Gil
FFXIV
M0L32ur4L
FFXIV Server
Malboro
Free Company
-SoulsOfStyx-
Hello
I admit that I don't know the universe well. I know who the link is and many people around me have had something to do with Final Fantasy all their lives. I can even hum the SNES theme music. I'm going to ultimately play FFXIV - but I've already played Morrowind Online and I missed a lot because I haven't played Morrowind (singleplayer) before.
Should I necessarily play any other parts? Thanks

FFXIV includes lots of stuff from previous FF games (example: classes, duties, monsters) but you don't necessarily have to play them to get through it since XIV's main plot is a standalone just like the rest of the games!

and I guess it ultimately depends on your personal preferences :lew: FF games are different is all kind of ways (plot, general theme, battle system sometimes) so some people would recommend FF7 first, others would say FF10 etc, I suggest picking anything from 7 and up first and leave the old ones for later :wacky:

I can only agree with what shivas said! I think you should start with any game 7 and up. Those games are more modern in gameplay and the graphics aren't too dated (maybe?xD I really like the old ones as well). If I were you, I would either pick 7, 8, 9 or 10. I did play some games between 7-15 and my ultimate favourite is 7. But I'm playing 10 now and also tried 9 a little so you can't go wrong with them!:D

Maybe just read a short description about their stories, then watch some gameplay? You will be able to pick the one which interests you the most. ^^

And if you don't mind more dated graphics and gameplay, ofc you can pick from 1-6 as well! But games 7-15 are definitely easier to hook upon for most people (usually because they are more used to "modern" gaming).

Yes! I agree with Shivas & Jigokuu, definitely. 7-10 are good choices to start with if you can handle the dated graphics and turn-base game play. Honestly, of those games I think FFVII is the worst (graphic-wise!) despite it being one of the most popular of the franchise. Great story, but those blocky hands! However I really like the Materia system over the others in 7-10.

I was going to say this too, and Jigokuu mentioned it first, but really look into the plot (and maybe even some gameplay) if you're unsure of which to dive into. To me, the story is what makes these games really shine, but they are all vastly different from one another. I'd say look into the plot of each one of these & decide which one sounds more interesting and start there. FFIX is my favorite game but others think FFVII is far better. It just really depends on your interest!

In my opinion, at the risk of getting KO'd by a few of my fellow forum-mates, I'd look at FFVIII last unless the story really draws you in. I feel like the Junction & Draw system is what turns most people off, which is a shame because it shouldn't be the reason to ruin the entire experience of this awesome game. It really isn't terrible if you actually take the time to understand it but I think a lot of people overlooked this great game because of it.

Lastly, play FFIX :smartass:

I generally agree with the order of this video:

However, I would qualify its key points by saying:
  • If you like Western dungeon-crawler RPGs, start with 1 and 3, then backtrack to 2 (most people don't like it; but I do and think it's worth a try)
  • If you like high customizability, do 7, 8, 10, 12, 6, 5, and then 3.
  • If you like a really rich story do 7, 8, 9, 10, 6, and then 4.
  • Realize that 11 and 14 are MMORPGs, and that 12 is basically a single-player MMORPG.
  • No matter your preference, save 12, 13, and 15 until you have a few of the classics (1-9) under your belt; they all really radically mess with the recipe.
  • Avoid the 5 and 6 mobile remakes; it's best to play the GBA, SNES, or PS1 versions, in that order.
  • Be aware that ALL the remakes and remasters make changes here and there to the core gameplay, and often the translation quality. Nothing that ruins them, but definitely changes that depart from the original experience. I definitely don't recommend playing the original NES Final Fantasy (1) unless you're really craving that old-school high-difficulty dungeon-crawler experience. Play the remakes for GBA, PS1, or PSP.

Final Fantasy X without question! This Final Fantasy excels in all aspects (Story, Combat, Equipment & progressive mechanics, post game content). Also with the HD Remaster FFX can be enjoyed all all modern systems too. While I prefer other FF games for individual aspects, I think FFX as a whole is probably the best offering & certainly the game I recommend & have even bought for other people to begin the series with.

