Square Enix to limit your FF XIV playtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Kenneth

You're f**king out!
Veteran
Gil
Unfortunately you didn't misread the title.

Final Fantasy XIV will apparently feature a fatigue system which means that on each character and class you will have be able to play for 8 hours per week after which the experience you gain from playing will start to decrease. It will continue to decrease until you reach 16 hours, after which you will no longer get any experience. Whatever caused them to decide on this insanity is anybody's guess, but you would hope that they see sense before the release and get rid of this nonsense.

Source: http://www.massively.com/2010/08/25/final-fantasy-xiv-fatigue-format-fully-put-forward/

I kinda just want to laugh as im never ever gunna play this game anyway but its an abslutely ridiculous idea. Theres no way its to stop people gaming as much, seems like its a good way of prolonging the game. Although.......16 hours is a shitload of time, anyone playing that much perweek has too much time on their hands.

I think I read somewhere else that the time gets recharges when you are offline. The week thing apparently just means that it recharges completely at the end of the week regardless of whether you are offline or not, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

I'm a bit unsure about this system. On the one hand it's unhealthy to play any game 8 hours straight (even though a lot of people do it). So I guess the 8 hour limit thing may be some sort of ethical policy they may have? On the other hand I don't think it should be up to Square Enix to decide how much we can play.

Either way I don't think it would really affect me because A) I don't know if I'll get it and B) If I do get it, I'll try to avoid playing for 8 straight hours anyway.

Last edited:
This has been already adressed here - http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/final-fantasy-xiv/one-hour-of-exp-per-day-limit-42566.html

:awesome:
Yeah its 8 hours str8 combat, so not npc'ing etc.. pure combat.8 hours might be more then enough cause no one combats 8 hours str8. that would be pure grinding like a bot/..

Plus I believe switching to another weapon resets it :P
If they implent this they should show us a timer so we can watch tabs etc,, keep an eye on it.

If the decide to reset the timer when we go offline then there is no problem at all :D
Then I would like this idea, but we will see....

...WHAT.

That is just plain stupid. Its not uncommon for me to spend 10+ hours on a single game over the weekend if I get hooked on it, and I know there are a lot of other people out there who spend a lot more time on games than I do.

Subscription fees, I can sort of understand - every MMORPG has them. But limiting my playing time as well? Its not worth the money, really. I don't see why I should pay for a game on a regular basis just for 8 hours of proper playtime when I can pay for almost any other game once and play it for as long as I like.

It looks like I won't be buying this game.

Last edited:
This has been already adressed here - http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/final-fantasy-xiv/one-hour-of-exp-per-day-limit-42566.html

:awesome:
Yeah its 8 hours str8 combat, so not npc'ing etc.. pure combat.8 hours might be more then enough cause no one combats 8 hours str8. that would be pure grinding like a bot/..

Plus I believe switching to another weapon resets it :P
If they implent this they should show us a timer so we can watch tabs etc,, keep an eye on it.

If the decide to reset the timer when we go offline then there is no problem at all :D
Then I would like this idea, but we will see....

Didn't see that thread actually, but regardless I still think it's worth having a thread here where people are noticing it. Thanks for making aware of and linking to the other thread though. It's got some good sources in it.

The way massively.com describes it, it would seem that it's not 8 hours straight, but just plain 8 hours in any given week. I've had a look around though and it does not seem as if all the different news sources agree exactly what the new fatigue system will mean, so they may be wrong.

Either way, I don't think it's any of Square Enix' business how you decide to play the game. If you want to level a combat profession for 8 hours or more 1 week, that's your choice and you shouldn't be penalized for it.

Yet another reason not to play this game. I'm not exactly sure what they hope to accomplish with this system. Is it a tighter control over the servers? or are they trying to be considerate to our out-of-game lives? I highly doubt it's the latter. I didn't even bother reading the article, this is unheard of. It's my damn money and my damn time. The fact that they implemented this idea to this game in particular isn't what irritates me. I have no plans on playing it at all. It's the mere fact that they're actually going with it. If this somehow benefits the developers in some unforeseen way, then surely other developers would borrow this mechanic for their own games. And God help Bioware if they used a similar tactic in The Old Republic.

Yeah I forgot about the damn weekly bases...
When I used to play MMorpg's this was my way of playing:

6 hours a day
2 hours = combat (str8)
1 hour = Talking/trolling/bullying etc..
3 hours = Quest ... so thats fighting as well...

between here and there talking and resting/irl eating../buying pots and mp pots..

