"Memories of your past can be forgotten, but
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Ohri Jin
FFXIV Server
Cerberus
http://gematsu.com/2013/02/playstation-4-announced

I watched the Sony conference yesterday night right up till the Blizzard announcement. Anyone watched it live yesterday? For those that did not click the link to see a coverage of the whole thing.

What do you guys think about the new controller or other aspects? I thought the presentations was pretty nifty. Although we still dont know the price and release date is uncertain.

Never played killzone but killzone shadowfall seems impressive. Also dutch guy ftw lol.

New gameplay of Watchdogs!
Oh yeah I think the new controller is pretty ugly tbh.

Another uncertainty is the gaika service and special online features??? Is it free or subscription based? What about Sony wants to let the ps4 be able to play every playstation game but via Gaika? Ps4 wont be backwards compatible but with Gaika it will be somehow?.

Anyways what do you guys think. Excited?

UPDATE:

PS4Specs.png

PS4Specs1.png

PS4Specs2.png

BGZAbCbCcAAss4_.jpg:large

PS4Specs3.png

camera_24770.nphd.jpg

PS4Specs5.png

Notice the last sentence: Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Grab the official PDF here: https://secure.webassets.scea.com/p...sset/feb21/pdf/playstation4_specification.pdf

Last edited:
The controller looks like a vibrator with playstation buttons on it. it's awful.

PlayStation 4 will not be backwards compatible with PlayStation 3 titles, however, through cloud technology—specifically, a new service called PlayStation Cloud—PSone, PS2, and PlayStation 3 games can be accessed across a variety of PlayStation-certified devices. This service will be rolled out in phases.

who'd have guessed they'd do that? -_-

it all sounds very gimmicky tbh. it's like they've decided to take a leaf out of nintendo's book. i cant say it has me excited. the price alone will no doubt put me right off. i can just imagine what they're gonna charge for it.

Haha indeed man the controller reminds me of two dildos as handles...pff..
Hmm thats totally pointless tbh how can those games be accessed through a variety of Playstation certified devices>?

Only way this would be acceptable for me is if you insert any PS1,PS2 or PS3 game/disc you own and upload it somehow in your own cloud for FREE!

:mokken:

Haha indeed man the controller reminds me of two dildos as handles...pff..
Hmm thats totally pointless tbh how can those games be accessed through a variety of Playstation certified devices>?

Only way this would be acceptable for me is if you insert any PS1,PS2 or PS3 game/disc you own and upload it somehow in your own cloud for FREE!

:mokken:

exactly. but we both know that's precisely the opposite of what it'll be. you will be able to access the psone,ps2 and ps3 games they can be arsed to put onto the ps4 cloud and you will have to pay for them. again. nintendo are good at this shit too.

The controller kind of looks like one of those off-brand unofficial ones. I'm still not fully sure what that Playstation Eye exactly does other than be the next-gen Move thing. And the touchpad noticeably harms the aesthetics of the front controller face. Given how small it looks, how functional will that be? So I'm not too hot on it and it seems to be a new way for QTEs to work, probably. As for the sharing button, I don't really care about. I don't really think my buddies on Facebook care too much about what I'm currently playing at the moment and how much I am failing at it - nor do I want them to see it.

Killzone: Shadow Fall looks awesome visually and technically. And since it's not set on Helghan but on the more Mass Effect-like Vekta, it has my attention.

inFamous: Second Son? No opinion on. Just that it appeals to that libertarian spirit of FUUUUCK, WE'RE LIVING IN AN ORWELLIAN STATE WITH ALL THESE CCTV CAMERAS AND SHIT I HAVE NO FREEDUMZ!!11 and that I was hoping it would be a new IP instead.

The Witness: awesome~

Watch_Dogs was probably the highlight (again), though I am still sort of surprised that it's for the current gen games too. It will be interesting to compare these cross-generation versions because Watch_Dogs looks like something that should stay next-gen only. Now if only New York isn't the setting for the gajillionth time.

Diablo 3? I don't even know how that would work with a controller, but seeing as Blizzard seems unlikely to change their "stay online on our servers" policy, they better damn well hope their servers are bolstered up...if anyone gets this for either PS3 or PS4.

Square-Enix once again announcing an announcement and telling us to look forward to it. Different verse, same as the first. When they announced FFX HD, you can tell they weren't ready for it at all and just wanted to get it out there to support Sony. I get that they were doing the same thing last night, but nothing was actually announced, nor was any new insight given on anything except a call to come to E3 where there MIGHT be something good to reveal.

Another uncertainty is the gaika service and special online features??? Is it free or subscription based? What about Sony wants to let the ps4 be able to play every playstation game but via Gaika? Ps4 wont be backwards compatible but with Gaika it will be somehow?

Given how much it could have been to acquire Gaikai, establish this streaming system and ensure that cloud servers can handle it, I would hazard a guess that you'll have to pay something for the service.

For me I sat through it and felt bored most of the time, but however some things were good about the show to. I mean lets start off with the hideous controller, I mean I agree with above posts. It does indeed look like a knock off third party made controller and not something you'd expect as the 'official' controller. I was totally miffed they didn't show the actual system, it just didn't make no sense, maybe they want to show it at E3 because they done pretty much their presentation now so it would be boring at E3, so what better way then to show it off to say 'were showing something'.

I am personally not a fan of how Sony talk about their technology, they always seem more up themselves than even Microsoft. I mean the system specs they didn't even delve into properly, but they kept selling you on two aspects. 8GB RAM AND ULTRA POWERFUL GPU. (Which we know if your a PC owner that it isnt overly special) But for a console it is impressive yes but they keep going on and on about it.

