Type of games do you play?

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
So maybe I just have been playing games too long or something, but I find myself not finding games that I just really love to play anymore, I am actually going through my backlog of games and kicking it down, and I see the type of games that are really coming out and I realize I don't like Sandbox RPG games or FPS games too much (I do pick up one here and there for fun.)

It made me wonder what type of games did you play when you first really started to game, and what type of games do you really play now? are you more open to the type of genre of games you play? Do you only play a selected few types of genre's?

For me I am very much into RPG's... Well more JRPG's more than RPG's (since that world seems to be tossed out more and more with more games...) When I was younger I also enjoyed JRPG's (basically the games that got me into gaming) I also did play a lot of Platform games, like Mario, and Crash. The JRPGS are what stood out the most though for me.
I do play the hack and slash games like Dynasty Warriors, and pick up a good FPS every now and then, but I really love my JRPG games.

So, what type of games did you use to play when you were younger? What type of games do you play now?

I used to be a heavy RPG gamer back when I was kid, along with the occasional fighting game like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. RPGs such as KH, DragonQuest, and FF, you know, the typical 5 star standards then. Also played the usual hack and slash like Iron Phoenix.

Now, I'm pretty much an all-around gamer. Racing, FPS, more RPGs, Adventure, I'll pretty much play whatever I can buy for cheap. And there's a shitload of them.

My first games were platformer/adventure games and side-scrolling or flat out fighting games. This was largely due to my sister owning the game consoles until I was four years old resulting in a lot of Sonic, Streets of Rage, Battletoads, Shinobi and Street Fighter II. Largely my variation in this was from her original GameBoy playing Super Mario Land and Tetris. I still remember the music clearly in my head to this day and even picked up a Mega Drive II to relive it recently. When it came to the purchase of a PS we branched into platformers again with Abe's Oddysee and Mickey's Wild Adventure.

It wasn't until two years later my sister started dating this guy who played FFVII and FFVIII a lot. He promptly gifted me copies of them and from then on I got hooked on RPGs. I picked up what I could but what with being in the UK with incredibly limited money I was just happy picking up second hand copies of FF I - VI for my PS. Since then I followed the RPG path solidly and I guess it wasn't until the PS2 came out I gained my broadened taste to play most games excluding Sports and most Simulations.

For the most part I play games for the story or if I've played a previous game in the series though certain gameplay opportunities have appealed to me. For example having enjoyed Dead Rising 2's multiplayer with friends I picked up Dead Island GOTY, certainly not for the story. For the same reasons I like crossover games such as Capcom VS SNK 2001 Mark of the Millennium and Smash Bros., though I'd say my urge to seek gameplay stems from lots of early fighter game days.

Comparatively and ultimately I suppose I still stick to the fusion I made of my tastes at PS. If I can afford it and the gameplay or story appeals, I'll purchase it at the lowest price somewhere! Give me both and I'll jump on it as per Folklore, Crisis Core, SRWZ Hakaihen and Deus Ex.

When I was younger the games I would play consisted of side scrollers, a bit of survival, and some rpg games/shooters. I mostly played Pokemon, Mario, sonic, twisted metal, spyro, etc. All those games made up my childhood.

I can still remember playing lots of Sonic on the Genesis and dreamcast. I loved Sonic adventure 1, 2, and sonic shuffle a lot when I was a bit younger. Sonic Shuffle was basically mario party but with Sonic characters. I also used to play lots of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Spyro was a franchise that I really loved. Ripto's rage and Spyro 3 in particular are the best ones.

Super smash bros was like my first good fighting game next to Killer instinct. Super smash bros was such a fun game. I sucked a lot back then though and I can still remember being knocked out on normal difficulty. I used to use Luigi all the time because I was practically obsessed with Luigi back then xD

I played Dino crisis at a very young age. I was scared to death and would always hand my brother the controller. You never know what will happen in that game. I remember screaming when a velociraptor just jumped on me from a window, or when a massive t-rex just breaks a huge window in one room. I was so scared because I was like seven years old! xD

Nowadays I follow along my childhood and play sequels. I played more fighting games such as Soul Calibur, street fighter, etc. The new smash bros games had me playing a very long time. I play all the main series pokemon games also.