Shit 8 hours a week for one skill/weapon is nothing.....
After work I am home 5 o clock, I would start the game immediately..
I would play till 11 o clock, that is 6 hours of gaming

At least 4-5 hours would be spend on grinding.. damn :O I could not play with the same skill or weapon, only for 2 days...since after 8 hours the damn exp reduces...

Upon further analising yes,,this is not nice from SE :(

Well that could really hurt the game. They are not going to get a lot of hard core MMO players to play considering that many of them spend 100+ hours a week on their game.

I don't know if I plan to play it or not. But if I did, this wouldn't affect me too much because I don't want to play another MMO the way I played WOW back in the day. (I played WAY to much)

It sounds like this was implemented to benefit the players that aren't going to dedicate that many hours a week on a single game. It wouldn't surprise me. SE has been taking several steps in the development of this game to appeal to the more "casual" gamers who wouldn't have as much time on their hands to invest on.

Personally I think 8-16 hours a week on a single game is a little excessive for me, but I understand why many people would be angry. I can hardly see why you would need this system and hopefully SE will feel the sting from this. If players want to spend say, 50 hrs plus per week developing their characters, then let them do so.

I'm not really planning on playing this anyway.
Square Enix, man! And also, I didn't really like XI at all. Aaand yeah, this sounds wrong to me.

Although.......16 hours is a shitload of time, anyone playing that much perweek has too much time on their hands.

I'm not sure about that. 16 hours could be about two hours per night, with a few extra hours on the weekend. That's more than I'd want to spend on a game like this, but I think for people who want to achieve anything on it (and they choose to play this game instead of other things), then it is about this amount of time that they will have to spend.

I can see what they were going for with this, and 8-16 hours would seem a lot of time. But looking into it it really isn't much time at all. That said, even if the numbers were higher I don't think that it is right to tell people how often they are allowed to do what they want to do in the game, even though the intentions behind it are good.

It's not just combat, it's any sort of EXP and skill point earning. The threshold is more of a problem though than the time is, say the EXP threshold is 10,000EXP per hour, a casual gamer might need that whole hour whereas a hardcore player may need say, 20 minutes. I could see a problem though if you get to later stages in the game and monsters get tougher, thus give more EXP making you hit the threshold quicker before you start to get decreased values of EXP.

I have heard that switching classes makes the fatigue for skill points set back to 0 as long as you're using a different class, I'm not an MMORPG player but I've always been led to understand that skill points > EXP?

Last edited:
I doubt SE care about how long you play a game for. There are lots of things we shouldn't do but it's up to you to find a balance and be sensible about it.
I can see why they might use this system though. In a way, it stunts the growth of intense gamers so there's better balance between everyone. Also, it's a bit like revising. Do it too long and you're going to stop taking anything in so it might just be a realistic aspect they wanted to add.

It's still a stupid idea though. You have to pay to play the game (IIRC) so some of that time you've paid for can't be used to build your characters. Pleasing intense MMO gamers, who are going to be there in the long run, should surely be their priority.

Players earn XP at 100% for the first 8 hours.
For 7 hours over this limit the XP received decreases to 0%.
The time limit for the playtime counter to reset is 1 week.
The XP gain limit is not tied to any class/job but is per character.
Drops and loot are not affected by the XP “fatigue.”​

I thought if you'd change classes it would also reset but thats not the case... this SUCKS ASS !!!!! I could play 2 days and my xp would be depleted by that time..so what could I possible do the rest of the week...except wasting my time,,im not paying for this...

It's gonna lower the gap between hardcore players and casual players.
I don't like that. =/

"hardcore player" is just another word for "fatass butt-ugly zit-faced virgin", don't feel too bad. :neomon:

It's a dumb idea, but I'm not really complaining. I've given up on the MMO community.

If you want to know what it's like to have a bad job and have nothing to do with your time, you play an MMO. Where you pay someone to make you work.

It's completely ironic. :neomon:

I kinda just want to laugh as im never ever gunna play this game anyway but its an abslutely ridiculous idea. Theres no way its to stop people gaming as much, seems like its a good way of prolonging the game. Although.......16 hours is a shitload of time, anyone playing that much perweek has too much time on their hands.
Pretty much this.

I can't believe they expect people to do this. I couldn't even play a few hours of a video game, especially an RPG game. Now, an action shooter like Call of Duty, Halo, etc I can do. But an RPG...insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back