[V1] What are you currently playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have that Pokemon Sword that is waiting now for a bunch of weeks to be continued, the incoming DLC is looking great
I have that FF7 new game started that needs to be continued.
Actually I'm playing that new tiny steam game Pick Crafter, a fun pixelated game were you have to dig ressources, buy items, upgrade levels, fight simple bosses, things like that.

I'm currently spending most of my time on the next big FF covers I've scheduled this year :)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

And yes, it's taking me forever. I used to play it via a friend's library, but I didn't remember where I left off, so when the game went on sale during Christmas, I purchased it and started over. I'm somewhere mid-game now I think, but I'm backtracking because I got some gear I needed. So far so good.

Fucking jaguars, though. My heart. >.>

This probably is going to sound like one of those "I only play the retro games" type of posts but no lie the games i am currently playing on my ps4 are: Final fantay 7, 8 & 9, Resident Evil 2 and Medievil

FFXIV: Stormblood.

I've completed the main game but I'm now making my way through the patch content. Lots of interesting sidequests unlocked for me now too.
This expansion gets a lot of bad press because it was sandwiched between two highly acclaimed, groundbreaking expansions, but I've really enjoyed the story and the characters for this one too. Maybe I'm associating happier times with this expansion because I played it during Christmas and I gave myself a break to be able to actually play games during the day for once. Maybe I was able to get more done and therefore enjoy the story unbroken.

I'm also technically playing Death Stranding, although I haven't played it since a short session on New Year's Eve. I loaded the game up just to say goodbye to it before the end of the decade as I wasn't happy with where I left it earlier on and I didn't want to enter a new decade like that. Weird thing to do, to be honest. But nowhere near as weird as the game itself. I do intend to go back to it when I've completed more of the patch content for Stormblood.

And then that is a small part of my backlog tackled....

I know what you mean about backlog, I still have to play the entirity of the nathan drake games XD Im glad they are free currently on the PS4. Just wondering if i should get base Goat simulator or is this far in the past on fun these days what with all the DLC stuff they released? who knows?

I'm also technically playing Death Stranding, although I haven't played it since a short session on New Year's Eve. I loaded the game up just to say goodbye to it before the end of the decade as I wasn't happy with where I left it earlier on and I didn't want to enter a new decade like that. Weird thing to do, to be honest. But nowhere near as weird as the game itself. I do intend to go back to it when I've completed more of the patch content for Stormblood.

How is Death Stranding? It's a game that I've had earmarked to buy for a while now but because of having numerous long RPGs backlogged, I've yet to get around to purchasing it. The reviews seem very marmite with little middle ground - problem is, Metacritic is never reliable for user reviews with AAA titles because the majority of the reviews are either 10/10 or 0/10 which completely skew the review system and crowd out the well balanced reviews. I'll probably wait until it drops to the inevitable £15 mark if it's worth buying, but it could be a good filler for when the Playstation 5 is launched (I never have optimism for launch titles).

Just wondering if i should get base Goat simulator or is this far in the past on fun these days what with all the DLC stuff they released? who knows?
Never played it myself, but I don't think it's a particularly long game - might be worth using the 'add to library' feature on the store. At least then you'll have it to download in the future and if you don't have the time, no big loss either.

How is Death Stranding? It's a game that I've had earmarked to buy for a while now but because of having numerous long RPGs backlogged, I've yet to get around to purchasing it. The reviews seem very marmite with little middle ground - problem is, Metacritic is never reliable for user reviews with AAA titles because the majority of the reviews are either 10/10 or 0/10 which completely skew the review system and crowd out the well balanced reviews. I'll probably wait until it drops to the inevitable £15 mark if it's worth buying, but it could be a good filler for when the Playstation 5 is launched (I never have optimism for launch titles).

It is definitely Marmite. Many people who are lifelong Kojima fans aren't really getting into this one.

I'm not very far into it yet (only about five or so hours, I think). I thought that being familiar with Kojima's weirdness through the Metal Gear franchise might have prepared me for it, but it really hasn't. It is extremely weird - like a fever dream. I do enjoy it but I can only take it in short doses at the moment.

