FFVI: Love It or Hate It?

Lebreau

I am colorblind ; coffee black and egg white.
Veteran
Gil
If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.

Please try and elaborate on your posts, as short spammy posts may be deleted without warning.

It's one of the best, if not the best.
Kefka was my favorite FF villian, even if he was slightly annoying. In my opinion, he had the most intresting personality out of every character in the FF series.
I also loved it because there were so many characters...about 14 if I remember. I found it intresting you could split into three teams and actually control them all.
The music is the best in the series, I think. (Especially the world map music :D)
FF6 could be my favorite FF game. There is almost no reason to dislike it.

Last edited:
Probably my second favorite game of the series. I still think that VI had the best characters and story of the series. I emphasized with nearly every character and I think Terra is the most well developed main character of the main series. (Her growth through the game was amazing) And she had one of the coolest reasons for "special" as a main character. (lol refering to another thread)

VI also had one of the best plot twists ever in a video game. It still ranks as one of my favorite video game moments ever. And you can't forget the Opera House scene which is another classic moment.

Kefka is probably my favorite villian of the series. He is pure evil with a little background of being experiement on which may have led to the way he is. And he is the only villian to actually accomplish his goal. And he is the satisfying final boss to kill considering all the events in the game.

I liked it, especially the fact that Kefka actually succeeded in making the world his. I don't think any other villain succeeded in their evil endeavors.

Like it. VI and VII are the only two best FFs created so of course I love it. it had great characters and a good storyline. I only wish the graphics were better.

This game trulu is a clasic, one of the best RPGs I had vever played and it deserves its props.

I love it, It had the best storyline out of any final fantasy I've played (which would be all of them:P).
The characters we're detailed, and every one had a story to tell.
Basically, it was amazing!

FF VI is strong in plenty of areas where even many of today's games (RPG or otherwise) lack.

Here are some key points:

- Even tho some parts of the story were linear, a good balance of open world exploration was integrated into the game. More often than not, players get rewarded well for exploring.

- The game has a crap ton of Secrets, Easter Eggs. Hidden areas, treasures, secret play strategies and even hidden characters are some of the rewards for persistent explorers.

- Very few items are useless. Most of what you get / buy / find will serve you well up until you out-level the need to keep using them. This goes to show that a lot of heart was put into game design.

- The game has high replay value. I'm going out on a limb and compare this to a fairly recent Game - Batman Arkham Asylum. Don't get me wrong - I love B:AA, and in fact I played through it several times. But the replay value kinda dies down after you solve all the riddles, get the achievements, and beat the challenges. And there isn't much flexibility during your next play through. You can go through FF VI again and again in a diverse number of ways, using different strategies and characters each time, and this is regardless of whether or not you dig up all the secrets and stuff.

- You have a good variety of Characters. A LOT of them in fact. And each one, apart from Gogo and Umaro have well written backgrounds to go with them.

- Kefka Palazzo. Enough hatred for him was built up, that you just want to go in and kick his a...

I could go on, but i think that was more than enough to make my point.

Love and peace!!

I love it, though it doesn't make the top three in the series for me. I genearally have mixed feelings about its fanbase, as they will claim anything that sounds positive about this game, even if it isn't true and even if it isn't actually good. Since a product should not be judged by its fanbase, it matter little anyway.

For a game that is known for having a cast of characters with unique abilities, this game realizes the concept remarkably badly. Most abilities, instead of actually doing something unique, will simply have a differenciated manner of imput, and simply cause damage like anything else does. The abilities that actually do something unique, such as Steal and Runic, have limited usefulness due to the game's design. The Magic command is so overpowered that it easily outclasses those other commands from the middle point in the game on.
The story is interesting enough, with a small group rising against an empire, like Final Fantasy II and IV, but enacted by more captivating characters. I take special heed of Terra that could be blamed for all of the supposedly bad characteristics that make other protagonists in the series be hated, such as being introspective and depressed, like Cecil, Cloud and Squall, yet she never gets the bad reputation the others do.
This game's claim to greatness for me is the post-apocayptic scenario after the Floating Continent. It's very well done (aside from almost every town being mostly spared by the cataclism). The story's strong point is the scenario from that point, and the player gains freedom to roam around and do sidequests, resembling a Western RPG at that point. It's a pity all the optional bosses were so easy.
Anyway, I believe I've played all versions of this game at least twice. Shouldn't be touching it again soon.

Last edited:
What? Their attacks are completely different and very unique.
You are judging it because the graphics couldn't change greatly for each individual character?
And because Terra isn't hated for being "depressed" like other characters (Cloud & Squall) you give her a bad (and clearly biased) mark? Because she isn't hated like others?

I have a strong feeling your favorite FF game is a FF7 game and you are just sayin' this because of that one reason lol

What? Their attacks are completely different and very unique.
You are judging it because the graphics couldn't change greatly for each individual character?
And because Terra isn't hated for being "depressed" like other characters (Cloud & Squall) you give her a bad (and clearly biased) mark? Because she isn't hated like others?

I have a strong feeling your favorite FF game is a FF7 game and you are just sayin' this because of that one reason lol

I explained why I don't think they were all that unique. If you don't understand my comments, why do you reply to them?

The graphical part doesn't have anything to do with it. It's the fact those abilities only cause damage for most part while magic does everything else. They could've given magic less uses and spread the other effects, like making Slots multitarget buffing moves.

I don't dislike Terra. I dislike the fact she is judged differently from the rest, when she is fact not better than they are. And I am not bashing Terra.

I genearally have mixed feelings about its fanbase, as they will claim anything that sounds positive about this game, even if it isn't true and even if it isn't actually good.

I.e: I don't think that having characters with unique abilities is better than having them totally customizable, and I don't think depressed characters are necessarily bad.

This game has great meaning for me, for years was the only final fantasy I had and the first I played.
Hours and hours spent in front of the old playstation to play it.

Just got the game yesterday and I absolutely love it. Im about 2 1/2 hours in finishing Locke's scenario. (I still have yet to do the other two) The characters are great, I like what plot there is so far, and a lot of things are unanswered and mysterious in the beginning which keeps me playing.

The game was a lot of fun up until Kefka decided to blow up everything and separate my entire party, after which I got sick of trying to hunt from town to town talking to each and every NPC in a desperate attempt to force the game to progress. I pretty much lost all interest in the storyline at that point.

In otherwords, definitely an interesting storyline, but it's still not as good as the later games.

Haven't completed it yet, but just like other FF games, it's highly addictive with its great storyline, touching scenes, interesting characters and a great gameplay. So for me - Love it.

Such a great game. I've playing through it again for the 4th time, so you know I'm a fan :yay:. I'm currently hunting the dragons down with my ridiculously powerful party. Ahhh it never gets old,, hope the remakes awesome

Love it! It's my favorite of the entire series. I guess it's just bias talking though since it's the only game I was able to ever complete. I am playing it again after many years and have fallen back in love with it.

I really don't like this game. People praise it to heaven and back, but I found it very mediocre and it did not live up to my expectations. Kefka was fine though. Terra, however, was the worst Final Fantasy protagonist ever in my opinion.

Back