Nintendo The DSI...

AmethystRoses

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I am sorry if there has already been a thread made, as I assume there may be, but I honestly could not find it.

What do you think of the DSI? Do you think that it may be Nintendo's attempt to stamp out the PSP entirely? For me, it is going to. I BARELY cared about my PSP as it is. The only reason I bought it was so I could play the Final Fantasy remakes, Crisis Core, Tactics, the Star Ocean games, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII when it is released. Oh, and Birth By Sleep and Coded (?).

I think that Nintendo did not need to attempt to crush Sony in the handheld market, seeing as how DS sales sore at 30,000 more than the PSP monthly... or yearly.. I cannot remember the EXACT statistic.

Anyway... opinions on the DSI, it's $180 price tag, and the effects it could have on Sony (Who recently cancelled the PSP 4 GB 3000 bundle).

I'd put The 3rd Birthday on that PSP list as I think Parasite Eve is a series that deserves more attention, but...as for the DSi...I think it's just the new incarnation of the DS. Not a big step graphically or anything. Not a terribly important buy if you have a previous version unless you're incredibly attracted to the new add-ons, but then again, I haven't really looked into the DSi as much as I maybe should *shrugs*...The DS has already proven itself to me and it's continuing to dominate the handheld market in 3rd party RPGs (much less just games in general, but Ninny itself is also giving quite a lot to it's lil dual screened guy).

I don't think it's anything special at all. Im happy with my DS and its GBA slot thanks, isnt the only difference that i has a camera on it...and maybe something else, I can't remember...nothing that immediately took my fancy anyway. Only reason Id consider getting one is if my DS died and I couldnt find a lite anywhere.

I already prefer my DS to my PSP anyway, handsdown the DS is just ...better, so the DSi IMO is pretty pointless......

Hmmm I actually do not plan on getting a dsi because its not that different to the ds lite so I think I will keep my ds lite or might get a dsi but am not really sure because there is like no difference except dsi has a little more things. What are the differences? No gba slot?

The DSi also has an SD slot on it for storing photos, music and software as well but this is at the cost of the GBA slot so you lose both the backwards capability as well as the ability to play some games like Guitar Hero. The screen is bigger as well. There a few other things but can't be bothered looking them up, the changes already mentioned are the biggest things that come to me.

Nintendo aren't strangers to revising their handhelds, we had 3 versions of the GBA and 2 versions of the original to my knowledge and now 3 for the DS. The DSi would have been a decent purchase for me but the lack of a GBA slot puts me off personally. That's kind of one of my favourite things about the DS.

When I first found out about it while reading an issue of Nintendo Power, I planned on getting it sometime, but I was mainly going to get it for the built in Internet Browser, but when I read an article on IGN saying that surfing the web on it is pure torture, I officially decided against getting one. :/

I don't think it's enough of an improvement to pay about $200 for after tax, so I'm happy with my regular ol' Nintendo DS, over these Lite and DSi models, which, progressively, get smaller each time until now this lately one couldn't even fit having a GBA slot in it. :P

I posted something about the DSi, my feelings, what I've heard about it, and it's crappy internet issues, in other thread about a person getting a wii or a DS. I hate the thought of it, waste of money for a serious gamer I think, however, for someone who has only just got into gaming, and has no experience with GBA titles, then, it's not really going to bother them I think. Unless in the future they want to experience GBA goodness...

I don't see why we need the internet, a camera, and other media bits on a games console. You can make a damn good games console without all this media stuff I think. As long as extra additions are solely for gaming purposes, then I guess it'd be alright. :gasp:

I posted something about the DSi, my feelings, what I've heard about it, and it's crappy internet issues, in other thread about a person getting a wii or a DS. I hate the thought of it, waste of money for a serious gamer I think, however, for someone who has only just got into gaming, and has no experience with GBA titles, then, it's not really going to bother them I think. Unless in the future they want to experience GBA goodness...

I don't see why we need the internet, a camera, and other media bits on a games console. You can make a damn good games console without all this media stuff I think. As long as extra additions are solely for gaming purposes, then I guess it'd be alright. :gasp:

In my opinion it would be better just to go out and buy a GBA used. For like, what, forty dollars?

I don't really understand why Nintendo felt the need to add cameras, SD card slot and what not. These days most have cell phones that already does these things way better than the DSi, so including those features at the expense of GBA compability seems a bit silly. Being able to download content does sound pretty cool, but it's probably better saved for the next generation of handhelds. The current selection of DSiWare games look rather meagre and low quality for something you have to pay for.

I do think that it has some redeeming features as well though. I mean, who wouldn't want better and bigger screens, better speakers, and a slimmer design?

When I heard that it'll have a camera, the ever hopeful FF7 fan in me immediately thought "maybe they'll port Before Crisis onto this???" :gasp:

of course, since that it's been said by Nintendo they don't plan to release any DSi exclusive titles, there really no point in investing in this if you already have a DS or a DSlite. In fact, the previous two are more worth it since they come with the option of playing anything from the GBA library.

I'm thinking that the features of the DSi (slightly improved graphics, internet browser, media storage, camera) were just added in order to sway people of the PSP market (who dont own DSes) to buy a DS. I always found these additional features to be the sort of thing one would typically associate with Sony, actually. I always found Sony to be the more media focussed company, while Nintendo was always the one to try innovative new methods to gaming. It seems like with the DSi Nintendo has given the Sony method of console making a try.

Back