Slamming doors...is it rude?

Gil
I don't understand why people slam doors. If the door will not close unless it is closed hard, that is one thing, but I've known people who can't seem to close a door (to a house, a refrigerator, ANYTHING) without making a giantly loud ruckus.

Do you know a door-slammer? Do you consider it rude behavior? Do you just accept it as one of life's little peculiarities?

Expound.

Slamming doors on a regular basis? I guess I can remember my parents always yelling at us for doing this, but I don't recall ever finding it an annoying habit of anyone. I think when people do it when they're mad about something is really obnoxious and rude though, especially if they're not in their own home. Usually those are the same people who want the entire room to be mad with them and not joking around - and I find that kind of annoying too. You can be mad all you want, but it's not fair to others who just happen to be present in the room. Don't take it out on Aunt Becky's house, dude!

I think I tend to slam the doors to the outside of our home, like the front door and the connecting garage door to the inside of the house. I think it's more of a security thing though, ensuring that it did indeed completely shut behind me. Of my three cats I have one that will, without a doubt, escape. I haven't micro-chipped her yet and it's a bit of a concern if she gets out because I think someone would just take her in without a second thought. Even if the door made a slight sound it's still possible it didn't completely latch, and I like knowing it's shut as I'm walking out for whatever reason.

Anyway, I guess there's always an exception for various reasons but I can see why it would be perceived as rude. I don't know many people who slam doors regularly but I'm sure they're out there. D:

I think I tend to slam the doors to the outside of our home, like the front door and the connecting garage door to the inside of the house. I think it's more of a security thing though, ensuring that it did indeed completely shut behind me.

1. Close the door slowly and carefully.
2. Try to push the door open without turning the knob.
3. If the door pushes open, return to step #1.

I don't consider slamming a door to 'make sure it gets closed' appropriate at all. Not only will it damage the door frame over time, but (and I guess I should have said this) years of recording and playing music have made my ears very sensitive. Noise is distracting and disturbing to people like me.

If I slam the door it has been by accident or because I forget my own strength and misjudge things. It is a by-product of my general clumsiness, probably.

If people are deliberately slamming doors knowing other people are about and can hear it, yeah I can see how that can be considered rude. As you say, it also isn't very good for the frame (if a doorway) or the item the door is attached to (if a fridge etc).

But I can't say that this is a recurring issue for me when it comes to people slamming a door within my vicinity. I don't know many 'door-slammers' at the moment.

I'm not a really door slammer, and thinking about it that's probably because I spent a lot of time living in a rented house growing up. So we had to keep the house in good condition because it wasn't ours.

Secondly, my dad also hated it when people slammed his car door. So I've always been very cautious when people offer me a lift and I get out of the car.

I guess, if they are your things, and it's your house, then if you want to slam doors that's your business (as long as you are not bothering anyone else). But if they are not your things, then I wouldn't like that. You should treat other people's things with better care than that.

Generally speaking, in my experience, it's a form of frustration and/or aggression. If someone's pissed off, they'd storm off and slam a few doors on their way out or whatever. I get sometimes it's accidental, like if there's a draft passing through the house, or if the kids are overexcited. But yeah, if doors are getting slammed in our house, it's usually because someone's angry haha.

Generally speaking, in my experience, it's a form of frustration and/or aggression. If someone's pissed off, they'd storm off and slam a few doors on their way out or whatever. I get sometimes it's accidental, like if there's a draft passing through the house, or if the kids are overexcited. But yeah, if doors are getting slammed in our house, it's usually because someone's angry haha.

Hm, yeah, don't see it as rude. It's more like they are venting and they are taking to take out some anger and frustration out on the door. Some people choose to scream into a pillow, some choose to smack a wall, some choose to listen to heavy death metal music, and some choose to slam a door.

I'd say its kinda rude if it's not your door. But I try not to judge cause I know I do it. My wife has joked that I'd make a horrible ninja. It's definitely not intentional unless I'm upset.

I used to work at this warehouse and I'd sometimes get rides and one guy joked about me slamming the car door. I guess it got me back cause I did Lyft for a couple of months and when people got out they'd slam my car door like 70% of the time and I'd remember that conversation and think "so that's what it feels like."

I mean...I think I was a good Lyft driver. Don't punish me car, please. Its fragile enough.

Back