The Hunger Games

Terra Branford

Running an Orphanage!
Veteran
Gil
The-Hunger-Games-the-hunger-game-trilogy-2624996-421-253.jpg

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins!

I've recently begun the series after looking through lists for something to read. I was bored and went a few hours going through a HUGE thread on another forum looking and collecting books and adding it to a list. A couple of my friends said its amazing, not like ASoIaF, but still good. So? I decided to start the series! I'm on book 1 and just started (page 10).

Anyone else reading it? So far I'm enjoying it and I don't really like books written like this.

Here is a little excerpt:
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim’s warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course, she did. This is the day of the reaping.

I prop myself up on one elbow. There’s enough light in the bedroom to see them. My little sister, Prim, curled up on her side, cocooned in my mother’s body, their cheeks pressed together. In sleep, my mother looks younger, still worn but not so beaten-down. Prim’s face is as fresh as a raindrop, as lovely as the primrose for which she was named. My mother was very beautiful once, too. Or so they tell me.

Sitting at Prim’s knees, guarding her, is the world’s ugliest cat. Mashed-in nose, half of one ear missing, eyes the color of rotting squash. Prim named him Buttercup, insisting that his muddy yellow coat matched the bright flower. I le hates me. Or at least distrusts me. Even though it was years ago, I think he still remembers how I tried to drown him in a bucket when Prim brought him home. Scrawny kitten, belly swollen with worms, crawling with fleas.

The last thing I needed was another mouth to feed. But Prim begged so hard, cried even, I had to let him stay. It turned out okay. My mother got rid of the vermin and he’s a born mouser. Even catches the occasional rat. Sometimes, when I clean a kill, I feed Buttercup the entrails. He has stopped hissing at me.

Read more of the excerpt here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Games-...3521/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319150711&sr=8-1

To be quite honest and I mean no disrespect towards your opinion when I say this, Hunger Games is Battle Royale, tuned down for the kids and repackaged with a female protagonist. Just the same way that Coraline is The thief of always.

Don't worry, I was not offended or whatnot. :)

I've actually only gotten a few pages into the book again. I've been wait too busy. I suppose the movie (or show?) will probably be what draws me into the story. :hmm: I just thought this story had an interesting writing style I haven't seen a lot, so its pretty neat to me. :p

Battle Royale? I've never read it (or seen it, if its a movie)...is it any good? I'm also not sure if you mean the Coraline I think you mean. xD

Battle Royale? I've never read it (or seen it, if its a movie)...is it any good? I'm also not sure if you mean the Coraline I think you mean. xD
Battle Royale is made of awesome. It's originally a Japanese book, but it was translated into English. It takes place in an alternate future where Japan is ruled by a dictator. Every year, a single class of middle schoolers is forced to go to a remote site and kill each other until one student remains.

I recommend it. :britt:

Oh deary, that does sound very similar...I shall read it then! I will keep reading The Hunger Games though, of course, because it caught my attention. Though I heard it gets really terrible after the second book?

Back