When is YOUR favorite gaming period.

Bustersword07

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Most of us are climbing our teens and our 20's on here. And by now, I'm sure you guys have already picked out your favorite time when it comes to gaming.

Some people say its the days of old Mario (1986-1993)
Some people say its today (2005-2008)

As for me, it was between (1998-2004) This was the period of the PS1 and the PS2 at it's prime. Now, FF7, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and pretty much ALL of the other Final Fantasys were played. Plus many, many other games. It was the period where I just spend most of my time at home playing games. On avg about 4 hours/day. Until about the end of Star Ocean, the peak was pretty much over.

Don't get me wrong. 2005, 2006, and 2007 was good. It was the days of the DS and I got into Grand theft Auto there too. But when it comes to Final Fantasy. Just ports, remakes, and spin-offs. And it took forever for FF12 to come. And we are going to die of old age when FF13 comes. I'm sure its going to be good. But it won't make the memories like the games of the old times did.

I'm quite the fan of the more recent games, say, from 2005 until the present day. Plot development, graphics and music have peaked and I can't say that I have many complaints.

This thread should have been posted in Rocket Town, by the way.

[Moved]

I guess I'll have to say between 92-96, mainly because I was a kid and I got to spend time with my big brother by playing games with him. Now whenever I play games from those time periods I always think of him. Mortal Kombat games, Street Fighter, Mario and all that are the things I remember from those time periods.

But I think the BEST game period was between 1996-1999. I mean, Final Fantasy started gaining ground, Metal Gear Solid came out in 1998, I could go on and on with all the great series that became main stream in 1998. That year alone turned the gaming community around.

I guess I'll go with the N64/PS1 days up through the end of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox days. My interest in gaming has declined since the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii became current generation consoles.

Don't get me wrong--some amazing games have released over the last few years--but games like Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Super Mario 64, Fable, FFVII - FFX, Goldeneye 007, and the original Halo, will always top my list.

So...1996 - 2005.

I never played any Final Fantasies when they came out. I have played them more recently, in the last 5 years. So the games i play are more from '97-'03. I don't feel there has been any game that equals the quality of Final Fantasies of that time span.

I am more into the PS1/PS2 (1995-2000) period when games had improved with the graphics for RPG and fighting games. Not only that, most of the greatest games for those systems are much more fun to play then the ones they have now on the PS3.

I can only say millenium to present. I only got my PS1 back in 2000 thereabouts but I got all the great classic games of that console like FFVII, Xenogears, etc. etc.
Graphics are really improving too, and as aesthetic graphics proponent on games, I gotta love it. Can't say much about storylines though.

Tecmo Super Bowl
Final Fantasy VI
Gemfire
Zelda: Link to The Past
Super Mario 3
Mario 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Ninja Guidan II
Double Dragon II
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy IV
Mario Kart (all)
EA NHL 98

But If I had to pick a Favorite, out of this list, it would have to be between Five Games. Mostly because I have such fond memories playing them. There are to many though. If I wanted to get really into it there are tons of NES and SNES games from my childhood that I loved.
GEMFIRE (Royal Blood in Japan) SNES
FINAL FANTASY VI SNES
MARIO 64 NIN64
TECMO SUPER BOWL NES
ZELDA: LINK TO THE PAST SNES

Last edited:
1995 - 2000: The true era of the fighting game.

From Capcom's corner: Street FIghter Alpha and Street Fighter 3 both greatly surpass the flagging Street Fighter 2 series. Not to mention more than worthy efforts from Darkstalkers, Star Gladiator and Rival Schools. Warzard was also a bit of good fun, but very, very hard to find. And the beginning of Capcom's Marvel games. *sigh* they were so good until Marvel Vs Capcom 2 spoiled the lot.

SNK continues to unleash installments of King Of Fighters, Fatal Fury ( and Real Bout ), Last Blade, Samurai Shodown and others.

Tekken becomes a true contender with Tekken 2 and then arguably becomes king of the hill with Tekken 3. SOul Blade was also easily one of the greatest gaming experiences for me at the time, it was really fresh and fun, potentially why I continue to find Soul Calibur disappointing.

Virtua Fighter 2 was also an excellent example of a fighting game at the time, I didn't get to play as much of 3 but I what I got to play was enjoyable to say the least.

So, the four main guns of fighting games at the time were on form, and there was more:

Dead Or Alive gets started ( first one's still arguably my favourite, Danger Zone rather than ring outs are the way to go! )

Bloody Roar gets up and running as well.

Mortal Kombat hasn't quite begun to suck yet, 3 and Trilogy were actually pretty good if you ask me.

Toshinden was....around....

And Rise OF The Robots finally bit the dust after a second attempt, hooray! :P

Gee I guess it would be from around 1994 to 2004 (pretty broad I know). I used to play Doom and Mortal Kombat alot as a kid, then during the PS1 era I was hooked on Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Croc, Hercules, Bust a Groove, WWF Smackdown and Resident Evil to name a few.

Then when I got my PS2 I got hooked on Metal Gear Solid 2, Simpsons Road Rage, WWE Smackdown and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai.

I started losing interest in games around 2004. These days I only really play Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and party games like Guitar Hero.

I think I wouldn't be able to pick a particular gaming period.
I just like gaming in general. It's history is rich,and interesting all over.(for me at least)
Still if I had to I'd pick the days of the 64,PS1,GC,PS2,and X Box.These were my prime years of gaming,and they might be the time I'll remember the most.
Nevertheless, we're living in a golden age of gaming. Where old ideas have been worked on to improve them,and new once arise to awe gamers,and non-gamers alike.

The good ol' days of Nintendo64 and of gameboy colour bring me back a lot of memories:
Super Mario
Mario party
Pokemon
Starring Goemon
Vigilante
Zelda
Also the PSP period is very cool and is going to be cooler:
Final Fantasy Dissidia
FFVII Crisis Core
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Tomb Raider Legend
Def Jam

It'll have to be from 1995 - present day. That's when I really became a true gamer, although I've played old school games before that. Of course, Final Fantasy VII was a big hit in 1997, although I didn't actually play it until 1999 when FFVIII came out. But yeah, I used to play Tomb Raider a lot on my PS, as well as old Sega Genesis games, like Sonic, Street Fighter, and Street of Rage (though that released in 1991) - few of my favorites. =]

Well, I'm quite fond of the tales series. In fact, ym two favorite games of all time are Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia. but Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy actually got me into gaming, so there's sentimental values there. :3

Atari era and PS2 era for me.

The Atari got me hooked on games when i was about 5 or 6.

However, I did most of my gaming during the life-span of the PS2 mainly with sports games, and a good majority of the FF series. I only had a PS1 for a few months, so I played most of the PS1 FF games on the backward compatible PS2.

...Seriously, read the first post in a topic sometime. /smack lol

My favorite period of gaming is probably right now. I love the old school games. I have played a ton of classics but while they're near and dear to me, I love what games are able to accomplish as technology progresses. As much as I loved old games like Super Mario, it just does not compare to modern gaming.

EDIT: He's a dick. He replied "After 8PM"... confused era with a time period. Fucking jabroni noob

Mine is now also. To be honest, I'm not all that fussed on the graphical aspect but it plays a huge part in how deep a story can be, and nowadays, games are a lot deeper than it was years ago. So yeah, whilst years ago it was fun, modern day games are better because it's easier to get emotionally attached. :)

2004-now (and future ^^)

Before I didn't have a DS/GBA ;_;

This period will probably stay stable for quite some time more^^

Back