Seymour as the best FF villain

Demon

Don't ruin my cuin
Veteran
Gil
I don't think Seymour was quite as strong and dangerous as Kefka (VI villain) and Sephiroth (VII villain). But he did succeed at being cool, smart and creepy all at the same time.

I'll probably get crap for saying that Seymour was "smart", but I don't really take the view that his motives were completely driven by some form of mental illness.

I wouldn't credit him for his motives either. He wanted to "become one with Sin" to destroy Spira, and consequently cure it. Mental illness or no, that's pretty messed up.

However, as an antagonist he is enjoyable. I'm not just looking at him slaying countless Ronso single-handedly, or even defying death, but kissing Yuna in front of the party and absolutely loving it for all the wrong reasons. Such small-scale malevolence is quite delicious indeed, and intriguing. Would I say he was the best villain? I don't think I could provide an informed response; having not played all the games it's a bit of a handicap. Judging from the villains witnessed though, I'd say not, though ranks quite highly.

Last edited:
I actually HATE Seymour. Hate him.
I suppose that makes him one of the best FF villains there is, since most of the others I actually quite like and think are pretty cool. :mokken:

I don't even know why I hate him. He's just... a prick. :gasp:

I wouldn't go as far as saying "best ff villain" He's okay but he never made a big impact on me. He was kinda cool at first but I kinda got bored with him after a while. He felt like a wannabe villain to me with the cliche pervy/creepy/crazy mask on :/ I just never got into him that much and for most of the game I forgot about his character completely O__O He's not too memorable to me and not really as good as other villains but I'll say he's decent because of his creepiness :P

Perhaps not the best villain in the series, but he is memorable.

His act from the beginning made me want to punch him and break his unusually sticky hair. However, if you hate a villain, then I guess the villain's characterisation has been played very well. He was even more twisted towards his death and that was greatly expanded on afterwards. I found his obsession with Yuna quite funny, though the next one with becoming Sin was just a whole new level of weird.

Best villain of the series? No.

Best villain for the game? Of course.

Seymour is a bit of an odd kind of villain to me in terms of my reception towards him. On one hand I can't help but love him as a delightful bastard of an antagonist whose childhood anguish has twisted him into this sinister figure throughout much of the game. Yes, he suffered in life, and what conclusion does he come to? Kill everyone else and 'liberate' them from the suffering that life brings of course. Delightful indeed. It may not be the most thrilling or original of villain motives I've ever seen, but it is interesting to consider late in the game just how he tries to go around accomplishing this goal.

On the other hand though, I never really liked the fact that later on he becomes more of a pest and a hindrance than a real, menacing threat. Much of the sinister aura of this character is dramatically lost after Macalania in my opinion and while he does redeem himself significantly in Bevelle, it's his third and fourth comings after that makes him seem more annoying to run into than anything. Seymour has the potential to be a really sinister villain - he's twisted and has the twisted goal to accompany his personality - but it's just lost later on. So I can't say he's the best at all.

As much as I'd hate to say it, Seymour isn't THE best villian in Final Fantasy history - but still, I love him. Haha. As I played the game through a couple of summers ago, I was not expecting his betrayal or his motives when they were exposed. I'd say he's a good schemer (to get everyone in Spira to side with him, even when the party killed him for the right reasons.), he's a good fighter (the third battle was a REAL pain in the ass), and he has an interesting history about himself from what I've learned. That and he's on my bish list. I (whether you all like it or not) find him attractive to be half human and half Guado. So he's not the very best antagonist of FF ever, but he is on my list of favorites .

Seymour the best villian? I don't think so, he was really just an annoyance to me. As he kept appearing at every point and wasn't really a necessary character in my opinion, he was annoying as a man, getting in the way of the Tidus/Yuna romance, and basically wanting to use Yuna.

He was annoying as a boss, difficult to beat on Mt Gagazet but pretty much easy anywhere else you encountered him. And he was even annoying before I knew he was a bad guy (which didn't take long to figure out). He wasn't even complex enough for my liking of the bad guys, just a guy who had a sucky life so thought that all life should end because it sucks.

