The name of the battle system

DarkClaymore

Fatal Noob
Gil
Okay, so: what is the name of the battle system in FFI, FFII and FFIII?

I know that since FFIV there is the ATB and any FF with other battle system has a proper name for it.

But I have no idea what is the name of the battle system in FFI - FFIII :gonk:

Something like "turn based battle" or something?
Anyone?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's called "Turn Based".
FFX also has a turn based battle system. Although the earlier turn-based was a bit different (I think) : the early Turn-Based System just randomly picks the character from the party, while X takes account of their agility stats. (Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's called "Turn Based".
FFX also has a turn based battle system. Although the earlier turn-based was a bit different (I think) : the early Turn-Based System just randomly picks the character from the party, while X takes account of their agility stats. (Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, they are pretty much different.
Though, I am not sure about the random picking character part in the older FFs.

The battle systems usually have some kind of official short name like:
ATB - Active Time Battle
CTB - Conditional Turn-based Battle (the one in FFX called so)

Those short names usually mentioned near the beggining in Wikipedia, for every FF aside of FFI, FFII, FFIII . It says they have "turn based battle system", though. But I am not sure it is a "official" name.

Maybe they just didn't bother to give it a name back then or something.
Or maybe it is TBB (Turn Based Battle).

The original system is a Turn Based one, as HawksSens said. :) It even still called that in programs like RPG Maker. xD :P

So, it's a TBBS for short.... I think. Can't quite remember the abbreviation. :P

FFX is so different to FFIII. It's not the same battle system:

FFIII: Strategic Turn-Based Battle System

Sabriel is right, I think the official name is Strategic Turn Based Battle System. Note however that as far as character development goes, FFI I would call a character level up system; II I would call a skill level up system; and III of course is our introduction to the Job Class system

Back