Wiegraf In Chapter 3

Edward Elric

Chaotic
Veteran
Gil
ok since many consider this the hardest battle in all of final fantasy tactics, and i STRONGLY agree since im stuck in it and cant get past it and its really pissing me off. its the battle where you have to fight wiegraf with just ramza and then he transforms into velius and calls his powerful servants. as of right now it seems damn near impossible to win this fight. so my point is, any hints on a good way to beat this hard hard fight?

Ugh, to me that battle is the hardest boss battle of the series. I had to restart my game because I didn't have the item I needed to beat him.

I believe I needed like...those boots that made you float so you could avoid his lighting stab. Once you had those stay away from him and alternate uses of Yell and Accumulate from your Squire guts skill set.

Auto-Potion with High Potions or X-Potions if they are available.
Have the Floating boots and stay away from him and have Ramza yell his little heart out. Make him a Monk and use Wavefist, Earth Slash and Chakra occasionally.

That's what I did to beat him.

haha its ok guys i started a new game today so i could make sure i kick his ASS next time i fight him. if a mod wants to close this, feel free.

No!!! The secret to beating him is HP Restore! That retaliation ability monks learn. I've beaten him more than five times using that skill. Every time he got me critical, my HP automatically restored. It's foolproof!

theres one problem, i dont have the AP to learn any of the abilities that would really help win this fight like auto-potion and all that jazz. and i only have one saved file so theres no going back and leveling up...im saved at the spot where it only lets you go to the menu right before the battle. im entirely too unprepared to win this fight, i can honestly say that its damn impossible for my party to beat him.

theres one problem, i dont have the AP to learn any of the abilities that would really help win this fight like auto-potion and all that jazz. and i only have one saved file so theres no going back and leveling up...im saved at the spot where it only lets you go to the menu right before the battle. im entirely too unprepared to win this fight, i can honestly say that its damn impossible for my party to beat him.

Major Problem.
I usually have 3 Save Files whenever I play this game.

haha yeah believe me i tried EVERYTHING (or as much as my abilities and ap would allow) and came to the conclusion that it was hopeless.

I leveled my party all the way to all of the units about Level 35 and it was still tough as hell. I switched Ramza around to a Lancer Job while having Punch Art as a secondary skill so I could use Ramza.

The easiest way to go about it (while gaining experience) is to take out the archaic demons in the back. Spread your whole party out since Velius uses that damn 'Clops' summon, and just go from there. Make sure they have enough HP, and you pretty much are set.

I don't advise bringing in any mages since they're a liability every time. Not only do they not have enough HP, they also take a while to load, so when they do die, you're constantly preoccupied trying to revive him again, which wastes an attack turn.

During the initial battle with Wiegraf, try moving around a lot. Having Move +2 from the Thief Job set helps a lot seeing as Wiegraf will move less than you do. Watch out for Earth Fist, but then again, take Earth Fist before Lightning Strike anytime.

I hated that part too! But anyway, even if you did start over, here is what I would do...

Just Yell with Ramza and have Auto potion on with just HI-Potions or X potions in your inventory. Also the secondary lancer job is good too, so you can buy time with the jump ability and double the damage you give him.

I just took a LONG time buffing Ramza (Ninja) and running away from wiegraf, then when i was fully buffed, i ran up to him and did 2 999s (since i was VERY well buffed with squire moves) then, when he became velius, i just attacked him again for 2 999s...

well, Not to be an ass but if you think that the only way to beat this battle is to *blah blah blah* then your a noob.

1. There are plenty of way to beat him I'll name a few
A.Bruteality, just being plain BETTER yes, it is posible just get like two swords or somehting of the sort and kick his ass.
B. Buff Skills, buff skills=accumalate, Yell, etc things that make you spd, strength, or anything else better.
C.*kinda same thing but* De-Buff=Anything that makes him slower/weaker ex. Battle skill
D. Run like Hell, I find this self explanatory but....Just attack, run,(have auto-potion or hp restore) and run some more :P
E. Strong Summoner with knights with two swords....Again Self explanatory....

and if you guys some STILL don't know how to easily get two swords and everything i'll review it AGAIN!

1st: Determine if you can use JP Glitch on the Class to Master it...

A. Can you "scroll" when in the learning screen, if not you can't use jp glitch
a. jobs that can't use is(not all): Knight, Archer, Monk, Squire, Thief
b. Can: (I think)All mages....Geomancer,Lancer, Samuri (i think) and *Ninja*(hence the twoswords....)

2. get it to where you cna buy a skill(not ALL) then go to skill and hit circle...on yes and no screen hold Square and hit up or down(pending on where you can scroll too)

3.doing step 2 will move you to a new skill while still on yes or no dialogue box...if you can buy then skill without using glitch, it'll just buy the skill, if you normally can't it SHOULD (when clicked yes) make ur JP=0000 then exit back to formation screen...

4. Go back to the characters learn screen and WALA you should get 9999 JP.

5.*NOTE* on geomancer you will need 300 Jp to master, go to Pitfall hit circle Hold Square and hit down, then go to yes(not hold square anymore) and it'll buy local quake, then do same thing again but this time when it goes to buy local quake it'll give you 0000 jp and you exit out of learn dialogue boxes and go back in and you'll have 9999JP for Geomancer*

2nd: If you can't use JP glitch the next best way to get JP is to...

