Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Where do you think the next expansion will be set?

Please put any spoiler details in spoiler tags!

My guess would be Garlemald or some of its territories. We’ve been edging ever closer to it in the story. In post-Stormblood patch content Alphinaud was on a diplomatic mission to broker peace with the Populares sect in Garlemald until that all went south as they were shot down in The Burn. Seeing as Square Enix tend to tease future expansions during the storylines of endgame content for the expansions before last, this seems like a high possibility. To explain my reasoning, A Realm Reborn patch content teased Doma and far eastern content, and Heavensward patch content teased the Warrior of Darkness and the world of the First. The storylines of new expansions don't tend to just pop out of nowhere, but the seeds are usually planted a while back.

Also in post-Shadowbringers patch content we see more of Gaius and Estinien in Garlemald, and then we are introduced to another occupied nation, Werlyt, and we can even visit the port town of Terncliff there. There's a lot going down in the imperial capital of Garlemald right now too, following Emperor Varis' death.

So that's my guess, but I could be completely wrong.

Yeah, I think that's a safe bet! There's not that much left to explore outside of that unless they come up with some random side adventure out of the blue - which would be a little odd, especially since they usually hint future expansions way in advance, like you said.

What do I win? :grin:

I'm I reading it correctly that after that point it truly is going to be a random adventure out of the blue?

I'm I reading it correctly that after that point it truly is going to be a random adventure out of the blue?
I think it is possible that there might still be adventures that they have hinted at before. But just that it doesn’t connect with the Hydaelyn vs Zodiark conflict, and therefore not the Ascian vs contemporary lifeform conflict, and so on. That has been the major plotline, to a greater extent at some times than others (less so during Heavensward, for example, but still there).

There are other things that could go on in the world. Some things they have hinted at and wouldn't be too crazy for them to explore. Sharlayan, for example. We find the abandoned ruins of their Eorzean colony in Heavensward, but, aside from our allies in the Scions and Sons of Saint Coinach, etc, the majority of the Sharlayans have retreated back to their homeland, which could easily become a new location in a future expansion.

Another place which is referred to but never seen is a continent out to the west. I think it may even be called the 'New World' and is a clear America parallel (the Blue Mages learned their trade from native tribes there, iirc).

However, since FFXIV has usually introduced plot elements relevant to the expansion after next during patch content, that would mean that Shadowbringers patch content should be offering up some clues for the future for what comes after Endwalker. But so far I can't think of anything. I haven't played 5.4, however.

What do I win? :grin:
May I have next Saturday's winning lottery numbers please? :p

I'm pretty excited about the possible FFIV crossovers in the new expansion, but the trailer's scenes of Garlemald gave me a big Insomnia (the dungeon version from FFXV) vibes; so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the next Eureka/Bozja.

Back