War of the Lions WotL Party Suggestions?

VillainFan42

Ex-Soldier
Gil
FFXIV
Arza Ra'qael
Free Company
Prelude of Light <Lux>
I recently started playing FF Tactics War of the Lions for the first time, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I can't say for sure, but I feel like I'm nearing the end of chapter 1 and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the options. This strikes me as one of those games where I need to have my endgame party planned from the beginning. Here's what I'm going to try to aim for, I want to know if I thought this through enough.

Also, I don't really feel like unlocking the Dark Knight class, and the Mathematician doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Ramza is going to be either a Knight or Dragoon with Mettle. Mettle should be obvious, but mainly I want the primary class to have good equipment options.

Second, I want a hybrid of Samurai and Monk. Not sure which one will be the dominant class, but probably Samurai, since I would imagine it to have better equipment options.

My third character will have Ninja as the dominant class and Mystic as the secondary class. Is the Mystic even worth it? How much faith does the character need to have a decent success rate?

Fourth, I want a hybrid White Mage and Bard. Which one should be dominant? I think White Mage since it has a higher speed and MP.

My last party member will be either a Black Mage or a Summoner with Time Mage as the secondary. I think Black Mage would be a bit more MP/Speed efficient based on the little (read: zero) research I have done. Is it a bad idea to have 2 magic-using classes attached to one character? Would that wreak havoc on their MP? Should I attach Time Magic to the above samurai and make my Black Mage part monk?

You probably gathered I'm not too familiar with Tactics. I'm still in Chapter 1, but this seems like the kind of game where I need to plan way ahead.

Well mixing some of those mage classes with your melee is already a bad idea as any primary melee job with any of the mage assist like black/white magic etc is already gonna have a huge hit to their effective mp pool, you won't be able to cast some of the higher level spells without relying on items like elixers r hi-ethers, or a monk's Chakra ability. One of your jobs later down the road does unlock mp walk, but the mp regen isn't that great. Ramza makes for a great Ninja honestly but towards endgame you may seriously want to keep him as a Squire because of some of the bonus Guts abilities that are exclusive to him. As you are only nearing the end of chapter 1 well lets just say there are a lot of great characters that will be joining you in the upcoming chapters, with one of them being very game breaking because he will be that amazing. You could easily fit these characters into other roles but their default ones will be their best ones. Having two mage abilities tied to a mage character is actually a good idea for damage reasons, your summoners while can do more group damage as compared to a black mage their higher damage spells will take longer to cast, so unless you invest in some of the other jobs again kinda like the math one who would be able to cast spells instantly(will require loads of sp to get the right combinations) but they usually assist one another. It won't be until the end area jobs that you can kinda reverse this ie learning all the mage jobs as a male to unlock bard and melee for females to unlock dancer. These two unique jobs offer great versatility on the battle field to cover the weakness of the gender roles in battle.

As for your faith you want to avoid it going to high 75ish is a nice safe number but if you go to much higher like 77-78-80+ you will run the risk of your units leaving your party because their faith in god will be so high they see you as to blood thirsty for their taste in religion. Likewise keeping it low will somewhat benefit you as they will take far less magic damage but also if as a healer they wouldn't be effective. Likewise with your Bravery the higher the better but the lower it gets around 20-30 the unit could turn "chicken"(and in battle an actual chicken) and leave your party for being too cowardly.

Mathematician really is worth the trouble it will bypass so many things if used correctly. All in all if you want a more challenging end game then using your reg units you will need a more balanced party that ninja/mystic would be bad. Samurai is kinda bad as well unless you really want to grind for the katannas as they have a nasty habit of breaking(especially the higher end ones). A chemist would be all around or even a mystic itself just because of the use of guns that will open up in chapter 2/3 in 3 you will be able to get the element guns(most found on maps so look up the grid spots, and from side battles on maps) These guns are basic free cast of your fire/thunder/blizzard spells from 1-4 it's random but always nice damage if used right. And as mentioned the future characters that will join you will often have their own unique abilities to tone down some difficulty but still a challenge if you make them more versatile, keep in mind they will shine at their best with their default jobs(most are supped up version of your basic jobs).

-Thread moved to Ivalice Alliance section-

Well, looking as this seems like the first time you played this, a piece of advice, Make sure Ramza's Squire ability is maxed, and also make sure in one certain fight he is a squire since there is a move he can only learn and it is in that one fight.

With that also being said, my advice is if you plan on using the "unique" characters (you will get quite a few of them in later chapters) to go for mages, since the unique characters will easily be your physical attackers

I still doubt I'll use the Arithmatician, since its low speed will no doubt drive me insane. I currently have a ninja with Equip Swords, which is currently my main damage dealer. I decided to unlock the Dragoon for Ramza just because, my Black Mage is doing double duty as a Time Mage, I am still aiming for a White Mage/Bard combo. My last unit is rotating between Knight, Monk, and Geomancer.

Couple questions: Will Black Magic continue to be useful late in the game or should I switch to summons? Do katanas require both hands to wield or is that just an option? Which class- Time Mage, Black Mage, or Summoner- has the best MP reserves? How useful are Geomancy and/or Martial Arts lategame? And lastly, am I overleveled? I mean, something tells me Chapter 2 is a bit too early to be consistently using Curaga. (My party is around level 20 by the way, and I just reached... Lionel Castle, I think it was called.)

Also, Dionysos, thanks for moving this thread. I couldn't find a dedicated Tactics forum and I didn't think to check XII for some reason.

You really can't be "over-leveled" as most of the enemies will scale with you or at least they scale to Ramza himself. Your summoner will have the largest mp pool, and yes katanas do require two hands to wield. Both Geomancy and Martial Arts though more with the martial arts since it has Chakra for small heal and some status removal. Geomancy well if you learn all the terrain types it's versatile. And the Arithmatician won't be slow once you get all the boosts that's the thing. Black mage will still be useful but late game the enemy will go after your units for casting the longer charge spells or units charging in general.

I'm going to level both my mages a bit in Time Magic so they both know Swiftness , and I'm going to level my Ninja up in Chemist and make her my designated item courier. I mean, she already has the highest movement of any of my units. My main physical attacker other than Ramza has almost mastered Geomancer. Should I make him a Knight or a Geomancer? And what should his secondary ability be- Arts of War, Martial Arts, or Geomancy? What job should Ramza focus on once he's mastered Squire? I currently have him as a Dragoon.

Back