1. go to monster battle place that usually has easy monsters ex) Mandalia Plains

2. Kill all but one monster

3. Attack and heal and use buff/de-buff skills to keep gaining JP and Exp

4. After you have enough JP(you can check by going to the status screen in-game) win the battle(kill last monster)

5. wala you have mastered the class. *NOTE* Archer is most likely the longest class to do this with mainly cause it takes like 5k to master the class, it took me an hour and a half to master Archer *ON ONE CHARACTER*

*Also Note that you should always use two save files per game...always ssave on both unless you are about to go into story battle EX) This battle lol then only save on the one while in the battle that way you don't ever get in a situation that you don't have the right abilities or equipement*
Hope you found my post useful and not me being an ass lol...

Last edited:
Wow was he ever hard to beat,
i leveled up quite abit just to fight him,
i kept using tailwind or something like that to boost my speed and i kep running away from him
after 3 times i was able to defeat him
it was quite annoying.

I found him an easy fight. I had my ninja learn the 2 swords ability and made a monk with that skill dealt around 900 per hit and did 2 hits.

Id say the biggest problem with the fight is time, time is not on your side when he changes into Velius...

After his initial clops cast, youll notice despite the obvious fact that clops is supposed to be a slow AT cast, he casts it rediculously fast after the first cast, and can end up casting it on several occasions before you have the time to react...

I found the best way to beat him...have a ninja equiped with mp switch and a lancer equiped with autopotion, (this is without using the yell/accumalate spam for a cheap victory) also make sure ramza has 2 swords ability and take mustadio with you as well with you.

after wiegraf is downed (shouldnt take much effort if your set up right) have ramza take out the closest demon and have your ninja attack vielius (move +2 is a must) always jump with your lancer (even if it misses it stops him getting hit by clops as he will be in jump status) and have mustadio arm aim (dont act) one of the other demons.

a calculator secondary class is indespensible also, have for instance an oracle (with equip gun) or a mediator with math skill secondary, throw shell on any team member he can (it does not matter if you land it on the enemies your not using magic anyway all your trying to do is soften the blow from the impending clops or being killed by a dark holy from the still actable demon)

by this point the demon that isnt sealed will have had his turn and vielus will have fired clops off, if you landed shell on your party, ramza and the ninja will have probably been hit by it and be critical (to let your ninja get away with it make sure your ninja has mp switch so the blow will just suck your mp away)

you lancer will finish his jump (if he took his turn after vielus and you aimed for vielus, which you should have done anyway they will land on him dealing a decent amount of damage)

now you have to move quickly as it wont be long till vielus recasts clops and this time it fires off a lot quicker...

Have ramza attack vielus and your ninja as well, have your lancer jump again and mustadio arm-aim the last demon (both the demons that are alive will be act sealed and wont bother you, giving you plenty of time to finish off vielus before they can act again)

have your oracle/mediator with math secondary cast re-raise from math skill (re-raise DOES NOT AFFECT BOSSES so it does not matter if it is going to land on vielus)

clops will fire off again and probably kill ramza and leave your ninja critical if you used hp switch, or both if you landed re-raise this will be cancelled out as they get reraised and itll be your turn again (as the demons cant act so they will just sit in the corner)

if your lancer again got his turn after vielus he will land on his head and you can probably finish off vielus within the next attack from ramza and your ninja.

congrats you just beat the hardest boss in FFT without using the cheap trick :)

quick breakdown class by class of skills equiped

Ramza: Guts, any secondary (punch art of break are usually good secondaries or possibly chemist with good potions) two swords, auto potion move +2

Ninja: Throw, any secondary, mp switch, equip sword (swords do a lot more damage than ninja blades at this stage of the game), move +2

Lancer: Jump, Chemist (this is so you have a secondary healer if things go wrong), auto-potion, throw-item (to allow your lancer to act like a chemist if needed), move +2

Mustadio: Gun, time magic (if you feel confident of throwing a haste or slow quick enough, but not neccessary),abandon (very useful as it can help you avoid gigaflares, or dark holy), equip armor (so you can sustain more punishment), move +2

Oracle/mediator: Primary, Math skill, dragon spirit (damage taken adds re-raise status), any (if oracle equip gun), move +2

Last edited:
Make Ramza a Squire with two sword capability. Then have him use yell so he gains speed. Eventually he gets like 3 turns in a row and you practically can kill velius in 1 turn. It's not all that hard. One of my favority final fantasy's, though probably the easiest

Well, before the battle, i took to serious training. Giving Ramza, Teleport, 2 Handed and Grasp Sword.

The two handed provided serious damage. And teleport the convenience of escaping. On the whole, an easy battle. Defeated him in first try =D

i didnt even train i just somehow had a strong enough geomancer with attack power to beat him 1 on 1 and i had agrias(i think) use holy explosion, i think i had only 1 or 2 people alive but i had got one last hit on velius and won, im glad i did cause i had repeated this battle about 20 times :(

This was one of the hardest battles for me too. To me, this battle was even harder then the final battle. The final battle was a piece of cake compared to this.

So what i did was get Ramza to around level 40-50 and then have his second job to be a Alchemist. I made sure he could use Hi-Potion/X-Potion so that when i got hurt i could heal. Now i then put on counter attack and auto-potion. Then i would start off by getting close enough to him that he wouldn't get first hit, then when he moved i would attack him, until i was low on hp then heal, then attack, then heal, until i finally beat him.

The next battle where you fight him and all his minions was much easier. All i did was have my guys spread out and then go straight for the boss and not worry about his minions. Usually, 1 or 2 of my characters would be stopped because of his attacks, but that is why i spread them out so he couldn't take them all at once.

I got killed by Belias twice but, I was able to beat him on the third try before he could cast his first attack. I ended up switching my two ninja's to monks (with Duel Wield equipped) and Belias was down in three hits.

Wiegraf in his human form never really caused me trouble, I just kept my distance from him and shockwaved him to death.

Back