What book are you currently reading / have recently read?

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
I thought we already had a thread like this, but I cannot find it (only a Manga one). Anyway, here we go.

I'm currently reading Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore by Bettany Hughes (2005).

This book is about 15 years old now, but I’ve never read it before. It essentially examines the mythical figure of Helen alongside the archaeological remains and records of the Late Bronze Age, and it creatively (and cautiously) imagines what the life of a ‘real’ Helen of Troy might have looked like had she lived within the Mycenaean world, and if there could have been any historicity in the mythical Trojan War at all, and so on. It also examines the development of the figure Helen, how she had been worshipped as a goddess (especially in her home, Sparta), as well as the history of her reception from antiquity through the medieval period and into the modern age.

I’m about two thirds through it at the moment. It is well-researched and written. It is great to see that she has thanked some of my former professors for their aid in preparing the book. I’m not too surprised, as this subject matter is right up their alley, but it is nice for me to see. Of course, they'd already done this before I met them.

greenyxi

Veteran
Gil
Chocobo Egg
Kuja
Garnet
Tifa Lockhart
Sabin's Tent
Literally just finished Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton! I love how Hammond, Tim and Lex are portrayed in the book vs the film, with Hammond actually seeming a little bit senile (even though he denies it at one point while eating ice cream as everyone is dying).

I've got to read The Lost World at some point but time for a bit of a break. My sister is buying me Ready Player One for my birthday so that'll be next :).