So far not a lot makes sense. This in itself is fine by me as I do enjoy surrealist stuff from time to time. But when you combine this with a hiking simulator it does become stressful more often that it is fun. Having to carry a laughable amount of crates of junk from one station to another knowing that with one misstep you might trip over a boulder and lose everything to a river. Then your baby starts to cry within the actual controller so that you can't ignore it. Then it starts to rain and phantoms come out to get you... That's saying nothing about the weird stuff which happens if you are unable to escape them.

It is stressful. Still very interesting on the whole and I am enjoying it, but this is why I can't play it for very long at any one time.

My main criticism so far isn't any of this though. My main criticism is that the entire world appears to look the same. I'm not sure if there are any other sorts of landscapes in the game at all (everything I have seen of the game would suggest not). I would love to see some snow or deserts or forests, etc. I guess the point they are making is that the climate all merges into one when time is accelerated every time it rains, but it does mean that the environment can get boring very quickly.

It reminds me of my days of doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award, only in the form of a nightmare...

I'm currently playing:

Shadow Hearts 2 - Still a great game though with a few drawbacks. The dialogue can feel really stilted and nonsensical sometimes and the battles are a little bit on the slow side. However, the music is stunning, especially the town music:

The characters are also incredibly interesting, in terms of design and personality. I love the alcoholic version of Gepetto along with a wolf who can't talk but can stand against a wall all stealthily :lew:. I find Karin and Yuri really bloody interesting too, as their relationship builds throughout. My one major gripe with the game though is that while it can be dark, it isn't really full on horror like the first game. I felt like the unique aspect of the first game was the horror but they sort of toned that down for a lot of comedy this time. Still a great game though!

Layton's Mystery Journey (Switch) - I'm only about an hour in but so far it's good to meet Layton's daughter. It doesn't half the murder mystery vibe that the others had yet but I'm hoping that changes. I mean, the first case is the case of a missing clock hand on the Big Ben, which to me has zero impact lol. But I'm still making my way through the tutorial stuff :lew:. I'm hoping this picks up since I love the series :).

Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4) - I've just finished playing through all 3 games and I've got to say that 3 was by far the best. 1 felt really basic and I barely got any plot out of it. 2 was just throwaway garbage. 3 was much better; it had actual story, a Dante with personality (though he was very cringey), memorable bosses. With DMC3 though, I feel like it could have done without the repeated areas and Mega Man style boss rush at the end. I would have also liked a better last boss with a grand design (like in DMC1). I bought DMC4 last week for about £6 so I'll get to that soon once the burnout wears off lmao.

My main criticism so far isn't any of this though. My main criticism is that the entire world appears to look the same. I'm not sure if there are any other sorts of landscapes in the game at all (everything I have seen of the game would suggest not). I would love to see some snow or deserts or forests, etc. I guess the point they are making is that the climate all merges into one when time is accelerated every time it rains, but it does mean that the environment can get boring very quickly.

It reminds me of my days of doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award, only in the form of a nightmare...

Nerolexis.
I have been informed today that I was mistaken on this point. It starts off with just mossy cliffs but apparently there are some moments later in the game where you can walk through snowy mountains and grassy plains. So thankfully there is some diversity of locations in the game and it's not just moss and rocks!

Just beat FF7 the night Animal Crossing (thankfully) was dropped off at my door this last Friday. I've been suuuuuper busy and tired the last week~ with stuff at my Grandma's house. State shut everything* down officially as of yesterday (🦠) so now I'm home today resting and enjoying some Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Probably gonna play it as much as I can until the Remake hopefully arrives. 🤞

Reactions: Six
I recently purchased a PS4 (lol)

Currently playing:

- Borderlands 3
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

I'm now playing FFXIV Shadowbringers a bit of Crash Team Racing (not much though) and I also finally bought Dreams the other day.

Shadowbringers is excellent! I don't know how far I have to go (I'm level 76 but I was already level 72/73 before I started the expansion because my character continued to level up even during Stormblood). I love the setting and the characters and the la-HEE!

Dreams is also very good. It'll take me a long time to get comfortable with sculpting my own creations but the tools are fairly easy to use and I have seen some incredible games / artwork / mini-movies created by others.

I recently purchased a PS4 (lol)

Currently playing:

- Borderlands 3
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Red Dead Redemption 2 is incredible. Uncharted 4 has been heavily rumored to be included in next months PS Plus subscription, which goes well with last months Nathan Drake Collection that I've yet to play.

