborn. I'll keep fighting though no matter what. If at first i fail, i'll get back up and try again.

This, would devastate me and may put me through severe depression. One of my worst nightmares is in fact, loosing my love. And, if it were the case where my lover turned out to be someone completely different and a jurk, it'd kill me to pieces. I look up to people for a reason, and if I found out that they changed (in a bad way) i'd be in a bit denial. It'd be hard for me to take in.

For me, this one isn't as big as an issue. Everyone has different opinions, I cannot change that whatsoever nor, will I try to. Sometimes, I might not see eye-to-eye with some people however, it doesn't give me the right to hold that against them. I am naturally stubborn so, if someone I hated was right all along, it'd be a bit ticked. I don't tend to hate people but so to speak.

This really wouldn't bother me I don't think, there are very few things I'd class my self as 'passionate' about and I couldn't really care less about about things such as science, religion and politics.

This has happened to me with my ex (who has since admitted breaking up was a massive mistake) I wouldn't class her anywhere near the first two and would quite happily get back into a relationship with her since it wasn't really a bad break up. However, it knocked me back massively that the break up was somewhat spontaneous and that she wasn't prepared to take the first rough patch we had - it's nothing dramatic really, but I really did feel stabbed in the back for about 2/3 months and closed myself off from other people for a while. At the same time, I got a hell of a lot of confidence out of it.

This wouldn't bother me at all, as Martel said, right and wrong is nothing more of a perspective and for about 99% of things in life, you could quite easily argue both sides of the coin.

Never been in that situation, probadly never will but id imagine id be a wee bit annoyed.

Then id go to the pub.

• The only thing that perhaps relates to this is my pescatarianism... And we all know that animals aren't bred or killed in a nice way. If they were, I would eat meat a couple of times a week. I know it's easier to get a balanced diet with meat, despite being possible without. If I found out being pescatarian was bad for everyone... then I suppose I'd eat meat as often as was good. ;)
  • If being agnostic was bad for everyone, I'd look into the various religions and try to make a decision about which applied to me. I think I believe in a higher power of some sort... I just don't know which religion teaches what is closest to the truth.

• I'd stop talking to them and admiring them... No point sticking around for a lie. :/

• Haha, I'd probably be rather embarrassed about having been wrong, but I wouldn't try to deny that they were right. Due to my age and lack of knowledge, I try to maintain a fairly balanced perspective of things, so it's unlikely they'd have 'vastly differing opinions...' Hating someone isn't really a reason to disvalue their opinions, unless of course said person believes that hurting others is okay or something. :gonk:

I would would immediatly suggest alternative possiblities in my mind, and find or rationalize other theories or perspectives which enable me to still believe in an option of my choice...there are enough unknowns in this world to relate anything to anything...:bored:

Since this happens a lot with everybody i know, I would not humiliate them, not much more than they supposedly humiliated me, but I would try to empathize, and merely interpret everything they said in a different way, whether i view them positively or negatively is simply arguing semantics or specifics. :P

Since I already dislike them, I would thank them for introducing me to something alternative, or some lesser form of new knowledge, but I would use some other form of manipulations to make them feel insecure, and doubt their own thoughts, while I ruminated on the information given to me, simply to use it again to perpetuate their downfall! :busta:

3] The belief one is easy for me I guess, I would simply change my views to what the evidence pointed towards. I do not believe in a God, so if it turned out there is a God that would be cool, because I'm sure he would be my pal in heaven. If something in science changes it is awesome, because it means we have so much to learn. A recent example would be the possibility of faster than light neutrinos

2] The respected person one is somewhat difficult to answer, unless it happens to me I guess I cannot formulate an answer. I'd imagine I'd be devastated though

1] Unless my mother is right about the whole 'eating like that will leave you dead before 20' I do not think I would mind this one too much

I would be very happen to learn that people are decent and altruistic. I think I'd be worried by the thought that I'd be going to hell, probably, but at least our names sound very very similar. There's no point crying over spilt milk.

There's no one I admire in that way. The closest thing to that would be Morrissey. I have already discovered that Morrissey is a bit of a prick. I still quite like him though.

I would refuse to admit that I was wrong. I would keep on saying that I was right and he/she was wrong.

1. I would be pissed and sad. I'm very passionate about everything I believe in, so for someone to tell me that basically, everything I've invested time, effort, and love into was a lie? I'll be pissed off. I would also be pretty shocked at first as well. I wouldn't be able to cope with it very well at all.

2. This actually kinda happened to me already. As a child, I was a huge fan of Chris Benoit. I did look up to him because of how he beat all the odds that life had put in front of him. Him and Eddie could have had a fairytale story. But Unfortunately, Benoit was a psycho. He killed his family in 2007, along with himself. I'll never forgive him for that. Regardless of what happened before that, what he did during those 3 days erased every good memory he gave me as a child.

3. Ehh, it would suck, but I won't stay mad. I'll admit I was wrong and move on. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I can't change it now.

You found out that everything you believed in or stood for was wrong, not true, a lie, or bad for everyone in the long run. (Can include religion (even if you are an atheist), political views, science, issues you are passionate about)

I won't get into religion, but I'll address the rest. Political views and science - I wouldn't give those too much thought. I'm not overly passionate about things like that anyway, so I can probably accept views that I was opposed to before, etc. Whether it'd be easy or hard, that's another matter. But I don't think it'll be a big issue for me.

I wouldn't try to make their lives harder, that's for sure. It's all a matter of perspective too. My perception on something may not actually be the case, or it could very well be, so I try to be tread carefully when it comes to things like this. I've had similar experiences in the past, and I've taken action according to what I think would be best for me and the other person.

I'll probably just slap my forehead for being a retard...although, 'hate' is a strong word and I don't actually hate anyone. Dislike, yes. And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I'm actually pretty quiet in real life when I'm proven wrong.

To all the questions I'd probably be largely indifferent. I've been surprised and disappointed more than enough times in the past to know anything is possible when it comes to what people are capable of, whether it's positive or negative. The only thing I could say would have a profound effect on my life would be my religion of course. It's not just where I'm from or how I was raised; it's a way of life.

1. You found out that everything you believed in or stood for was wrong, not true, a lie, or bad for everyone in the long run. (Can include religion (even if you are an athiest), political views, science, issues you are passionate about)

2. The person who you admired or looked up to ended up being a fraud, a jerk, or among many things that wouldn't sit right with you. (can be a lover, a political figure, parents, or just someone you admired, among others)

3. A person with vastly differing opinions or a person you hate was right all along?

In my personal opinion, all religion is flawed, science is an experiment, and politics are corrupt. I believe all of these things will have errors. There's no way in the world what I believe in is 100% true because in fact, there's others that would argue.... even in the name of science... even when there is proof, people will shut my beliefs down and shove theirs down my throat. I try my best not to meddle in others affairs and keep my beliefs to myself.

The second one, would really hurt. There's nothing that I could do to try and change the situation or person... obviously they didn't love me enough to be honest. I can deal with jerks, because I can be a jerk, but honesty and respect are a must.

I can't say I hate anyone, so the last one is ehhh. I can handle arguments and the truth. If you can prove me wrong, whatever why try fighting it? Say your piece and leave me in peace is all I ask. Don't start the hate-talk & putting me down or I will have a problem :watching:

Back