Advent Children The Wolf

Serah

l'Cie,
Veteran
Gil
So there has been much speculation about the symbolism of the wolf in this movie. I've heard that it's Zack's spirit staying with Cloud, I've heard it's Aerith's spirit and I've also heard that the wolf symbolizes Cloud's lonliness. Cloud is like a lone wolf. I've also heard that is what the wolf on his arm and in his ear is referred to as well that's why Cloud wears them. So what do you guys? What is your speculation and theory of the wolf?

I wouldn't say that the wolf itself is Zack but probably to symbolize him in some way, Cloud wearing the wolf on his shoulder etc could be Cloud's way of remembering Zack in the same way everyone is wearing the pink ribbons to symbolize Aerith.

i think its Zack aswell because at the start of the movie when Cloud is by the buster sword in the ground he says "i said i would live both our lives,easy to make that promise" or something like that, and isnt he wolf there aswell?

In Japanese culture there is said to be a Wolf symbolizing life and spiritualism meaning it is most likely either the lifestream manifesting into a wolf much like a gaurdian angel, or it is both Zack and Aerith but definitely not either one or the other... You choose whichever one you like more!!!

See I always seen the wolf as Zack's spirit watching over Cloud just like a big brother would and just like he did before he was killed ^_^ I also see the wolf as a symbolism of Cloud's lonliness so I was just curious what everybody else thought ^^

His Motorcycle is called "Fenrir". It's been a long time since I read up on Norse Mythology, but I'm confident when I say he was a mythological Wolf who gaurded the gates to Valhala, no? Well, the Wolf and the bike have to be connected - maybe Cloud just wanted matching attire? :P Or even guarding the gates to his emotions, or something. You know the expression, "I opened a gate"?

His Motorcycle is called "Fenrir". It's been a long time since I read up on Norse Mythology, but I'm confident when I say he was a mythological Wolf who gaurded the gates to Valhala, no? Well, the Wolf and the bike have to be connected - maybe Cloud just wanted matching attire? :P Or even guarding the gates to his emotions, or something. You know the expression, "I opened a gate"?
Mostly right but Fenrir was not guarding the gate to Valhala he was just the son of Loki and grew to big for his bonds with his father... His jaws touched the earth and sky at the same time, he was killed after killing odin, odin's son killed him he did no guarding of Valhala...

It appears that there is a mythological theme for Cloud so the whole Norse mythology thing really has nothing to do with the wolf. It's just to sound cool.

The wolf actually symbolized cloud's guilt for 'letting' his friends die. It was the cause of his lonliness, but it was in no way a symbol of that. When the wolf disappears in the end of the movie, it's to show that cloud no longer feels guilty and that he can finally move on with his life.

Personally I'd liketo say it's Zack because Aeris appears in the game in Clouds visions of her. Zack only showed up as one of Clouds thoughts.

So if we're keeping score here, Aeris showed up (or talked) 7 times throughout the movie in. The wolf only showed up 3 times. Let the wolf be Zack, Aeris has already showed up enough..........hardest working dead person around.

IMO The wolf is a part of Cloud - the one that makes him want to be alone and detached. When the Wolf goes away, it is like Dragon Mage said, Cloud can move on with his life, and becomes a person (and a friend) again.

No, unfortunately it's not :( I was reading the Reunion Files today (it's not a link, it's a book you can buy) and it states that the wolf is a symbol of Cloud's lonliness. Cloud is like a lone wolf himself and I think in a way he always will be, hence the wolf on his shoulder, the wolf earring and his motorcyle being named Fenrir. Also it is a symbol of his guilt that he feels for letting Aerith die. You see it disappear at the end of the movie because some of his guilt has been lifted. That's what it says in the RF.

LOL! I feel like I've mentioned this a thousand freakin times now....The Reunion Files are a book based off of the characters in the movie, tells about them, how they were created, etc...it's not a cheap book and the best place to purchase it would be on ebay.

Yeah, as Lady Aerith said, the wolf is like a symbol of Cloud's lonliness and remmourse. The wolf appears at Zack's grave and whenever Cloud daydreams about Aerith, when in all of those scenes he is beating up on himself. The wolf disappears when Cloud learns to forgive himself for the deaths of his loved ones at the end of the movie.:)

PS. I think the reunion files are available in English, also...

Back