FFXII: Love It or Hate It?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
Since FFXII seems to be one of the two FF games (the other being FFVIII) where people either Love it or Hate it i thought it would be nice to create a stickied thread asking that very question.

Use this thread to debate the Pros / Cons of FFXII and debate for / against it ^_^

Actually I'm pretty balanced with this game; I hated certain things and loved them, as well.

If there was anything I loved about this game, it was the fact that Square was trying to do something new - but I also kinda hated the fact that they changed lots of things beyond recognition. Now, I'm obviously not saying that I want everything to stay traditional, but the games shouldn't each be so radically different that Square could easily market it as separate from the Final Fantasy franchise.

Another thing I loved was the politics and the balance between social delicacy and ruthlessness - but of course this is something I hated as well, because the politics totally gets dropped toward the end in favor of supernatural with the tacked on Occuria ending.

Also, while the scenery was quite elaborately rendered, I felt detached from it emotionally. None of the places you went to really meant anything from each other. Take Dalmasca - it's Vaan and Penelo's home, yet it hardly seems like they feel attached to anything in it. You don't get to see their actual home.

The only place that came close to being emotionally and symbolically important was Eruyt VIllage and Fran's connection with it - but the emotional impact gets pretty much evaded, as Fran only enters the village proper one time (and it struck me as a bit anticlimactic when she does, as the other Viera don't really do much to repel her, except with words).

In other games, we got locations with real emotional ties to the characters that were fully expressed. Places like Aeris' Church in FVII, Kohlingen in FFVI, Home in FFX, and Trabia Garden in FFVIII.

In past games, the locations really meant something, and each one would hold a distinct emotional quality to it, but it's all a little fuzzy in FFXII.

Love it, obviously. I've given my reasons elsewhere in MANY other topics about what I like about this game, so look elsewhere ;P

Lovelovelovelovelove. The ONLY thing I disliked about this game was how useless Vaan was as a main character.

Contrary to that, though, notice how Ashe frequently says, 'Don't interrupt me, Vaan.' This might be taken as an indication that the story is actually intended to follow Ashe and not Vaan - he gets his moments, but it's actually about Ashe.

I'm sort of in-between, I suppose. I don't love it, nor do I hate it. I'm just okay with it. Like Judge Rulia, I stated many reasons why I'm just okay with it. Everything was well done, yes...but I just can't connect to the story and the character, Vaan.

Woot the "love it" is winning. I've stated many times my opinion on this. I'll summarize- Love the new battle system and set up, it was refreshing. Felt the story was cut short and should have gone more in-depth.

Im about 40 hours into the game and Im balanced with it. I dont love it, but I dont hate it. I like the game, I like the characters, soundtrack, license grid and the amount of sidequests.

Hahaha, emo game? Darls, you need to be looking at FFVII and calling that emo 8D

Hahaha, emo game? Darls, you need to be looking at FFVII and calling that emo 8D

It's a joke me and AG have. I was telling him how my characters will randomly decide to not make any actions at all, even though i have their gambits set and turned on. He said it was emo and couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted my characters to die or not xD

And yes...that gambit malfunction really does happen to me, it's happened about 4 times in the past week. And VII isn't emo, but its crappy spinoffs are <.<

And i'm still waiting for that "both" option on the pole, AG *taps fingers against the desk*

I love FFXII.

When images and trailers were first released for XII, I have to be honest and say I wasn't to thrilled with the way it looked or sounded.

Then I got it, and was obsessed with it. I had such low expectations for the whole game, that when I played it I was blown away.

The only complaints I have are

a.) the music (I find it boring)

b.) the complete uselessness of the espers

c.) the espers have such kickass back stories...and are useless. Yes that counts as a separate complaint :P

Otherwise it all kicks ass. Oh, and Balthier <3

It's a joke me and AG have. I was telling him how my characters will randomly decide to not make any actions at all, even though i have their gambits set and turned on. He said it was emo and couldn't make up it's mind whether it wanted my characters to die or not xD

And yes...that gambit malfunction really does happen to me, it's happened about 4 times in the past week. And VII isn't emo, but its crappy spinoffs are <.<

And i'm still waiting for that "both" option on the pole, AG *taps fingers against the desk*

ROFLMAO.

I love this game actually, even though my only grievance against it is also related to the gambit system. It's really frustrating; no, not that glitch that VR just mentioned. I hated how there were priorities so sometimes in the middle of the battle, my characters would just stop, cast a crapload of magick spells that served no purpose whatsoever, and then took about 3 minutes just to get back to hitting and killing again.
I could've switched the gambits around, I know, but I was too lazy too and was too dumb to figure it out so quickly through the game. xD

Just remembered something that was awesome and totally balls at the same time. The fact that the bestiary was so detailed and really gave the sense of a collection of folklores and legends... in spite of the fact that the story of the main game was so spare and seemed more like a montage of the actual events.

Of course the characters weren't emo. They never exhibited much emotion during the entire game. I call them bots. XD

Didn't really like XII. I've actually finally stopped playing because finishing it just isn't worth it too me. It's just boring to tell you the truth. And don't give me this "OMG it had such a deep story!" I've seen that same story several times.

ROFLMAO.

I love this game actually, even though my only grievance against it is also related to the gambit system. It's really frustrating; no, not that glitch that VR just mentioned. I hated how there were priorities so sometimes in the middle of the battle, my characters would just stop, cast a crapload of magick spells that served no purpose whatsoever, and then took about 3 minutes just to get back to hitting and killing again.
I could've switched the gambits around, I know, but I was too lazy too and was too dumb to figure it out so quickly through the game. xD

SE should have at least fixed the damn gambit system and made it not so glitchy. Before boss fights i always read ahead to see what status-healing gambits i need so i set my gambits accordingly, for example:

Ally: HP<60% -> Curaga
Ally: status Blind -> Blinda
Foe: nearest visible -> Attack

But more than half the time, even though i'll have status healing as second priority, my characters just don't do it, so i have to manually make them cure statuses.

I'd be much more fond of gambits if they would actually decide to WORK properly for once.

i don't love it or hate it. i think its a good, solid RPG, just not a great final fantasy. im playing it right now, and whether id like to admit it or not im enjoying it much more the second time around. i don't love or hate, but i'd say im leaning more towards loving it than hating it for sure.

Well, I really like this game. Right now it is looking to be one of my faviourites.

I think that the battle system is great, and the story just seems so, well, human. I know it has nethesite and everything, but it seems a lot less like good versus evil type thing. If you get what I am saying.

All in all, I like it. Although I do agree that Vaan is not the main character. lol.

I love it but I am still getting used to the battle system and gambits.

Back