The Retreat: An 'In Character' Chit Chat Thread

CassinoChips

Get out.
Veteran
Gil
Setzer's Tent
Welcome to The Retreat.

With it's large couches with soft pillows, and a continuously stoked fire roaring in the hearth, not to mention the open bar, The Retreat is a place for your RP characters to sit back, relax, share a beverage and shoot the breeze with their compatriots (or even with their mortal enemies).

If you want to flesh out ideas for a new character, or even reacquaint yourself with an old one, this is the place to do it. Come on in, grab a seat by the fire, and join the conversation!

THE RULES

- You must be in character (IC) at all times.

- The character need not be previously approved.

- As it is a Post Count section, posts should be of reasonable length (minimum of 4 lines).

- You may come and go as you please, as may your characters.

- If you have multiple characters, you may combine all your characters' actions into a single post, or have an individual post for each character in The Retreat. (Double posting is still a no-no, however.)

- 400-word maximum per post.

- No fighting.

- No drunken karaoke.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The hulking figure slapped the accumulated snow from his riding leathers and traveling cape after dismounting his massive destrier. It was a cold winter this year, in this place, and he was glad - or, at least, as close to any sort of positive emotion he could be - to have happened upon the secluded log cabin. He tied up his horse's lead to a hitching post in a lean-to that offered the animal adequate protection from the weather. It wasn't a driving blizzard, by any means. In fact, there was something almost peaceful in the slowly falling snow. But it was a touch on the freezing side, with a slight breeze wafting up from the plains.

John Henry Westhead, or Force, as he was more commonly known in recent times, eased his massive frame through the door and into the common room of the cabin. He struck an imposing figure, standing seven feet tall, with broad shoulders to match, and every eye in the room would without a doubt come to rest on him. They would have, of course, if there were any eyes currently in the room. There were not. The place was empty. Not abandoned, by any means. Force could see signs of recent inhabitants. Very recent, in fact. There was a fire blazing merrily in the hearth.

Looking over to the far end of the room, he noticed a large bar, fully stocked. On the bar itself was a small, brightly colored sign. Force walked over and read the sign. "HELP YOURSELF!" Not being one who needed to be told twice, Force reached over the bar and grabbed the first bottle his hand came to rest on. "Azarian dry whiskey," he said to himself, softly. Grabbing a shot glass, he poured himself a drink and tossed it back. Then he nearly breathed fire.

"By the Abyss," he choked. "They aren't kidding about it being dry."

Force poured himself a second shot and downed it in similar fashion. Wincing, he leaned over the counter and found a bottle of brandy along with a snifter. He poured himself some of the drink, then made his way to a couch near the fire, where he sat back and began to relax, content in having a rare opportunity to do so.

A battered orange truck whirred its way up the barely existent driveway deep in the forest, it's magically-powered engine nearly silent. It came to a halt just beside an imposing mount that pawed the ground impatiently.

A black-haired woman stepped out, eyed the building and grabbed her sword for good measure. Could never be too careful...

Stepping inside, she saw a huge bear of a man crouched on the couch, making that large piece of furniture seem small by comparison. Razina wasn't all that surprised to see someone else was here. This was a favorite place for the odd pieces of society to congregate.

Razina Hawkins closed the door behind her, mindful of not letting the cold seep in. The woman had all the strong, slim build of an warrior, with a barely visible scar etched on her left shoulder. Dressed in casual blue jeans and shirt with a black leather vest (which was actually etched with runes of protection on the inside and doubled as covert armor) she could have been any other typical mercenary or soldier found walking the streets of Rennon. Aside from her fair looks and her battle-worn sword, she was perfectly normal.

But her eyes marked her stigma, gave away the magically distorted DNA that made her a geno, an outcast. The irises were twice as large, like a cat with little sclera showing, and deep violet in color. The pupil was silver, and radiated glistening threads through the bizarrly colored iris.

"Let me guess -- you're ride got a flat?" she said to the Big Man, deciding to start things off on the right foot.

Last edited:
"This little area filled with plenty of life to go around." A strange figure spoke. A being whose race is not classified to knowledge. His name is not known to many, just those who really got to know him. A figure who doesn't really converse with a lot of people. However, those who he does talk to, they tend to get the wrong idea about him. Just by first-impression, others assume this figure is the kind of guy that often gets into trouble just for the hell of it. However, that is not the kind of guy he is.

"I will take a scotch, with some brandy on the side." The strange figure spoke, bringing off little features of his actual skin, or even his body. He wore a long maroon robe with a long hood attached to it which was covering his head. Despite his true intensions of hiding his face, the figure was shown to have a pale blue complexion. He also bared a very long devilish-like tail that stretched out to an estimated five foot length; shaded white. Along with those features, was a mid-back length hair that glowed with a shiny blonde color.

A few minutes after he ordered his drink, the figure took the time to glance around the lounge. He looked, and he saw that it was a little place. The type of area where people come just to chill and relax, maybe with some slight conversation along with it. But, mostly filled with relaxation.