Seymour the best villian? I don't think so, he was really just an annoyance to me. As he kept appearing at every point and wasn't really a necessary character in my opinion, he was annoying as a man, getting in the way of the Tidus/Yuna romance, and basically wanting to use Yuna.

He was annoying as a boss, difficult to beat on Mt Gagazet but pretty much easy anywhere else you encountered him. And he was even annoying before I knew he was a bad guy (which didn't take long to figure out). He wasn't even complex enough for my liking of the bad guys, just a guy who had a sucky life so thought that all life should end because it sucks.

Lol you made him sound like an "emo".

He is, like someone before me mentioned, cool, smart and creepy but that's about it. As a boss he pissed me off to the point of not wanting to play the game for days on end just to cool off, but once you figure out the "trick" for most of the Seymour battles, you'll find him laughable at best.

All in all, he's far from the best FF villian, battle-wise.

Nah never liked Seymour to begin with. Sure he sounds like a bastard and all but thats not enough... He did have a twisted scheme though. He is not the best Final Fantasy villian...Not even close. He annoyed me throughout the game. The wedding scene made me hate him even more. Thing is he cant rival some FF villlians. Kefka for example is much more evil xD. But he did have his ways.. If they made him stick with his evil side Seymour would have been a much better villian.. Not just oh let me approach you and fight you kinda way :hmmm: After you beat him on Mount gagazet he is just shit in general :lew:

I can't say he's the best, but I do think he makes a good villain. He goes from mysterious to fu*king bonkers throughout the story. I give him a solid B+

I actually HATE Seymour. Hate him.
I suppose that makes him one of the best FF villains there is, since most of the others I actually quite like and think are pretty cool. :mokken:

I don't even know why I hate him. He's just... a prick. :gasp:
Same. xD

I don't think he was cool, or anything. Smart? Maybe. But I guess the whole reason he COULD be a good villian, in my book, is because I hate him so damn much. xD

He's the easiest out of every villian (IMO), so... he's not the best in that regard.

I adore Seymour. He has that brilliant "Oh, for fuck's sake, NOT AGAIN!" feel to him. He just doesn't know how to die. He keeps coming back, and each time he gets progressively harder and more aggravating. I love unbelievably tenacious bastards like that, especially in villains. He also had some rather interesting philosophies and motives, an awesomely creepy and aristocratic voice actor (that sold it for me immediately, since his was the first decent voice in the game), and a fairly creepy theme, as well...oh, plus there was the whole summoning Anima sequence. That was both awe-inspiring and terrifying the first time I saw it. Seymour was interesting, refined, somewhat attractive and irritating in a very loveable fashion ♥

However, there is one small thing I don't like about him...his complete insanity at the end. That really, REALLY didn't suit him. It was completely random and thus ruined his character entirely, and the whole thing felt like a diversion from the final boss...it lacked the epic feel of the previous Seymour battles. I didn't like how he was just cast aside for others who, really, didn't measure up at all. The final boss didn't even make that much sense, and who really gives a damn about Jecht? Seymour's one and only failing is that he isn't the final boss. He falls just short of being all he could be, which is a real shame...

...plus when Vayne came along in FFXII, he took class to a whole new level. Seymour might have done it first, but Vayne far outclasses him. Sometimes I think of Seymour as the prototype for Vayne who, fortunately, took it all the way.

♥Love Freak Flonne♥;841922 said:
However, there is one small thing I don't like about him...his complete insanity at the end. That really, REALLY didn't suit him. It was completely random and thus ruined his character entirely, and the whole thing felt like a diversion from the final boss...it lacked the epic feel of the previous Seymour battles. I didn't like how he was just cast aside for others who, really, didn't measure up at all. The final boss didn't even make that much sense, and who really gives a damn about Jecht? Seymour's one and only failing is that he isn't the final boss. He falls just short of being all he could be, which is a real shame

I think he was trying and trying to become Sin himself, to abuse the power of a godlike figure, that the urge for power eventually consumed him. I don't think his insanity was random, but more of a slow growing issue throughout the game.

