Advent Children Why Cloud Seemed Upset

Shyne

Banned
Gil
I've read on here that Cloud seemed upset in FFVII - Advent Children, and i've seen it all over the net. I suggest you watch the gorgeous opening scenes again. The reason is explained by the girl who is talking over the intro. She says 'sadness was the price to pay'. When the lifestream used itself as a weapon, 'sadness was the price to pay'. That is why Cloud is sad. That is why most people are sad in the film.

This is just something i thought bout and posted. Anyone else got things like this to share?

I'm gonna start FFVII again, in the mood to play it now!

Cloud was sad because he felt guilty about Aeris' death. He felt that he let her die, and thus was sad.
He cheered up at the end when she forgave him for it, and said that it wasn't his fault.

Cloud was upset because he was guilty about Aerith and Zacks death and blamed himself for letting them die, and he has a terminal illness and he believes he's going to die, that would make most people upset wouldn't it?

and i believe the quote your talking about is "After every battle, there was sadness" or something like that, and Marlene speaks that as we see Aerith being lowered into the river, meaning that line is refering to Aerith.

I think also the fact that he feels he cannot help people like Densel who have the diesease contributes towards his sadness.

Well...like in any story of this type....Cloud is a typical self tormented hero stereptype...in that respect he has to torcher/torment himself during the entire film, (or game) in order to win in the end. Or he will be torchered and tormented by other factors (Sephiroth, memories etc.) or even he will not be himself ( in game he is split in two..this is very common). And all this to defeat his own personal demons and to restore the order to the world.

Feeling of sadness or him being sad, feeling helpless, being silent, withrawn from the world and the people around him, madness and being lost, feeling sorry for himself, self-loading and especially feeling guilty over some tragic event from the past that he failed to do or failed to succed in (for example. :save friends in this case..or lover... latter usually the case in this kind of tales) is a another sterotypical set up for this type of character.

Also being stricken with the disease himself probably contributed to the guilt he felt for Aeris' death (I think at this point it was more about Aeris than Zack). But I do think it had a lot to do with what he said when Vincent first rescued him: "I really can't save anyone," or something along the lines of that. Basically Cloud felt weak and powerless because of a number of different reasons.

Cloud was sad because he felt guilty about Aeris' death. He felt that he let her die, and thus was sad.
He cheered up at the end when she forgave him for it, and said that it wasn't his fault.

Actually, Cloud had cheered up significantly earlier by the time her returned from the Forgotten City. His encounters with people from the past and present seemed pretty vital to his "recovery" from his post traumatic stress he seemed to be suffering. He has his vision of Aeris telling him to snap out of it, he's recalling the harsh words of Tifa to snap out of it and even Marlene and Vincent chime in. Plus he has the immediate issue to face; his failure in the past has been making him scared to be proactive in the present, fearing he will fail those he lovs (Tifa, his family, his friends), and now he's in a dilemma where lack of action could indeed risk his family and friends. So ALL these elements come into play in giving Cloud a lighter load of pain and a more proactive stance. Personally, I think Aeris' has done her part of the healing in the Forgotten City, the bit at the end is Aeris saying farewell as she knows Cloud can move on with his life now without being trapped in the past over the pain of herself and Zack (who appears equally in the end farewell scene).

And yes, he was upset about Zack as well as Aeris. I'd suggest Aeris had slightly more relevance because a) the experience of Aeris' death would be far more real; he was conscious and just light a nightmare, unable to move to stop the terrible events happening in front of him.
b) He had said he'd be her bodyguard and just like everything else in his life, he blew that promise.
c) The audience have stronger memories and ties to Aeris than Zack.

Though I think the Compilation will show us Zack's death was VERY important to Cloud through Crisis Core, and AC does have him start hanging over Zack's grave, so while I think Aeris' death hits him from several angles, CC will show us not to underestimate his relationship with Zack.

i think most of cloud's sadness is drawn from the fact that he blames himself for "letting aeris die". even when he sees her in his mind, it probably just makes him sadder to talk to her and know that she's dead and there might have been something he could do about it. also, he's got the geostigma...and that probably isn't too uplifting.

He seemed more anti-social and cold, then upset, completely withdrawn from all of his friends and everyone around him. Anyway, as it’s already been said, he was pretty much portrayed as grieving over Aerith.

Because of the death of Zack and Aerith, he felt guilty about that.And he's that lonely, anti-social type

Last edited:
It's explained in On A Way To A Smile: Case of Tifa, but basicly he is feeling guilty over the loss of Aerith.

There's a better explanation than Case of Tifa - it's called Square-Enix's marketing. Fans like brooding Cloud, thus the company strips him from a disc and a half's worth of character development in order to cater to consumers with money.

What I believe the reason Cloud was so upset was because of the death's of Aerith and Zack. He couldn't prevent their deaths and was there to witness both of their deaths (if im not mistaken?). I mean being right there and not being able to stop each of their deaths has to have taken an effect on his persona, thus making him upset and very withdrawn from people.

He felt like a failure for letting two friends die, and the fact that the two people who died were romantically involved, he couldn't save Zack and he couldn't look after what Zack cherished either. He felt he let them both down, feeling incompetent and self loathing, like he wasn't fit to save anyone. I think Aerith was meant to be the sacrifice that would cause the sadness for everyone, you don't get something without giving something special in return, no matter the cost if it saves lives. There's always a cost to living with the difficult choices in life.

babble/ :lol:

Clouds upset because he blames himself for aeris death he said he would protect her and he also promissed it to aeris step mother
He also blames him for Zacks death taking all the glory once he died
let me sum this up you would be upset to let your girlfriend die infront of your eyes when you said you would protect her
just like with luminous arc lucia dies and alph blames himself
its in almost every game ive ever played

Back