At last his drink came forth, and the bartender asked for the figure's name. Up until now, strangers never dared to ask for his name, but seeing how he knew nothing about the bartender, the figure decided to give him a chance by revealing his name to him..

"You can call me... Segreto Avalon."

Razina glanced at the odd figure at the bar, who spouted some random line without any prompting. "Yeah, get right with ya Chuckles." Where the hell did he come from? She was sure he wasn't there a second ago....

Aside, she said to the silent Big Man, "Who the hell is that?"

Last edited:
"Let me guess -- you're ride got a flat?"

It was the wrong foot.

Force hardly acknowledged the woman.

"Who the hell is that?"

Force took a sip from his brandy, and without looking away from the fire, said to the woman, "I do not know. Nor do I care."

Upon revealing his name to the Bartender, Segreto began to enjoy his drink. He was actually enjoying his time at the bar, but it was short-lived. Across the room, a female decided to actually talk to Segreto. Honestly, he didn't know how to react to this. Usually all are frightened by his appearance, but not this one; she was different in so many ways. Instead of running away in fear, the woman across the room was the first to confront Segreto.

So, in good manners, Segreto decided to respond to the female. Turning his chair, and eyeballing the woman, Segreto stared at the female with his barely noticeable blue eyes, and calmly responded..

"As I said to the bartender."Segreto paused for a brief second...

"You can call me Segreto Avalon." He said, pausing once more.

"Who might you be strange one?"

Last edited:
Razina didn't bat an eye at the Big Man's gruff response. He was a lot like many fellow outcast genos -- tough, big, and mean all over. She had a feeling she was going to like this guy.

"I see. Well, if anyone needs some death-by-exposure, I'll send 'em your way!" She grinned at his back, knowing he probably wouldn't get the implied joke about his 'cold shoulder' but saying it anyway. "By the way, nice horse you got there. I've never seen the like since the War."

Striding across the room, not bothering for a response from the Big Man, she went to the bar and helped herself to a cold Coke. Every second she was aware of the other man's piercing blue eyes. She casually leaned against the bar, facing toward the large common room.

"Segreto? Nice to meet you. I'm Razina, but just call me Raz. Are you a geno too?" She had to ask -- those with magically distorted DNA always carried some kind of physical defect, some worse than others. This mans' odd appearance didn't phase her a bit -- she'd seen a lot worse, all of them good, decent people too. But Segreto... she wasn't sure if he was a geno or something else.

Last edited:
Taking a deep sigh, Segreto was puzzled by what Raz had answered, and asked what he was. A geno, now that was something Segreto have not heard of, he never knew there was a label for those whose physical features were disfigured, or even modified to a degree. However, Segreto knew there was a reason that he came out the way he did. Due to the fact that he was born a normal human, there must have been a reason for his physically-enhanced appearance.

"A geno" Segreto said with a puzzled look. He had no idea what she was referring to, but all in the same..Segreto had a feeling that she knew something about his outward appearance that he did not.

"Raz was it. What do you mean by Geno?" Segreto asked, as his puzzled look evolved into a more confused and worried look. his suspicions about the term Geno grew even more.

Dressed in a traditional dress of a Miko, with her jet black hair smoothly cascading down her mid-back, Carys Agrias calculated the scene before her with intelligent eyes. She puttered away the evening by walking in the garden outside and now that the air has brought a slight chill, she was forced to mingle with the unfamiliar crowd. Sitting in her usual spot, she eyed the newcomers and slightly tilted her head, rubbing her glass of wine slowly next to her smooth lower cheek.

"Interesting," she thought. And she left her thought hanging at that, for boredom has taken hold of her once more.

Carys then placed her drink down, unfinished, and reached behind her back. With one skilled swoop, she tied her hair into a ponytail with a white ribbon, leaving long strands dangling from the sides in a careless manner. Abruptly, she stood up and walked over to the mysterious painting that she liked ever since she laid eyes on it a few months ago. Arms crossed, she studied the painting once more, trying to decipher the artist's bold strokes and unsual use of colors.

Raz gave Segreto a puzzled look, her silvery pupils flashing as the light hit them. How could he not know what a geno is?

Ah... maybe another dimension... that would explain it.

"A geno is... well, lets start from the beginning. You know warpstone, right? The magical rock that has magic gone renegade and literally warps or distorts anything that comes near? Well, sometimes people are exposed to a very small amount of warpstone and don't know it -- but their reproductive genes are affected. Their children are genos, and are cursed with the aftermath, and generally bear some kind of disfigurement. Like me, in case you didn't notice my lovely eyes." She couldn't keep the bitterness out of her voice at that last part.

"Anyways, where I come from, genos are pretty much exiled from society -- I was dumped in an orphanage a few hours after I was born. The Normals -- that's what we call people who aren't affected by warpstone -- have pretty much oppressed us in every way. But that'll change soon.."

Raz quickly smothered that with another sip from her Coke. She had to be careful. The rebellion wasn't ready to start just yet.

"Anyways, seeing your own unique appearance, I couldn't help but wonder if you were a geno too."