Today I would say that I mostly am into fighters, shooters(although I did not get into halo till like 2004), rpg games such as FF, Xeno, tales of series, etc. JRPG games seem to be what I love.. even though some really have fallen apart.

There is so much more of my childhood but those were some of the best parts.

I think it's probably easier to state what I don't play: I don't play sports games and I don't play military shooters and MOBA games. Anything else I will play if the gameplay is good and/or it has an interesting storyline. I've always had a weakness for RPGs though.

The types of games I like to play are:

Role Playing Games- They were my first type of games that I have played as a player. It is one of my favorite type of game that I like playing with. This type of games are based on background stories about the characters, exploring the world map, completing side quest and mini games, etc. This type of games are very fun to play with.

Horror- Another of my personal favorite type of games that I like to play. This type of games relies on surviving horror attacks. Resident Evil was the first series that I started playing from this category. It is the best horror series that I have played and is my personal favorite series.

Action-Adventure- This type of games are fun to play because of the amount of puzzles solving and action it has. Tomb Raider is probably the most recognizable game from this category. This old school classic has been a favorite to many players out there including me. It is the best Action-Adventure series that I have seen so far.

These days I do not have time for much. I generally just play a relaxing RPG or MMO (ffxiv) for a bit and then read.

The catch is the story has to be on par with the game though. WoW was horrible at this.

When I was growing up, I really enjoyed the standard platformer/turnbased RPG. Here, Sonic/Final Fantasy.
Later on, I found myself favoring more open games, like the Legend of Zelda, dungeon crawlers.

I guess that kind of stuck with me, though, because Bethesda/BioWare have got a lifelong customer. Bunjie, too, as long as Destiny holds out.

I suppose I just love lore-gaming.

My favourite genre of video games has always been Survival Horror followed by Hack n Slash n Action-adventures(eg LoZ). Action RPGs and Visual Novels(eg.AA) I only started getting into bout 4 or 5 years ago. Platformers and (J)RPGs were the genres I played for most of my childhood but they do nothing for me now. Realistically, playing rpgs is no longer an option for me because I dont have the time or interest to sit n invest so many hours into em without having week, sometimes month long breaks in between. Completely ruins the immersion n my overall experience.

I have no interest in online gaming eg MMORPGs. I remember a time where I loved Unreal Tournament n always got killed as soon as I respawned. I loved hearing the announcer during the game and recall the sound effects being so powerful.

Fighting games (SSB,UMvC3)n co-op/MP FPShooters (Halo) and multiplayer platformers were only played when family n friends visit. Nowadays I'll go over to a friends house n play a new release there. Last game I took turns in playing with friends was Bloodborne. Alot of fun.

When I was younger I loved action platformers. I grew up with the Ratchet & Clack, Sly Raccoon and Jak and Daxter series, and I still have a fondness for the genre.
But my prefence has evolved and become quite a bit broader. The unifying elements in my favourite modern games are a combination sympathetic characters, engaging plot as well as atmospheric and interesting art direction. Of course I do enjoy gameplay with a satisfying level of feedback and impact, but I prioritise the narrative elements. Purely story driven games however aren't my thing, as I do require a sufficient amount of interactivity to be properly engaged.

Horror-action titles and more compact RPGs are my preference at the moment.

My first game was bowling on the 2600. I mostly played platformers early on, though I had been exposed to others, like point and click adventure games. Either FFVII or Pokemon was my first J-RPG, which has been my favorite genre since.

Nowadays I just love playing games. I will literally try anything, no matter how bad. I just love exploring game design. As such, I'm into most genres, from fighting, to shooters, to platformers, to racing games. The only genre I'm not super into is puzzle games.

Hmmm I enjoy shooters and adventure games like Tomb Raider/Uncharted. Though they don't seem to hold the same interest for me as they once did.

Aside from that, I enjoy what XIV is. As my first MMO, I honestly would never have guessed the genre would hook me in like it has. It's just fun. And there's always more. For that reason I doubt I'll ever touch one again once my time with XIV is up, haha.

I've tended to have large shifts over the years in regards to what genre/types of games I play.

When I was young is was more or less whatever was available to play such as Sonic (SEGA Megadrive / Saturn), Bomberman 64 / Mario Kart 64 / Diddy Kong Racing / Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64), Space Invaders / GTA 2 / Croc / Crash Bandicoot / Spyro / Driver (underground parking lot) (PS1) and then a mixed bag of games for PS2. The only staple franchise I really played throughout my childhood was Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Ruby & Emerald.

