webgames

Crystal

Red Mage
Veteran
Gil
So we have an upcoming project and we have to design a game for the Internet that has to take 8 minutes long.

My question is, when you play webgames, what makes it addictive?

Is it the high score option, leveling, increasing difficulty, that it is known (known game like mario or gameshow on tv), completing goals? get all items/ gear? award system? unlimited play? or maybe something else?

Please make a top 3, 4, 5, or whatever and at least explain why you chose your top answer.
And what option isn't that important at all in a webgame?

Thanks a lot, you're really helping me with this.

My number 1 reason is - I like webgames to be in increasing difficulty, but, also the rewards you get to help you kick some ass.

I like webgames for different things so these points are what I like about games and what makes it addictive for me.

1) If you get money for doing certain things so you can purchase upgrade's for new weapons cars etc. It makes the game better as it gives you things to look forward to and work towards.

2) Increasing difficulty can make the game more fun but if it has a level thats just impossible to pass everyone is going to quit playing it. Have the game get harder gradually.

3) High scores are great but it should be about how fast you complete a level or get certain objects for extra points. Making people spend a couple of hours just doing the same thing is very boring.

4) The game should be keep the player moving all the time so it's not just point and click unless it has a story or gameplay where the point and click works best.

5) If the game keeps you excited like your about to be killed all the time or you need to avoid traps.

6) Getting power ups during the game like extra speed or instant kill.

7) If you die you don't go right back to the start and loss all your upgrades but this depends on the type of game so if it's a high score game put it in and if the games just for fun have checkpoints.

8) At the title screen give the option of looking at the controls before starting the game because having the controls appear when you start playing can really annoy people especially if they are replaying the game.

They only option I think a webgame can do without is being able to play multi player unless it's something like poker the multi player isn't necessary. I have seen a lot of games with this feature and it wasn't needed.

Hope this helps

This helps a lot, thank you, but these two answers are not enough too bad x.x Anyone else who wants to answer?

I dont in anyway play webgames but a friend of mine is utterly addicted to them.
In my thoughts its like this
If you look at farmville Its having a distinct mission(make money build bigger) and somehow it snags people.
Mostly the goal is money or aquiring something and within a limited time,so your more or less forced to return and continue hence thats how people become addicted since if you dont want such and such to die/wither/get stolen/invaded you need to return befor a certain time.
Pretty much thats why I think they become addictive because your more or less forced to go back so you dont lose what you created...well thats why farmvill became so popular at anyrate and it actually worked

Back