Bomb
Black Mage
Terra
Cloud Strife
FFXIV
Shu
FFXIV Server
Lamia
We all know the tobacco industry took a relatively large hit when vaping came to the forefront. We also know that vaping is just another diagonal for tobacco users that basically get people out of insurance oddities.

Though let's be real, does it do away with the real issue here? Is vaping the same thing as smoking? Is vaping bad as they make it out to be? I'll respond once there has been a little banter.

I believe Vaping should be treated like smoking. If you inhale smoke into your lungs you are still harming your body. I think that vaping can cause the same medical problems as smoking.

(Former Smoker, Quit 2008)

Vaping doesn't cause the same harm as cigarettes in terms of long term lung damage. However, in my experience, most people I know who vape use that as an excuse to always be vaping. They act like it's more healthy. But when you're vaping that much (and most people go for the highest nicotine juice they can find), they're consuming far too much nicotine. That can be extremely unhealthy, particularly for mood/emotion management. I don't think it should be illegal. But I think we should do a better job of teaching people to be responsible with such substances.

Just because e-cigarettes/vaping has fewer carcinogens in it doesn't make it any less harmful.

Quite honestly it's a little infuriating (as a non smoker, I've never touched a cigarette in my life, not even to "try") people focus so much on smoking being damaging whereas people who drink themselves nuts are harmful while being around in public and maybe even getting behind the wheel completely drunk.

Addictive, sure, but I don't really consider it a drug. Illegal, I mean... I guess not. If you want to do that to yourself, it's ultimately their choice isn't it.

I agree that it is the choice of the user. It is the same as cigarettes, the smoker made a choice. I truly think the same LAWS should apply to e-cigarettes as with cigarettes. Maybe the 2nd hand smoke from e-cigarettes is not as harmful as cigarettes, but there are still people with respiratory problems that the smoke will interfere with. Better be safe than sorry.

Also, I feel that most people (not all) that smoke cigarettes are mindful of others, but vampers do not care about people around them. I have the same reaction to vamp smoke as I do to cigarette smoke. Even as a previous smoker the reaction is not good.

I'm with the popular opinion here in saying, sure it should definitely be made illegal. There are many vape free zones through Europe now and I believe it should also be a must here in the states. Most people I know have upped their nicotine intake by like 30-40% since they have been on vapes. They went from smoking a half a pack to a pack to doing a vape the equivalent of two - three packs a day.

I was a bit dismayed when I went to my buddy's wedding and pretty much all college friends had switched to vaping. I'm not going to lie, I had to try a vape with just nicotine, because yes I did smoke a little back in college. Though this was like a bullet to the chest.

I believe nicotine withdrawals would be unreal on a vape. I would be a jittery mess and be mad at each and every person from the withdrawal. I haven't smoked in... 3 years? Thank goodness I came away from all that mess.

From my understanding, there's two reasons why cigarettes are harmful:
1. The nicotine / tar / other chemicals, some of which are carcinogens
2. The act of inhaling anything at all that is not oxygen

In terms of #1 , vaping is less harmful insofar as it eliminates most of the harmful chemicals (though still leaving the nicotine). However, in terms of #2 , it is still harmful. Of course, the harmful effects of #2 are far less than the harmful effects of #1 , so if someone were to vape completely nicotine-free juice, then the harmful effects would be rather limited.

It is also true that the smoke exhaled from vaping not only smells better, but it also evaporates quickly (doesn't linger like cigarette smoke) and doesn't stain your fingers, teeth or clothes like smoking a cigarette does. While there isn't a scientific consensus on whether second hand smoke truly is harmful, if we want to be extra careful and assume that it is, then the second hand smoke from vaping is also pretty much harmless.

All of that being said, if you vape enough to compare to 40 or 60 cigs a day, you are still doing active damage to your lungs by forcing them to process something that they were not designed to process, you just aren't generating globs of black tar inside your lungs.

In conclusion; for someone with a nicotine addiction, vaping is a vastly superior solution to other methods of quitting smoking. Furthermore, if the person actually enjoys the activity of smoking, as some do, then vaping is also a much better alternative. I would also wish for governments to not regulate vaping in the same way smoking is regulated; regulate the juice used in vapes, not the vapes themselves. Regulating the vapes themselves will only restore the "forbidden fruit" aspect which to this day draws kids towards smoking because it's something cool that adults do.

