Where the movies went wrong.

Star Beast

Lone Warrior
Gil
now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the movies but Square enix made one major flaw in both of them, and that one flaw is...they weren't epic enough. I mean both films were set in like one place for the entire time and there was no adventure involved. imagine advent chldren if they went to places like rocket city, kalm or costa del sol, but no they decide to introduce a new city that wasn't in the game! I mean who cares about edge!

I think if they decide to make another one...they should just take one of the games...preferrably 6 and just make that the movie. I would so love to see the world get destroyed on the BS.

and the Tower fight at the end...SO EPIC!

come on Sqeeenix. Let me be your guide!

While that sounds all fine and good, imagine how fucking long the film would be if they included more places? It's like...and hour and a bit already with just Edge and a few other places, if they included more places that film would have been insanely long.

So, while other places would have been nice, I guess, I think the places they did show worked fine with the time.

whats wrong with having a movie thats like 3 hours long, lotr were good films. but i think if there is a final fantasy film it should include some adventure.

yeah i mean come on...look at lord of the rings...3-4 hours...so why not a FF. or make it two parts like Kill Bill.

could you imagin a 6 hour FF? some people would be bored, but I could sit all 6 hours and be amazed!

so when they make there next film (probably part of fabola crystllis saga) hopefully they have a go at making it adventurous!

Maybe they don't care about going the extra distance when creating their movies. They pull in the cash either way.

Advent Children complete will be a lot longer than the original, it'll be all filled up with deleted scenes like where Cloud gets lifted up on Sephy's sword. Probably because of SE's money savvy, knowing fankids wanted a longer film >_<

As for Spirits Within, can't comment, I really didn't understand what was happening in that film *_*

whats wrong with having a movie thats like 3 hours long, lotr were good films. but i think if there is a final fantasy film it should include some adventure.

Um...3 hour films are too long and your ass is sore from sitting down for so long? Not to mention it's really hard to draw out a movie to that length without it becoming boring at some point.

As for the LotR films......I could disagree with you there. I was fortunate enough to have read the trilogy before the movies came out, so I was rather offended by them. Moreover, I won't ever be able to read those books again because I'm always doing to see Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom in my head. I loathe the existence of those movies.

Maybe they don't care about going the extra distance when creating their movies. They pull in the cash either way.

Quite possible....but I imagine it's also very costly to make a film completely in CGI, so they were probably trying to keep production costs in mind and wondered in the back of their minds whether or not the film would go over well. After all, before AC came out they had no idea that VII fanfags would waste their money on anything with VII in the name.

Square went wrong with the opening battle of Advent Children.

Zomg, spinning bikes and goggles that have protection against headshot status. The only fights that weren't bullshit were Tifa vs Loz and Cloud vs Kadaj in Midgar's ruins.

Not a fan.

I wouldn't even start comparing Advent Children to the Lord of The Rings trilogy. There was a reason that the LoTR won 17 Oscars and AC won none, and it wasn't because of the length of the film. The acting itself was pretty lame to be honest, there was hardly any emotions (apart from depression) in it, and Nomura made the characters look more feminine too! Start from there and you'll realize why the movies went wrong.

I liked The Spirits Within, but it wasn't really Fantasy, more SciFi. And Advent Children was just a fightfest. There was little story in it at all! And Mercurial's points are alos all valid. But that's because Final Fantasy is so complicated. One film would have to span over 3 films to be of the same epic quality as the games. Lord of the Rings length. :P

The animation in Spirits Within are among the best I've ever seen in a CGI-based movie (dunno how Beowulf was though!)... However, I was really surprised that it bombed so spectacularly at the box office...

Didn't that failure also kill off the movie's production house (forgot the name) hopes of making such movies in future?

The animation in Spirits Within are among the best I've ever seen in a CGI-based movie (dunno how Beowulf was though!)... However, I was really surprised that it bombed so spectacularly at the box office...

Didn't that failure also kill off the movie's production house (forgot the name) hopes of making such movies in future?
I still think that what kills that movie on the theaters, was the fact that it has the "Final Fantasy" name on it. If the movies wasn't related with the franchise, it could have a better performance.

And also, that most people was expecting something related with FFVII at that time; instead of an original story. Which is sad; i really like the movie and somehow the message (about not shooting giant beams against the planet ;))

In a way I agree with u there, Cess... I was thinking Aki Ross was someone from an upcoming FF game but I was wrong... Should the title be, say, just "The Spirits Within", then it would have been a different outcome altogether...

Btw, are there any plans to make a "related" Final Fantasy movie anytime soon? Hoping to see my Yuna on the big screen someday! :D

I wouldn't even start comparing Advent Children to the Lord of The Rings trilogy. There was a reason that the LoTR won 17 Oscars and AC won none, and it wasn't because of the length of the film. The acting itself was pretty lame to be honest, there was hardly any emotions (apart from depression) in it, and Nomura made the characters look more feminine too! Start from there and you'll realize why the movies went wrong.
Good point there. AC, Spirits Within... Those movies weren't as good as we'd all like to think. Nomura knew that the fans of FF will appreciate the movie but what he didn't think about is getting more successful by putting in more logic and detail into the movie so that non-final-fantasy-fans would undestand it. Too bad AC has no oscars but I guess it doesn't deserve any.

I think that square enix should try again maybe with a spinoff of another final fantasy and see what works and what doesnt work and keep trying until they perfect the art of movie making

personally i liked AC but i think that it lacked depth, spirits within i never saw

I would have loved it, of they made it more epic too.

MOD EDIT

Please put more effort into your post. One liners are not allowed and are considered spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked both movies but neither were blockbusters. They both had "flaws" as far as plot and consistency issues were concerned. In the end they're both really just fan-service movies with no real intent to be taken seriously or as canon. They could've been better but ultimately they both succeeded in getting most FF fan's money, especially Advent Children. I see nothing wrong with that either.

Back