As for mine:

Completed FFVII and got my first ever platinum trophy! Still playing Crash Team Racing albit on a very casual basis. Still got a few time trials to do before starting work on the newly added Velo trials. Still got the FFXV DLC to go through aswell.

Also currently playing:
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Resident Evil HD Remaster
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Like many people here, I'm currently playing the long-awaited FFVII Remake.

About a week ago I completed the core story of FFXIV: Shadowbringers so I could finally put that to bed so that I could give my full attention to the Remake. I'll resume Shadowbringers to do the patch content in the future.

I was also playing Dreams before the Remake and was enjoying creating things and playing the creations of other people.

But now, I'm deep into the story of the FFVII Remake and I'm hooked. It really is something else.

Currently playing Final Fantasy... the first one! It’s on iOS and is actually pretty good. Only loses points in my book because (obviously being a remake of the first) there’s not much in the way of story and the encounter rates are ridiculously high. Other than that... a lot of fun!

I'm currently playing:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - This has been incredible so far (I'm almost at Wall Market). A bit samey in terms of environments and everything in the lead up to the Sector 5 reactor desctruction but I'm loving seeing how they're interpreting the game for a modern audience.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - I'm loving this one! Probably the best of the series, excluding the breakable tools. I'm hoping some tools become available that won't break. I just got KK Slider to start showing up since I'm not great at being creative and improving the look of the island. Saying that though, there's now a brick path connecting all the buildings so happy days :).

Persona 5 Royal - I've actually stopped after the 1st palace in order to play through FF7 but I'm loving the improvements! More story, more music, more characters, QoL improvements both inside and outside of battles. It's pretty perfect so far. It helps that the original was one of my favourite games of all time (probably on the same level as Persona 4 Golden for me).

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Not great imo. They took out the interesting areas, made Nemmie scripted instead of (seemingly?) randomly appearing, the characters are no more interesting than they were in the original, other than Jill. Swing and a miss!

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

Yeah, I'm still playing this a year and a half later. I mean I completed the main story a year ago, but I've decided to go through the other missions now.

This has partly been inspired by recent discussions related to the Valhalla announcement, partly because I've been reminded that I have loads of DLC quests to complete, and also partly because I watched Liam Mulvey (AKA FFXV's Libertus) streaming the game and it reignited my passion for it.

I'm having to completely relearn all of the controls though. I'm trying to run with the buttons I use on FFVII Remake. I'm getting slaughtered to be honest... I also can't remember how to block. Too bad most of the material I'm playing is post-game stuff so it is actually quite hard. :sad2:

• Haha
Reactions: Six
I've been dipping in and out of Star Wars Battlefront II this week because it was free on PSN+. :argor:

I think it is okay, but it really annoys me more than it should that it mixes eras all of the time. You could be playing a match set during the Clone Wars but Rey is inexplicably running about. Likewise, you might find young Obi-Wan running about on Jakku during the fight against the First Order. It doesn't make sense. I wish each map could have its own set of heroes instead of all heroes being available on all maps. It seriously breaks the immersion.

Other than that, the maps are all excellently designed and have so much detail. I haven't played every map yet, but Naboo and Tatooine in particular are packed with Easter eggs and background details. The portraits of Naboo royalty are fantastic. I only wish I could stand there and look at it properly without getting shot or force choked.

That leads me into my other issue with the game. Heroes spawn in far too frequently, meaning you end up facing light saber / force users which have no chance of a fair fight with. Once they become a hero, they keep killing people and increased their score. So what happens when you finally kill them? They've earned enough by slaughtering everyone to buy that same hero again five seconds later!

Flaws aside, fun game.

Free game too. No complaints on that front.

Mostly Animal Crossing and Pokemon Diamond in my spare time... but then this came today, so I guess I know what I'm playing on my 11 hour road trip on Saturday :8F:

1594925421512.jpeg

Lately I've started the patch content for Shadowbringers. At least I attempted to, but then discovered that I needed to gather Phantasmagoria Tokens in order to unlock better equipment in order to access the new dungeons. Pity that.

So I've had to pause that temporarily whilst doing Grand Company PvP stuff so that I can at least gather some Wolf Marks, etc, and not be wasting time.

I've also started playing Fall Guys and last night managed to play with other FFF people on it. It's a fun, It's a Knock Out / Takeshi's Castle style game. It can be quite difficult to qualify beyond each round, but that is part of its charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back