I, however, hated him. Such an annoying mini boss with the exception of Mt. Gagazet, which was only a true test your first attempt at it. Plus his voice was....off. I try not to let that be a deciding factor, but I just can't help it, I hated that voice actor.

...plus when Vayne came along in FFXII, he took class to a whole new level. Seymour might have done it first, but Vayne far outclasses him. Sometimes I think of Seymour as the prototype for Vayne who, fortunately, took it all the way.

I do agree with this, strongly. Vayne just took what Seymour was meant to become, and obliterated it.

Overall, Seymour is number 4 on the list.

Seymour was a decent Villain. In Bevelle is were his character was the best before that no one knew he was a villain and after that he became annoying but in Bevelle his character peaked. The whole thing about Kinoc not trusting Seymour and coming with him only to be killed by Seymour and Seymour making out with Yuna in front of the party then saying kill them right afterwards so coldly. However Bevelle is only part of the game and villains like Kuja and Kefka are always reminding you how great they are by out doing themselves ever time they show up. Hojo was even more of an accomplished villain.

Seymour is an awful villain, as gaudy as his hairstyle and as sickening as his open kimono. Its not only his horrible character design, its his stock FF plan of destroying everything to create some twisted form of peace. Makes no sense.
long live Kefka

Seymour is the one and only villain in any game to truly get on my nerves. Every single scene with him in, even the mere sight of him, makes my blood boil. :hmph: Does that make a good villain?

Well, in some ways I suppose it does since the player strongly believes they're evil, but I feel the best villains are those you can empathise with, even if you disagree with their actions. The character's morality shouldn't be black and white. Caius from XIII-2 is a good example. SPOILER
He seeks destruction because the girl he loves with all his heart must suffer, again and again. If time stops, she won't have to suffer and never will have suffered. You can't help but feel for him. It's also believable; there are ordinary, sane people who'd sacrifice another to save a loved one from torture. (I can only hope they don't destroy this concept in XIII-3 by making Yuel and Caius an evil duo!)
END SPOILER

I had no empathy for Seymour. He was simply messed up in the head.

A few people have said that Seymour was messed up but intelligent. However, I'm not sure he was all that smart. :hmmm: He was calculating, but his intelligence was limited by his insanity. His motives actually negated his intelligence... Believing 'I will save Spira by destroying it' is just a little bit stupid. :lew:

He isn't even anywhere near the list of great villains. What did he accomplish? Marrying Yuna? Which didn't amount to anything at all. He pestered you throughout the entire game with minor improvements in every battle, except for the last which was a joke. Seymour was in no way a good villain. Squenix tried to inject the 'elegant evil' attitude into him as had been done before with Kuja, but it failed miserably.

I like him as a villain until near halfway the end of the game he really should of died and be sent on Mt Gagazet instead of dragging him out with yet another battle inside Sin. It just made him tiresome just adding in too many battles with the guy.

He has a creepy stalkish sort of feel at first but then his villainous plots get sort of twisted and dark after the wedding with Yuna. However Square pushed him a little too much and they really should of made the showdown at Gagazet the final showdown with him.

The gamer has way too many fights with him and while he's in the 'stalkish' villainous role it's too hard to take him seriously example his goofy hat during the wedding.

Kefka, Caius and Kuja are better Final Fantasy villains.

Eh. I hate Seymour, but I can't deny he's an okay villain. The best? Hell no. Not even close. Is he better than other FF villains (or FF's that lacked any real villain at all)....yeah.

My main problem with Seymour isn't that I hated him for what he does in the game. I hate him for just being so annoying. The constant battles, the way he talked (creepy pedo voice), the way he dressed, his FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE RIDICULOUS HAIR. There were just so many things that bugged the hell out of me.

Back