Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Trailer the the upcoming Matrix sequel has been out for a few days now.

What do people think about it?

I'm not sure how I feel about there being another Morpheus. Apparently Lawrence Fishburne was never even asked to reprise his role, so there must be a reason. But I’m a bit guarded on that bit. It seems odd.

It also doesn't appear to be our Neo and Trinity, but another version of them. So I guess another version of the Matrix (such as is alluded to by the Architect in the original trilogy).

There's a funny rumour in regards to The Matrix Online (Which I didn't even know was a thing...) Where apparently Morpheus is seen killed!

I think this is more people tying it together with the actors abscense than, I don't believe the game is considered canon and is the reason why Morphues is absent. There is the PS2 action game Enter The Matrix which spent more time with Niobe and Ghost but that isn't really that important to the story.

As for the film itself... It could be good... I think there are far to many alternative timelines in movies these days due to companies digging up older properties. However, the concept of exploring the Blue Pill isn't totally unplausible but much like The Online game I am concerned about how it will tie into the Red Pill route and mess with the canon of the story... but I am open to seeing what it offers.

There's a funny rumour in regards to The Matrix Online (Which I didn't even know was a thing...) Where apparently Morpheus is seen killed!

I think this is more people tying it together with the actors abscense than, I don't believe the game is considered canon and is the reason why Morphues is absent. There is the PS2 action game Enter The Matrix which spent more time with Niobe and Ghost but that isn't really that important to the story.

I also hadn't heard of The Matrix Online. There is a part of me that really hopes that this isn't canon. That looks to be a pretty lame death for an iconic character like Morpheus. :sad2:

I did play Enter the Matrix though and I enjoyed it more than most people did. That game was canon, I believe, and they even filmed special live-action scenes with Ghost and Niobe to make sure it remained entrenched in the movie franchise. They just made sure it was a side-story so that the player wasn't simply replaying the film. Ultimately, this decision to have it tell an original story (whilst still bringing in established characters and locations) might be one of the reasons it wasn't very popular because most people wanted to play as Neo.

Niobe is apparently returning in Matrix Resurrections. She is still played by Jada Pinkett Smith too, so it seems so far that only Morpheus has been recast. Maybe there is a reason for Morpheus now being younger than the other characters? Has Morpheus been 'reset'?

We now have a new trailer.

It isn't as impactful as a standalone work of art as the first trailer, but this one gives a lot more context and hints about what the story itself might be about.

I saw this in the cinema a few weeks ago and actually quite liked it. I'd rank it above 2 and 3, honestly.

Interested to see whether they make a sequel or not.

Back