Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - General Discussion

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Vivi
With the latest TGS Trailer I thought I'd make a general thread for the upcoming game:
So we have a release date! March 18 2022... That's not that far really!

While the previous demo did not give me the best impressions this trailer looks a lot more diverse, especially in tone with the environments. Also the inclusion of a new female lead character is appealing. Apparently there is a 2nd Demo being released today, so look forward to trying that out tonight. While I'm not keen on the difficulty and grind of the previous game at least the game still features a decent amount of story... so it seems anyway. I still don't know if this will be a Day One Purchase but it's something I will certainly play within the next year or so.

Stranger of Paradise Announcement Thread

Last edited:
The Demo is up along with the PlayStation Digital Listings...

Digital Deluxe Edition Product Contents (£84.99):
• STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN (main game)
• Season Pass (includes additional missions: ""Trials of the Dragon King,"" ""Wanderer of the Rift"" and ""DIFFERENT FUTURE"")
• Digital art book
• Digital mini soundtrack

Oh no.... A Season Pass... Well that's put the game on the back burner for another year...

Seems here in the UK we're getting an exclusive steelbook with GAME:
1633204556170.png

Last edited:
I'm still so confused about what this game actually is haha. The story hints are obvious enough, but the promotions so far are puzzling.

In any case, it's releasing on my birthday, so maybe this will end up being a gift from Square Enix. :p

Been a busy bee, so I've yet to try out the second demo. Nor will I likely recall what has changed since the first demo, though word on the grapevine told me the awkward and clunky magic wheel had been left intact.

Kazushige Nojima wants to tell a serious story, but everything is undermined by the sheer comedic brilliance of this game's delivery. Almost every cutscene I have witnessed so far is so thickly laden with unintentional(?) humour that I am genuinely looking forward to this for that reason alone.

Let us look at this prime example of this remarkable dissonance between Neon's earnest nonsense that sounds straight like something out of Kingdom Hearts and Jack's legendary response to her life story. He curtly calls her tale bullshit, does not elaborate, whips out his smartphone and plays something that sounds like Limp Bizkit all the way outside, with Neon and his other buddies just following behind him with nary a word.

This is art and I am all here for it.

I must note the latest Japanese trailer for the game has copious mentions of CHAOS. Everything is Chaos apparently, including the game's equivalent of the Four Fiends. But there is not a single utterance of the word in the English version trailer. The marketing team realised it had become a meme and instead of leaning on it, sought desperately to hide it, only for the game to conjure up a new meme in its stead. Genius.

Some meme-free news.

We have our first glimpses at some new characters.

The first is a fifth (yes, fifth!) new party member. A woman called Sophia.

FGfn_oGWQAYUN8D

FGfn_sVXEAYAzpu

Final Fantasy really likes its Krysten Ritter lookalikes these days.

Sophia means 'Wisdom' in Greek, so methinks she'll be wise in some capacity. Whether she'll relate to the Warring Triad goddess of the same name in FFVI and FFXIV lore remains to be seen.

The second character to be revealed will be a familiar character to people acquainted with FFI, but perhaps not a familiar face. Astos the Dark Elf is returning, but he has undergone a makeover to make him look significantly less monstrous and mischievous (although it could be a disguise). A more nuanced character, perhaps? The character description implies as much, since he is apparently helping Jack and friends find the crystals. For how long, though?

FGf43IUWUAAu77C

FGf43IeX0AIwalG

Looks like they are hot on showing off character renders right now!

Meet Tiamat as you've never seen her before!

FGf4-HYWYA4vEEc

FGf4-HaXwAg2OZV

She looks a bit Anima-esque, but I quite like it. The colour scheme and texture suits her Mesopotamian namesake as a primordial sea goddess. I wonder if the human part of her body might get separated from the serpent part, which could correspond with the mythical Tiamat's body being torn apart to create the heavens and earth. We'll have to see though.

New cover art on Amazon?
View attachment 11697
Looks a bit messy if I am honest...

It looks like a PS2-era box to me. It is strange, but it sort of fits the meme-level quality that this game might be intentionally going for. :D

In a way, it does also look like the images have been arranged to form the silhouette of Amano's classic Warrior of Light artwork (sideways view with the horns sticking up).

Anybody playing Stranger of Paradise yet?

What do you think of It? Enjoying the combat? The story?

It is very unique in terms of Final Fantasy. I am liking it on the whole, but for very different reasons than I usually enjoy FF games. It has cheesy dialogue but is self-aware and hilarious, and some of the ideas are genuinely interesting.

It is very unique in terms of Final Fantasy. I am liking it on the whole, but for very different reasons than I usually enjoy FF games. It has cheesy dialogue but is self-aware and hilarious, and some of the ideas are genuinely interesting.
Been trying to, but the PC port is absolute hot garbage. Uses max resources and spits out 4fps, unplayable stuttering. Really, really want to play but SE needs to push a fix patch out ASAP. Lots of complaints and 'work arounds' that don't work out there.

Been trying to, but the PC port is absolute hot garbage. Uses max resources and spits out 4fps, unplayable stuttering. Really, really want to play but SE needs to push a fix patch out ASAP. Lots of complaints and 'work arounds' that don't work out there.

This does not sound good. I hadn't even realised they'd already released the game on PC because SE have a reputation with their recent FF games of releasing on console a good while before the PC version.

I hope it gets patched and that you can play it soon!

I finished this game days ago after 26 hours of gameplay! Score 7 for me

Favourite party: Jack (SAMURAI/NiNJA), Sophia (DRAGOON), Neon (RED MAGE)

I liked Boss Battles, Ost from old FF and classes

I didn't expect Jack to become GARLAND at the end like Anakin consumed by the persona of Darth Vader in Star Wars saga !

Brilliant plot Twist!

I've played this game for a bit. I think the combat is quite addicting (even though I suck at it) and the amount of jobs we have to explore gives it a bit of depth. I like the way you acquire jobs too, literally picks up a weapon and decides to give it an 'aul go :lew:

I'm so far ambivalent about the characters and the bit of storyline I've completed. The story feels a bit disconnected and I have so many questions right out of the gate. The dialogue is cheesy as hell though, completely agree there, and it goes a long way in making you overlook a lot about the story in general.
When I've finished the game I'll have to come back and see if I still agree with myself here....

Late July is not a good time for me. Too...chaotic. Sorry, Jack!

I'll likely dip into the DLC when the entire three-part package is out. I'll need a refresher run through the game first before I tackle these, as I've likely already forgotten how to play the game.

Bahamut here taking a page out of FFXV's incarnation of the character with the floating sword wings.

I still haven't played the first DLC, but apparently there is a second DLC featuring Gilgamesh!

I'm fascinated to see how they'll work Gilgamesh in, considering the game's self-conscious links to a multiverse, etc.

Back