Staff member
Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Chocobo Egg
Shiva Snowflake
Games aren't just strictly virtual! There's an entire world out there just full of different tabletop/board games! And no, I'm not just talking about common games like Sorry or Candy Land (I don't judge your difficulty levels, ok!)

So, is anyone into or interested (or not interested) in getting into this type of gaming? D&D is just one of the major ones I know of, but there's also Settlers of Catan and Risk that I can name. Of course if you do enjoy yourself a great friendship-ending game of Monopoly that counts as well too :whistle2: ;)

---
I personally don't know much about the tabletop games & the community other than it is vast. And expensive. My husband has become involved with a nice group of people that are really into the tabletop community & just recently won a copy of Tiny Epic Mechs that should be arriving in the mail soon.

For me... tabletop games are a bit of a challenge. I like going in just being able to mash buttons and figure the game out as I go along. These types of games you have to sit and read the rules. I know it sounds kinda lame but dedicating an hour or two (or more!) just stopping every 5~ minutes to consult the rules is just a huge pain for me. I like to support my husband though and try and play a few. My favorites that I can recall off the top of my head are Pandemic, Forbidden Island & Boss Monster. We also picked up a starter set for D&D but we haven't played much with it. I'd love to hear from anyone who is into it though!

Additionally... if Pokemon counts, I was really into the card game when we were kids. I didn't participate in any tournaments but my brother did and I have vivid memories of it. Collected a lot of cards and had fun just having Pokemon battles with my siblings. I wasn't into any other card games though!

Here's a short list of what we own:
Pandemic
Forbidden Island
Boss Monster
Battlelore
Clank!
Hero Realms
Lord of the Rings: LCG
Star Realms
Codenames
Dark Souls The Card Game

--

Anyway, would love to hear from you guys even if you aren't interested or just have a funny relevant story to share. :)

I used to have a group of friends who would visit me and we'd hang out and play games.

We used to play Munchkin, Fluxx, Pandemic, Call of Cthulhu, and a good number of other games. We tried D&D a number of times, but we actually had a lot of fun with a game called Fiasco (another game where you can craft your characters and help each other tell a story). I didn't take Fiasco very seriously, but I had a lot of fun with it. I had an evil space tiger alien character and I can't even remember why!

I searched for the Fiasco space tiger and found a drawing I drew. Apparently I'd called the main space tiger 'Dionysus'... Pretty funny as I hadn't landed on my username at that time!
Dionysus Space Tiger.jpg

Unfortunately my closest friend (the one who really acted as the gel keeping the group together) died. He left me all of his games, but herding my other friends together since his death has been difficult (we've also gotten older and such - I only see them very infrequently now and usually only one or two at a time). Currently the games are under my bed waiting to be reopened. Part of me can't face it, but the other part of me would like to one day.

Someone also bought me Chocobo's Crystal Hunt this year and I really would like to play it to see what it is like.

Last edited:
My group likes to play a lot of the games you mention. I struggle, because our glorious leader likes shorter games, but I like Twilight Imperium, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, Shogun, Firefly: The Board Game, and Rialto.

I've always been into tabletop games because I grew up playing them. I have a lot of cousins, so for every family get-together, we would form a big group and entertain ourselves with card games or board games.

Card games were probably the most common thing that we played (it was easier to add decks to involve more players). We would play a Latin American game called Carioca (it's kind of like Rummi, but you want the lowest points), and other games like Spoons, and Cheat. Things could get pretty intense sometimes though!

For board games, it was more things like Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, or Pictionary.

I would also get together with a group when I was studying at uni to play other sorts of board games like Wonders, Robo Rally, and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.

There are a few games I have myself based on games/anime I like, but I haven't really been able to play them a lot ^^; I have Chocobo's Crystal Hunt, RWBY: Combat Ready, and a My Hero Academia Card Game.

Back