Razina took note of the other woman that had entered and now stared rapturously at a painting that gave the soldier a headache. Why would someone possibly stare at a painting like that? she wondered.

Orion slowed his sprint down slowly as he came across a building he hadnt remembered seeing before. And so carefully and silently walked up to the door and peered inside.
What he saw was a handful of people in the building and one particularly man sitting near to a fire roaring in the fire place.

Deciding he could do with some company he opened the door fully and grabbed a glass and filled it to the top with water,drinking the whole glass full in one he repeated and sat down on a couch opposite the hulk of a man.
"Finally a fire to warm myself by." Orion spoke to noone in particular.

He looked battered and bruised, and his clothes where bloodied and torn in more than one place. "I finally found some civilisation." Orion joked.

Alexander's bike roared through the snow, he came across a strange building, which looked like a tavern. He also noticed a orange truck and a mount. He pulled up next to the orange truck and got off his bike, took off his helmet off and put a hand through his dark red hair, he then put his helmet under his arm and left the sword on his back, He felt a cold snowflake land on his nose, he wiped it off and pushed open the door to the 'tavern'.

He got hit by a warm blast of the fire, and looked around the room, he saw a man dressed in rags sitting opposite a man who was double the size of him. He then looked to the other side of the room and saw a woman and a man standing at the open bar chatting.

He walked upto the bar and grabbed a bottle of scotch and a fancy looking shot glass, he nodded a hello to the woman and the man who stopped talking and were looking at him. He then poured some of the scotch into the glass and drank it all. He poured more scotch back into the glass and leaned on a window sill.

Orion watched as the dark red haired man walked into the bar and poured himself a drink. Seeing as he got no reply from the hulk of a man sitting opposite him and not wanting to push him to answer him, he decided to go and try and strike up a conversation with the newcomer.

"Hey you there" Orion spoke towards the newcomer. "Got any spare clothes" Orion spoke softly as he gestured with his free hand at his tattered rags of what would have once been the entirety of a suit.

Alexander looked up."Hey....Luckily for you...I do." He stood upright "Follow me outside,i've got some spare clothes in the back on my motorbike. Alexander began to walk out of the room, beckoning the man in the rags to follow him.

Orion followed the man outside but hung back, seeing as this was how his ordeal had started in the first place.
"Nice bike man, how much that set you back?" Orion asked staring at the bike parked up next to the orange truck he had seen as he had made his way into the tavern. "I dont mind what the hell you got spare as long as its clean and dry" Orion chuckled.

Well, set me back about...10 grand....good bike...had it for a while..." Alexander mumbled while walking to his motorbike. He opened up the container at the back of it ,while half laughing at the man's joke, and pulled out some baggy jeans and a black tank top, he then pulled a black woolen coat.

He closed the container and walked over to the man, while he handed the clothes over he said, half smiling " I didn't....catch your name..."

Seeing as Secrato, or Segreto, or whatever his name was wasn't going to strike up a conversation on her own, Raz decided to take the initiative.

Eyeing the two newcomers, she muttered, "This party needs some music."

Seeing the jukebox in the corner, she marched over to it, and selected a particularly recognizable classic rock song. "This ain't a song for the broken-hearted..." came the lyrics.

Bobbing her head in time with the beat, Raz took another sip from her Coke and sat down next to the Big Man, not caring if he ignored her presence or not. She tossed another log onto the fire, stirring sparks in the chimney and leaned back, resting her elbows on her knees.

"The Empire is coming down pretty soon," Raz said, apparently speaking to the fire. The Big Man, silent as ever, took up a lot of the couch space and the slim soldier shifted a bit so as to make sure she wasn't touching the man. "The mages have finally established contact with this 'higher power' the Emperor keeps talking about -- the one that supposedly guides him. The one that made all us genos into slaves. You know what happened to them?"

Without waiting for a reply, she answered her question. "They all went stark mad. Clawing chunks of skin out of each other, screaming like hell wouldn't have it. Took twenty men to hold them down then one of the damn mages when and blew up the whole building. I don't know the name of this 'higher power' but I do know one thing -- it's evil.

"And when the rebellion gets under way, we'll be under a lot of heavy attacks. Seeing as you're a pretty tough guy yourself, and if you're the one they're calling the 'Force' these days, I'd sure appreciate your help."

She turned slightly to look at the Big Man, dead serious for one of the rare times in her life.

"The names Orion, and yea as were onto introduction already I was on the way to discuss the problem with the monsters attacking my city" Orion spoke bluntly then beamed at the man for handing over some warm dry clothes. "Also I didnt catch your name either?" Orion asked the man, as he pulled off his tattered shirt and suit jacket and slipped on the black tank top over his head.

"Alexander.....An attack on your city? Tell me more about it inside, i'm freezing out here..." He said and walked into the bar once more, walked to the open bar and grabbed his bottle of scotch and his shot glass, he then walked to the seats by the fire and sat in one of the arm chairs across from the couch where the big man and the woman were sitting, he sat the bottle down on the small table next to him. He sat relaxed on the arm chair, drinking his scotch out the shot glass.

Back