Between 15 to 19 I was undoubtedly heavily online based with shooters / action-adventure. During the PS3 era - back in the day - I played a lot of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 because that was the game EVERYONE was playing if they were using consoles online; I think I was probably about average ability but I enjoyed it. I then moved onto Call of Duty: Black Ops but mainly played online solo or with people from forums - it was probably my favourite Call of Duty multiplayer title hanging up my Call of Duty hat after 200+ online hours and a 4.25 kdr - I've dabbled in other titles since but I've never got into them and I hated the futuristic-running-up-walls malarkey that was implemented. I then moved on to Uncharted 3 multiplayer which I really, really enjoyed - again, online solo and forum folk - I think I ended up hitting the lofty heights of #7 in co-operative, globally; unfortunately, it's unbelievably time consuming to maintain any sort of ranking so I gave up. Thus, after Uncharted 3 I gave up playing online multiplayer a) because I didn't have the time, b) I stopped enjoying it and most importably, c) a combination of the two meant I ended up seriously sliding down the skill ladder... as someone who grew up on sport, I hated losing. I had phases with FIFA too, but I've not bought one for several years now.

These days I tend to just play games I know for a fact I'll enjoy, which leans more towards RPGs - I think 49% of my playtime was spent across four RPGs last year (Persona 5, Ni No Kuni II, Kingdom Hearts III & Final Fantasy XII) - and I still have Final Fantasy X, X-2 & XV to play along with Final Fantasy VII Remake & Persona 5 Royal. I'm also looking at Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX & Animal Crossing: New Horizons this year, so a wide spectrum outside of RPGs too. There is something weirdly satisfying about spending dozens of hours grinding, yet at the same time... torturous.

I never play online multiplayer these days other than any trophy requirements - I don't see any point with online unless you're fully committed long-term, otherwise you see few benefits from it. I think my 2019 Playstation wrap-up showed 0.001% of my play time was online.

There are genres and sub-genres I've never been interested in as I got older, namely:
- racing (never, ever been interest in).
- horror (weirdly, I don't mind horror films, but not a fan of horror in gaming).
- fighting (always been absolutely woeful at them, so I never bother).

Initially I was a RPG/Adventure Gamer this was around when I was 7 or so and had a SNES, I mostly played games like Zelda, Final Fantasy, E.V.O. , Super Mario RPG. Later on when the PS1 Released I started going and trying new things, thankfully the Playstation Magazine gave me tons of options to try over the years of the consoles lifespan, I ended up trying Sports games Like Hot Shots Golf, Fighting Games like Star Gladiator, Horror Games like Resident Evil, RPG's and Adventure Games were still my jam but I enjoyed trying these games and expanding my horizons.

Overall thanks to the PS1 having so many unique games, Nowadays I play mostly Horror, RPG, and Fighting Games. But I tend to get out of my comfort zone and try anything that has good reviews (even poor reviews if the mechanics or story grab me) I tend to do alot of research on anything I play now because I normally tend to stream my games on twitch.

Genres I adore -
Horror
RPG
Adventure
Fighting
MMO/MOBA

Genres I will not play very often if at all -
Racing/Sports
RTS
Platform
Shooter(has to be really good to get me into it)
Simulation

Resurrection!!!

I'm definitely really into stealth games. I even try and completely sneak through areas without bothering enemies. I feel a lot more accomplished that way.

I love RPGS. I do enjoy JRPGs but I've come to prefer western as I've gotten older. They both offer unique experiences.

The last couple of years I've gotten into the Yakuza series so...whatever you want to call those games I'm into it.

I like horror game but I barely play them anymore. The last one I played I really liked was Evil Within which I know a lot of folks don't like or say the sequel is better but i did enjoy the first one quite a bit, though the sequel was good too.

And I also found I'm into hard games. Sekiro has become one of my all time favorite games and it humbled me very much. I also enjoy games like Mount and Blade and Kenshi which are also both very hard.

When i was young I enjoyed "fighting game" with my schoolmates : Sf 2 Snes, Soul Edge and Tekken 1-2 Psx, Virtua Fighter 1-2 Saturn.

Now I prefer Jrpg and Adventure

Back