Last edited:
Going against the grain here but I would say try starting with FF6 or Tactics mostly because those two imo have some of the richer stories, especially tactics(not to be confused with the tactics advance or a-2 bits), it also has a remake in war of the lions which added some new job classes and expanded the already detailed story with some of it's best side characters. Of course though without playing 7 or 12 if you stumble upon the other side characters you won't know them very well.

As stated before 11 and 14 are mmorpgs so you don't really need to worry about any of those things. If you are looking for some of the most common used battle system mechanics then ff4-12, 15 would be a choice minus 10 as it uses a different mechanic, as does the entire 13 trilogy. 7-12 minus 11 also now have remasters with some updated graphic improvements on the ps4 so you have a solid choice to choose from there. If it comes down to accessibility to play anything from 7 up again minus the 13 trilogy since that's still on ps3 thankfully is easy enough to get to.

I yet again have to echo FF7 - it was the first FF game I have played, and it definitely hooked me on the franchise. Then again, it might also be the reason why I tend to compare all others to this one... Anyway, aside from 7, I recommend you go up the ladder, going for 8/9/10. You should keep in mind that any of Final Fantasy games will have an intricate, layered story - it's almost their signature at this point, and that can be a turn-off for some people. But as long as you like deep storytelling, you are good to go!

It's easier to work your way up from 7 as obviously each game improves graphically.

However it's dependant on you as an individual, if you enjoy your retro games then playing back through VI is probably a good shout, if you are more concerned with graphics / gameplay etc I'd probably suggest X and if you enjoy your mmo's generally then XII is probably the way to go (without dipping into the actual mmo's.)

I think VII was the first FF game for the majority of western gamers. Could be wrong. It was my first, and pretty much everyone else's I've spoken to. I guess with what you choose first though. With the VII remake coming out soon, I'd suggest going for VIII or IX, especially since they have HD remasters which look pretty nice. Plus, it might be best to experience the VII remake (if you plan to, anyway) without having your expectations lowered or heightened by the original. But, you can't really go wrong. They're all very different games from one another, but at the same time kinda similar. There's gonna be some you enjoy and some you don't.

Love the response this thread got, great to see everyone thinking along. :D

I'd definitely suggest VII as well, but perhaps I'm a little biased. I know you did say you were starting there, so I genuinely hope you enjoy the game.

I personally think experiencing the original before the remake is the best course of action! Have fun!

I'm also going to say FFVII through FFIX. Those are great introduction to the series, especially FFVII since the Remake is around the corner. In my opinion it's good to experience the original at least once, so I'm glad you decided to go with that first!

FFVIII might be a little challenging due to the junction system, but I personally love that game. FFIX is pure gold and hands down has one of the best storylines in the game next to FFVII.

Let us know your experience and feel free to create or update threads. We'd love to hear your journey in all this!

FFVII imo. 8 and 10 are too hard to complete, VII isn't as hard as everyone once thought it was. The plot is also super easy to follow.

Reactions: Six
I'm going to be a parrot and say that FFVII is probably the best starting point.

It was my first introduction into Final Fantasy and look where that got me? It took my soul there and then and never gave it back. It's been a wild ride and I shall be riding it until I can ride no more.

• Haha
Reactions: Six
I would say Final Fantasy X is probably the most user-friendly experience over all and it's a great one to start with. Apart from that: FFIV (SNES version, not the 3DS port) and FFVII are also good beginner ones in terms of being the easiest to follow, the most engaging and just generally being solid entries in the franchise.)

Honestly, FF7, FF9, FF10 have never been more accessible to newcomers than ever.

i still recommend playing the classics. FF1-6 is still amazing. But over the years, I'm understanding more and more how out-of-style they been for the younger generation.

FF7 was also my first entry (and the graphics improve as the game plays out, let alone graphic development in FF8,FFX ) but was also going to recommend which console were using and get the latest installment for that.
Still stuck with a PS2 and PS3, but there is much Final Fantasy played on them.

Back