Wanted to play through all the Final Fantasy games.

CerasLord

Gil
Hey guys,

I've played Final Fantasy VII before along with some Star Ocean games. I wanted to play through the whole Final Fantasy series from 1-13 and wanted to know the best way to play through them? I was going to do 1-6 on my android phone using a GBA simulator. Would this be the best way or should I play the original SNES/NES versions on WII using a simulator or just on my phone using SNES/NES simulator?

Thanks,

I am doing that now myself. I am on Final Fantasy IV. Here are the versions of the games that I think you should do to get the authentic experience:

Final Fantasy Origins which contains Final Fantasy I and II which are the original with some updates for PS1. Available for download on PS3
Final Fantasy III original NES version which there is an English fan translation of and is used on an emulator. Seek out emuparadise.
Final Fantasy Chronicles version of Final Fantasy IV which came out for the Playstation 1 which is also the original with updates to the PS1
Final Fantasy Anthology which contains the original V and VI. Anthology came out on on the Playstation 1. Updates for PS1 version also but still the original. Available for download on PS3 as seperates.
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX Playstation 1. Available for download on PS3
Final Fantasy X Playstation 2. The HD Remaster is coming March 18th for North America and Canada and on the 21st for Europe. I would get that one but select the original game. Don't play X-2
Final Fantasy XI which is an online MMORPG. Best way to play this is on Steam.
Final Fantasy XII Playstation 2.
Final Fantasy XIII Playstation 3.

You can use emulators for I through XII except XI though you need a decent computer with a good graphics card for X, XI and XII

Not sure what systems you have or where your from... but.. I will say how you can play each game for America (doing it legit meaning no emulators or anything.

FFI NES, PS1, GBA, PSP, PSN, Wii (virtual console), IOS/Android Devices

FFII, PS1, GBA, PSP, PSN, IOS/Android Devices

FFIII DS, PSP, IOS/Android Devices

FFIV SNES, PS1, GBA, DS, PSP, Wii (Virtual Console) IOS/Android Devices

FFV PS1, GBA, PSN, IOS/Android Devices

FFVI SNES, PS, GBA, PSN, Wii (Virtual Console), IOS/Android Devices

FFVII PS, PSN, PC (through Steam)

FFVIII PS, PSN, PC (through Steam)

FFIX PS, PSN

FFX PS2, PS3 (in March)

FFXI PS2, PC (reminder this is an MMORPG)

FFXII PS2

FFXIII PS3, xbox 360

FFXIV PS3, PC (reminder this is a MMORPG)

If you want to know about any of the side games or sequels/prequels to any of the main FF games, let me know (y)

Last edited:
They probably didn't think at the time that the Western world would be so inclined to Final Fantasy collectively, so they chose the ones which stood out the best and chronologized them in our own 'FF canon'.

When they saw that the West had received FFVII as if it were a holy artifact from God's underbelly, that's when they probably decided to say 'hey, let's give them some of the others'.
And *boom*, Anthology hits the shelves. Then the GBA installments, and so on.

There were some spinoffs even before however. Mystic Quest and the GB's Legend series come to mind :)

Back