SPOILERS Was 9 ruined by the ending?

Critical Blue

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Back when I was in school, I had a discussion with my mate about the ending.

The story line focused on a truly magical medieval theme, but towards the end it got a bit weird. The whole Kuja and Zidane thing was brill (about them being brothers, etc) but the two worlds clashing was just plane strange.

Personally, I think the whole game up until the last part was brilliant, but that the ending was far-fetched and stupid.

Thoughts?

Personally, I really liked the ending. I just wish it wasn't so long...Its what, 20 minutes long was it? It seemed like that...

I wont deny that it was expected, but it was still very good to see. I think that
Garnet really should have gone back and picked up her amulet after she tried to beat Zidane
though :giggle:. I wonder what happened to it...

i think zidane shoulda died it would make the ending have more of an impact lol

I don't think it was the ending that ruined it. Why would FFIX be ruined anyway? Just because many people didn't like it doesn't mean that people don't appreciate it. I was surprised when
Zidane appeared in the middle of the play.

nah i dont think it was ruined, well for me square just wanna give a positive ending for the two brothers, well maybe since kuja is about to die maybe they "square" dont wanna leave a grudge or someting to zidane as his "kuja" little brother.:)

You've got me all wrong - I'm not talking about the ending... ENDING (i.e. last video).

I'm talking about the whole "Memoria, Crystal World and Final Dimension" rubbish.

Personally, I think the story would have been much better if Garland had of been human and been Kuja's and Zidane's father. Towards the end Zidane would go to another castle in Gaia where both lived and kicked both their arses there.

All that strange underworld rubbish ruined it for me. The life and death part about Vivi was good, but the the two worlds colliding was just over the top...

Last edited:
i wouldnt say it ruined it, but it did leave you with many questions and kinda made, me anyway, feel like hmmm...36 hours of gameplay for that!?

i DONT think its ruined, its a great ending

i just wanna know what happened to KUJA after Zidane rescued him

how did zidane get out

what happened to Everyone after that ending...

i wish there's Final Fantasy IX-2

i love this game

Personally I think Necron ruined it. I love Kuja and he could have been such a badass final boss, but then Necron appears out of nowhere and it's like.... what the hell?! I love everything else about the game though, and once Necron's gone the ending is pretty good, particulary the scene with Zidane running along the Iifa Tree..... but to the OP, I don't think the stuff about the two worlds colliding ruined it - it needed something to make it more epic, and that did. But like I said, I wish Kuja had been the very last boss, and had been much harder to beat.

Nope, it wern't, it was great, the ending absolutely fantastic!
Tell you one thng though, you shouldn't complete it without beating the even harder boss ... ozmos?

Personally, I think the story would have been much better if Garland had of been human and been Kuja's and Zidane's father. Towards the end Zidane would go to another castle in Gaia where both lived and kicked both their arses there.

All that strange underworld rubbish ruined it for me. The life and death part about Vivi was good, but the the two worlds colliding was just over the top...

Garland being their father would have been way too cheesy and predictable. As for the underworld, I think it gave more depth to the game, no pun intended. As for the worlds colliding, I partially agree with you, but as has already been stated in this thread, the ending needed to be epic.

i wouldnt say it ruined it, but it did leave you with many questions and kinda made, me anyway, feel like hmmm...36 hours of gameplay for that!?

I appreciate the unanswered questions. Add your questions to the following:

Lindblum, Cleyra and Burmecia need to be rebuilt. Alexandria can be overhauled to accommodate the new queen. The mist is gone, so all the airships need to be replaced with steam-engine ones or better. The technology of this world can advance.

All these things considered, the game leaves plenty of room for a sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, being such a brilliant game Square Enix are always having the same problem. They are having so much pressure pushed on them that having the perfect ending and fulfilling everyones expectations is near to impossible.

I think it was a great twist. I did not see the whole new "world" coming until just a short time before you find out about it. I think it was a great turn of events and it broke from the mold you had set in your mind about the game and its events. Im sure plenty of people were confused but thats what makes FFIX a final fantasy game. It makes you question and think. You almost need to immerse yourself into the game so that you can understand its events and whats to come. I dont remember much of the crossing over, but i do rememebr an airship battle type of FMV over an ice continent/island. Great stuff. I really enjoyed it and i dont think anything ruined FFIX, and if anything it wasnt the ending events. To me, the ending events really made me happy because the whole archetype of young lovers, one being royalty and another being an alley rat or something like that kinda took away some suspense. Then zidane discovers something about himself and so on, adding a lot to the game and even though it caused a lot of questions, you were able to answer a lot of them. Its a matter of what your looking for in a game or story and whether or not the epic scale of the two worlds is your fancy.

Like FFIX in general I found the ending was both enjoyable and annoying.
The part where Kuja gives up annoyed me to no end as it was totally in defiance of his character. We never even get to learn what every happened to him. We know Zidane survived because he arrived at the play (which I did enjoy even though it was hardly surprising) but no mention of Kuja at all.

i really liked the ending it showed that zidane could forgive and it closed it all up so no questions could be asked

I thought the final boss was kinda random, so I agree with TK...he had no other significance in the story...

Back