Rumor: Final Fantasy XIV draws a $26 million ragequit [10/15]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
ffxiv-ragequit-epl-1013.jpg

You may or may not be one of the people unhappy with Final Fantasy XIV in its current state. Certainly the game has both drawn its fair share of ire and praise, and it's hard to picture a launch with more strongly divided opinions. But even if you hate everything the game turned out to be, you have to admit that you can't make quite the spectacle that one unnamed Japanese player did -- a rage-fueled quit that involved selling off $26 million worth of Square-Enix stock as a parting gesture.

Square-Enix experienced a definite dip in stock value on the 7th, dropping from 1800 yen a share to 1735 a share before recovering later in the day. According to Japanese sources, this was preceded by a rather angry dispatch from a shareholder explaining that he was so disgusted by Final Fantasy XIV he no longer wanted any of the stock. While there is some debate as to the chain of events and their veracity, it would certainly make this event the ultimate response to the question of "can I have your stuff?"

Source: Massively

:lew: He certainly put his money where his mouth is. I'm curious to see what kind of subscription numbers Final Fantasy XIV will have a couple of months down the line. Age of Conan was, if anything, a stellar example of that paying costumers will take their business elsewhere if an MMO doesn't deliver from day 1.

lol, if this is true...that's one helluva large gesture. Put his money where his mouth did indeed :lew:

I wonder who the person is, especially if they had that much invested in S-E.

Hahaha XDD I have to say, that's one of the weirdest responses I've ever seen, but it's better than a silent protest, I guess. Good for him. :wacky:

Certainly the game has both drawn its fair share of ire and praise, and it's hard to picture a launch with more strongly divided opinions.
Oh, are we just ignoring FFXIII entirely now? :awesome:
Square-Enix experienced a definite dip in stock value on the 7th, dropping from 1800 yen a share to 1735 a share before recovering later in the day. According to Japanese sources, this was preceded by a rather angry dispatch from a shareholder explaining that he was so disgusted by Final Fantasy XIV he no longer wanted any of the stock. While there is some debate as to the chain of events and their veracity, it would certainly make this event the ultimate response to the question of "can I have your stuff?"​
...this just totally made my night. Now, THIS is a proper response to poor games! Its a shame that every shareholder didn't do that when FFXIII came out, really. It seems excessive, but it sends out a VERY strong message...or it would, if more people did it.

More power to this guy, I say :dave: It's become pretty obvious over the years that words alone have a lot harder time changing anything in the world than direct actions. So if someone with actual protesting power that will be listened to, protests, then I think that's phenomenal. Of course, you don't want five people deciding the fate of the series either, but in this case, from what I've heard, I don't blame him :wacky:

Don't know anything about this game. :mokken:

all you need to know is that Final Fantasy is doomed. Once upon a time it was a romantic idea, but now it's just a big old smelly cash cow. :mokken:

all you need to know is that Final Fantasy is doomed. Once upon a time it was a romantic idea, but now it's just a big old smelly cash cow. :mokken:

I think it's becoming more and more painfully obvious how important Sakaguchi was to Square's organisation. Between 1997 and 2001 Square put out 5 quality Final Fantasies (7-10 and Tactics). Today they'd probably struggle to put out one half-arsed one in the same timeframe regardless of Square being a much bigger studio now than they were then. People can say what they want about his new company Mistwalker, but the man certainly knows how to crack the whip and get a game out the door in decent time. Something which Square is sorely missing these days.

There's a key word here I feel some of us are forgetting.

Rumor

Funny thing about rumors, there's a chance they aren't real and never happened. If this really did happen then as far as rage quit goes that's pretty epic. But I wouldn't be digging up Final Fantasy XIV grave just yet regardless of your personal feelings towards Square's newest addition to the franchise. I'd like to see this be confirmed or denied at some point before commenting further.

Well people's reaction to it also indicates that square has been poorly directing their company.

I mean, after all... It wouldn't be so surprising that it was true, Wada actually told us, their customers, that they sold us an incomplete product for a full price.

Well people's reaction to it also indicates that square has been poorly directing their company.

I mean, after all... It wouldn't be so surprising that it was true, Wada actually told us, their customers, that they sold us an incomplete product for a full price.

When did he say this?

Also does anybody know exactly how stock ownership in Japan works? I know in America it's public information through the SEC. If Japan is mostly the same way you wouldn't think it'd be very hard to find somebody who unloaded 26 million. So I wonder, if true, how this man have been able to keep his name a secret.

On top of that, Wada told us that Final Fantasy XIII could have been better in certain areas. Yes, this was said the day before the game was released in the West. Moron.

I think it's got to the point now where almost everyone can see Square-Enix are going downhill.

On top of that, Wada told us that Final Fantasy XIII could have been better in certain areas. Yes, this was said the day before the game was released in the West. Moron.

This reminds me of a delightful article I read a few days ago about the troublesome development period of FFXIII, how back in E3 2006 despite the elaborate trailer the team had little idea of what direction to take the game and that there was literally little to none of playable material even made yet. It's totally noticeable how even Kitase's team was so nervous to release the game earlier this year because they kept saying things like: "We could have done this", or "This wasn't in the game, but I'd have liked to put it in". That really does not inspire much confidence and enthusiasm if even the developers aren't in any way close to 100% behind the product they have made.

This has probably happened with FFXIV as well. It does look very clear that they wanted to release the game before WoW: Cataclysm that they probably left out a lot of things. I'm actually waiting for some members of the team to come and out and say: "Ah, sorry. We wanted to put this and that into the full release, but we hadn't the time."

Good on this guy (supposing he did it as there is a chance that this may not have happened) and an epic response though.

I still think people have been too hard on FFXIII. Is it the best game ever? Of course not, but I still liked it. As I often say, I'm a person who liked the past FF games and still somehow managed to like FFXIII, so I can't really accept people bemoaning the so-called collapse of the FF franchise after SS became S-E, or the people's names in the credits aren't the ones we're used to seeing and whatever else *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back