Personally, I think Vaping should be illegal simply for the amount of tossers I've encountered who do it; If someone is an arrogant tech bro, 8/10 times they vape- and vape hard with super nerdy mods, annoyingly tasty-smelling liquids and the ability to rip a fat vape which covers the conversation(and my face) in vapour. It's basically a symbol which shouts "I own a Fleshlight and am proud of that fact". :wacky:

Okay, Snark aside, I don't think it should be illegal. Now, the fact that one could potentially cram more Nicotine into a particular vape liquid than exist in a single packet of ciggies is a scary idea, but at the end of the day it's not the worst thing someone could be putting into their bodies.

I'm pretty much pro-legalising most hard drugs because of quality control and treatment reasons. Compared to that, my opinion on vaping is laughable. Of course it should be legal. But- depending on the health effects- it should be treated the same as cigarettes(here in Ireland) with packaging which explicitly displays what it can do to the body.

Also; vapers should also have to smoke outside like the rest. I know it's pretty much touted as one of the Vape-perks, but honestly anyone who exhales processed shite into the air should have to do it outside.

Insofar as is practical, I think that it should encouraged to have the air in public spaces to be as clean and as healthy as possible. People shouldn't have to breathe in second hand odor laden juice fumes, which, regardless of the highly debated health impact that may or may not be prevalent, could still be considered as offensive and invasive of bodily space.

A while back I was going out with a guy who would happily vape inside the shopping centre where we were working. Vaping produces way more fumes (in volume) than cigarettes do smoke and I would feel so appalled and embarrassed seeing people, especially children, walking through the haze he left behind in his wake. I don't know, it just felt wrong to me. Of course when I called him out for it, the usual thing of "they're not harmful", "it's not like I'm smoking", "sure it's grand" would be the reply to it, which in essence wasn't the point being made exactly. There is such thing as manners, you shouldn't throw rubbish on the street, it's only courteous to not impede people through doorways and try not to breathe down people's necks while standing in public transport - catch my drift? We should try to respect the people around us regardless of the choices we make for ourselves, and this is the crux of the matter in my view regarding vaping.

Like was said previously here, the same laws should apply to e-cigarettes as do the original cigarettes, if for no other reason than for the sake of politeness. I mean seriously, if someone blew on your face even without cigarette smoke or juicy fumes being present, that would still be pretty darn weird. So why the hell would anyone want to walk through fumes that a complete stranger just exhaled, it's kinda gross.

Should 'vaping' be illegal? No it shouldn't. Why should it be? Because it releases stuff in the air? Vehicles emit chemicals, should we outlaw them as well?
We have plenty of places that don't allow you to vape and that's perfectly fine and I understand. Stores and restaurants are the 2 main ones that come to mind.
But to make it illegal?

Vehicles emit chemicals, should we outlaw them as well?

Vehicles ARE held to certain emission standards though. Maybe vapes should be too, once more studies have been carried out.
e-cigs were *originally* used to help people quit smoking; the thought of banning such things because people have been using it recreationally seems odd to me. My old man used to smoke 40 a day, atleast. Now he's down to 0% nicotine on a vape, but he enjoys doing it because he's smoked for 30+ years. We don't know yet what the health risks of vaping are, not fully atleast, but surely it's better than smoking. Banning vapes because some fuck boys vape inside or near kids doesn't seem logical. Regulation is the answer in my opinion. Wanna vape? Go to a vaping/smoking area. My job doesn't let people vape on the premises, but has a designated area outside with cover from the element.

The 'phase' of vaping being cool will pass and it'll go back to being a tool, I hope.

Vehicles ARE held to certain emission standards though. Maybe vapes should be too, once more studies have been carried out.
e-cigs were *originally* used to help people quit smoking; the thought of banning such things because people have been using it recreationally seems odd to me. My old man used to smoke 40 a day, atleast. Now he's down to 0% nicotine on a vape, but he enjoys doing it because he's smoked for 30+ years. We don't know yet what the health risks of vaping are, not fully atleast, but surely it's better than smoking. Banning vapes because some fuck boys vape inside or near kids doesn't seem logical. Regulation is the answer in my opinion. Wanna vape? Go to a vaping/smoking area. My job doesn't let people vape on the premises, but has a designated area outside with cover from the element.

The 'phase' of vaping being cool will pass and it'll go back to being a tool, I hope.

No I agree completely on regulating it. That's how smoking regular cigarettes are, so vape should be treated no differently. But to say it should be outright banned is ridiculous.

Back