XBox Red Ring of Death

SapphireStar

♥ FFF's Matt Bellamy Pervert ♥
Veteran
Gil
Well I got it an hour ago and Im beyond upset. It was working last night and this morning and 2 hours ago! I turned it off to have my tea, went to watch a DVD and got the dreaded ring of death.

Now I got it back at the start of 2008, but the official XBox 360 website says my warranty expired March 16th 2009!!! Wah????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive been told that the warranty has been put up to 3 years after purchase by Microsoft, but I dont understand why the website is saying mine expired last year, after a year of owning it. So I have to call up customer support tommorow and sort it.

AND I still have a month left of GOLD on there, no impressed. So Im gonna mention that tommorow to them.

This sucks doesn't it, and is pretty much why I got a PS3, 1, because I was fed up with basically constant repairs, and 2, so my Xbox got a little less use.

The warranties ARE three years, but they never changed the website.

I think if you go on the website and report it as hardware failure, and put red ring of death in comments it should be repaired free of charge.

If you have any issues with this phone them, their customer service "can" be helpful, but don't count on everyone you speak to being helpful, I've only done this 3 times now :wacky:

But 95% of the time they will repair RRoD with no issues or charges, or at least this has been my experience.

Edit* I noticed how atrocious my typing was.

Last edited:
Thats where I checked and it said Your standard warranty expired on March 16, 2009 under warranty information.

Standard warranty doesn't refer to total hardware failure (RRoD) only other issues like faulty disk trays, or other non-aesthetic breakages.

This sucks doesn't it, and is prett ymuch why I got a PS3, 1, because I was fed up with basically constant repairs, and 2, so my Xbox got a little less use.

The warranties ARE three years, but they never changed the website.

I think if you go on the website and report it as hardware failure, and put red ring of death in comments it should be repaired free of charge.

If you have any issues with this phone them, their customer service "can" be helpful, but don't count on everyone you speak to being helpful, I've only done this 3 times now :wacky:

But 95% of the time they will repair RRoD with no issues or charges, or at least this has been my experience.

Correct. Or that's how it was when I got the E-74 error and E-74 and RRoD are under the same warrenty. Even though my standard warrenty expired you should still be able to get mine checked out for free since it was still within 3 years.

SapphireStar: Just making sure but you bought a new Xbox 360 right?

Well, thanks guys. Ive managed to get it sorted and not has to call customer support. Why the website isnt updated is beyond me! Sadly my guy is the only person I know with a printer, so it wont be sent off till next week :/ It says itll take 2-3 weeks for it to be returned.

mine took 3 weeks to come back and it came with a 1 month XBL card. For the time being you could use the towel trick, cause you have to wait for them to send you the box which takes about a week.

You need to supply the box. And I doubt the towel tricks going to work at moment. I dont want to mess with it anymore.

Ouch well that sucks but at least you managed to get it resolved in the end. Hey, it gives you a good opportunity to work on your backlog so it's a good thing. Do you live near a library or know anyone else with access to a printer? Waiting 3-4 weeks doesn't sound fun, especially if a game you want is coming out during that time.

Your Gold should be okay. My mate got it a while back, and they sent him a three month free trial as a good will when they sent him his XBox back.

Got my XBox wrapped up in bubble wrap and fitted snuggly into a box from work. Just need to get some more wrap, print the label, call UPS and get it picked up. Im sorry to see my baby go as I do get attached to my things.

I'd consider getting a Slim or something. A friend of mine got so sick of sending his 360 off every couple of weeks for repairs after the first time he just bought one of those. The RROD appears to be something of a death sentence for a 360 - if it does it once, it'll probably do it again even if get it sent off for repairs. Although that said, my old 360 gave me the RROD a few days after I bought it, then the next day when I turned it on it worked fine, and I didn't have any problems with it after that...

Yes I would do so as well. Provided you have money to spend already you will have your X360 back already, you will have a new standard warrenty for it, you will have a nice new slimmer Xbox. Now who doesn't want that? I also haven't heard of any stories of the Slims getting the RRoD yet so that's a good thing.

They were actually pretty dead on when they fixed my RRoD, they sent a month's live with the refurbished console!

This was a pretty big reason I was so hesitant at purchasing a 360 for a long time. I even remember hearing problems with the original xbox that prevented me from ever buying it and saving my money up for a ps2 instead. I heard it was once at a 40% fatality rate and then they got it down to a 20% fatality rate when it comes to the old models. Don't know how accurate that is but it's what I heard. I finally bought one and luckily I haven't had any problems with it since the day of purchase. Glad you got it fixed.

There is a way to temporarily fix REd Ring of Death.

/I'd be scared to say incase I can in trouble xD

Ugh, I've gotten Red Rings at least 3 times so far in 4 years having a 360. Always at the worst times too. Like when a brand new game is released I wanted to play (Madden 2009), or when I get to my new base, internet is just set up, and I hadn't played Xbox Live in 10 months before going into Boot Camp.

Yeah, all times I wanted to punch a Microsoft employee.

So far, I've been strong over a year now. Watch it zonk out next week though... :/

I've never encountered the problem, luckily. Though I don't play my Xbox360 nearly as much as I do my PC and PS3. Knowing my luck fate will go out of its way to prove me wrong the next time I try. :P

Back