Top 30 Final Fantasy Villains Countdown (Complete!)

Does Delita qualify as a villain, and should he have been given his own spot on the list?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VillainFan42

Ex-Soldier
Gil
FFXIV
Arza Ra'qael
Free Company
Prelude of Light <Lux>
So a while back I decided to make a list of my favorite Final Fantasy villains, since I love Final Fantasy and I love villains. Well, since then I've played more games that I hadn't before, and so I decided on my nerd blog (that I just started last month) and in the spirit of Halloween, all throughout the month of October, I will be counting down the 30 best villains with a fresh outlook.

I actually started back on October 1, but I didn't want to post here yet because I already did that earlier countdown. But I've changed my mind on a few things since then.

In terms of criteria, I’m ranking them on a few things- their motivations, designs, personalities, how competent they are, how intimidating they are, how good their fights are, their impact on the franchise and its fans, etc.

Just from the get-go, no Final Fantasy games are off-limits (though only 2 are not from the main series) and some of the villains featured are from Final Fantasy XIV. By its very nature, the story is still going and hasn’t reached its conclusion yet, so there is a very real possibility more villains added from that game in the future I am unaware of as of this writing. Also bear in mind I haven’t played EVERY game in the series.

Lastly, HERE BE SPOILERS.

Now, here is the countdown itself! (Here are links to their entries on my blog. I have to get my blog out there somehow.)

Honorable and Dishonorable Mentions
#10 + Bonus

Agree with my choices? Disagree? Feel free to let me know!

Last edited:
The list is halfway over, and I am breaking up the list with my honorable and dishonorable mentions.

This is an interesting list with some really well thought-out character analyses too!

I like that it doesn't just lump the obvious choices together. I haven't even heard of some of these villains because I never progressed far in the online games. Fordola rem Lupis, for example. I'd never heard of this character before reading your description. She seems like an understated character with well-developed but misguided motivations. I'm quite intrigued!

This is an interesting list with some really well thought-out character analyses too!

I like that it doesn't just lump the obvious choices together. I haven't even heard of some of these villains because I never progressed far in the online games. Fordola rem Lupis, for example. I'd never heard of this character before reading your description. She seems like an understated character with well-developed but misguided motivations. I'm quite intrigued!

I'm glad you like it so far. I should mention that all the obvious ones are still gonna be in the upper tier of the list, but there are still a couple oddballs in there. And something tells me my #1 pick is gonna be a bit contentious...

I was going to upload 12 and 11 today, but I decided not to. 11 will be up either tomorrow or Monday along with 10.

I updated the list with #10, plus a little bonus where I discuss another character who would've been a shoo-in for the Top 10, but it's pretty debatable if he's actually a villain or not. You know what? I'll make that a poll.

I just added #9. The reason he won out over #10 was because the final fight against #10 was bullcrap. If it hadn't been for that fight, Wiegraf would've been a bit higher on the list.

The top 5 has kicked off with the best of the worst. The #1 villain will be posted on Halloween. Stay tuned!

Just added #2, and... heh heh...

...please don't kill me.

Anyway, stay tuned for #1 tomorrow!

Happy Halloween! I have just uploaded my #1 pick. This might be an unpopular choice, but I stand by it.

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!

I'm late as I've been very busy, but that is certainly an interesting choice for #1!

While I don't think I'd pick him as my personal #1, I don't disagree with that entirely as I really do love that villain. At first I was unsure about him and his motives, but once I understood who he was I was struck with a lot of fridge horror moments. I think he's truly a unique villain, but I wish we'd seen more. However, more will come!

Thought that Kefka was going to get the top spot as he usually does. So this was an interesting surprise! Not sure I agree with him being the top spot, though can see why somebody would consider him great at the same time.

Back