PocketStation Question

mothcorrupteth

Orthodox Christian
Gil
So after 20 years, I finally imported a PocketStation so I could play it with the two games I've always wanted one for ever since my parents said no to importing one for Christmas 1999. I can finally play SaGa Frontier 2 and Final Fantasy VIII as they were meant to be played without using the PC port.

Except I've hit a snag. I have a memory card adapter for my PS3, and it recognizes the PocketStation, but it won't assign it to any of the memory card ports, leastways that I can tell. Now, I have a disc copy, sure, and I could dig out either my SCPH-7000-model PS1 or my PSOne from my moving boxes, but now I'm bummed. I was hoping I could enjoy many years with my PocketStation, but if its functionality is chained to disc, well, disc rot eventually happens, especially since I live in the sweltering humidity of the Deep South.

Another option that seems open to me is that I have a late fat-model PS2. I can buy the hardware needed to soft-mod it, then run an ISO of FFVIII off an internal HDD. I think. I know the software to run PS2 ISOs is out there, but I'm not sure about PS1 ISOs.

Of course, the biggest problem is that I'm not far along enough in either game yet to have the option to the PocketStation open. I plan on modding my PS2 anyway because I want soft backups of the Xenosaga trilogy, but my question is: Has anybody else dealt with this issue? Is there a way to get an NTSC PS3 to save to PocketStation? And if not, is there a way to run PS1 ISOs off a modded PS2? Because I really don't want to have to crack open my SCPH-7000 baby that I've had since 1997 to solder in a mod chip that will let me play backup CDs when my precious discs inevitably rot.

Back