Killzone looked lovely yet again, but is it like the current Crysis 3 has been said to be, all looks just no substance?

Infamous looked meh to me....

The witness looked good

Knack looked shit and not interesting to me...but it is bound to appeal to others out there..

The whole playstation move thing from media molecule, is the most stupidest thing ive seen and very boring.

Watch Dogs is going to be game of the year whenever it comes out, it looks that damn good.

Destiny on PS4 (It is time exclusive to xbox 360/next xbox on every sequel as well) so they announce extra content for your wait which will probably be only a mission and a gun (which will then arrive to xbox owners I bet)

Deep Down, the capcom game that I first thought was Dragons Dogma 2...I really wanted it to be that :(

Diablo 3....buy it on your PC? or buy it on your PS3...so why have it on PS4....when it's predecessor can run it.

The whole PS4 not being backwards compatible with PS3 etc and will be done down the line via a streaming service seems like a bad move in my view, I know for the PS3 it may have to do with its games using mainly the CPU were a PS4 is cross using CPU/GPU so it could be problems with optimization or something I don't know but that is a bummer.

Overall I feel that it was a meh presentation, but I will probably get one thats just how I am. I am now waiting on what Microsoft will do, as if specs are to be rumored this next gen battle is going to be mainly down to software now not power.

Something tells me the controller look is going change, reminds me of when the PS3 was going have a boomerang for a controller, we see how well that turned out :wacky: .

Overall this is just a small preview of their E3 show I think. Graphics looked great, but then again Sony never had a problem with being number one on graphics when it came to the console wars.

Overall the games were no surprise minus Blizzard saying Diablo III was going be on the PS4.

As far as it goes, I didn't expect them to make the console backwards compatible, PS3 wasn't even backwards compatible except with PS1 games (unless you got one of the early versions).

So overall, All I will say is good luck Sony and if you think of charging an arm and a leg for this console you can forget about being number 1 again :mokken:

PS4 will not block used games or require online"You can go offline totally," confirms Worldwide Studios boss.
February 21, 2013 / 06:22 AM EST / Sal Romano (@salromano)

PlayStation 4, announced last night in New York City, will not require an internet connection or block used games, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed.
“Used games can play on PS4,” Yoshida told Eurogamer.
Asked whether the system requires an always-online internet connection, Yoshida said, “You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected. The system has the low-power mode – I don’t know the official term – that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita.”
If it wasn’t clear, he reiterated. “You can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don’t want to connect to anyone else, you can do that.”
PlayStation 4 is due out this holiday.
Read More: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4, SCE, SCEA, Shuhei Yoshida
http://gematsu.com/2013/02/ps4-will-not-block-used-games-or-require-online

the sharing and streaming functions look great. no longer will you need to buy a capture card when it's built straight into the system. given how popular streaming has become in the last few years, it's a pretty nice feature. a lot of the cloud functions they want to do seem good as well. and with the jump from 512 MB of RAM to 8 gb or RAM, the system will finally be on par with a mid-end gaming PC. Knack, the Witness, inFamous 3, and Watch_Dogs all look great, but I would not get a game as good or as pretty as Watch_Dogs on an inferior console so that will be going to the PC, yes it will. I'm liking where Sony is going with the PS4, but there's still not enough to sell me on it. I'll wait a year and a price drop or until there are more things on it that are of interest to me. I'm hoping this form of backwards compatibility they want to implement isn't limited, but that might be too generous.

Not blocking used games? [Probably] not having this stupid online-only-to-work feature?

Good job, Sony.

Now imagine if Microsoft does block used games for Durango and/or have an online-only feature. Gun. Trigger. Foot.

Now if only we can have hope that publishers won't fuck around with some sort of sophisticated DRM function that may well be like locking down on used games/game sharing. Because they'll probably do that...

Not blocking used games? [Probably] not having this stupid online-only-to-work feature?

Good job, Sony.

Now imagine if Microsoft does block used games for Durango and/or have an online-only feature. Gun. Trigger. Foot. .

Yeah since Xbox lovers were all trolling about this for maybe a year now :wacky:

But seriously it's kinda sad they had to officially announce that.

I can't comment on the trailers or anything like that, but I did see the controller. I thought it was okay. Like many of you brought up, it almost looks like a fake gamestop controller. In fact, it looks just like my Gamestop brand PS2 controller I got almost 2 years ago. I guess the share and touchscreen things are cool. Ehh... Controller is a controller.

Good job, Sony.

Now imagine if Microsoft does block used games for Durango and/or have an online-only feature. Gun. Trigger. Foot.

Now if only we can have hope that publishers won't fuck around with some sort of sophisticated DRM function that may well be like locking down on used games/game sharing. Because they'll probably do that...

This is generally how I feel this morning. PS4 might be my go to system if microsoft fucks up their reveal with stupid things that you mentioned.

As for the PS4 announcement itself? I like it.... I really do. That controller needs a makeover though because a lot of people are already complaining about it since last night. I am very excited to know that Bungie's new IP Destiny is going next gen(if that was not a given that it would already). Hahaha as of last night, Bungie fans went through the roof when they heard exclusive content for Destiny on ps4. :wacky:

Funny thing is that the nextbox will probably get some exclusive content as well... so like shut the fuck up people, it is not the end of the world that Destiny is seeing the light of PS4.

The graphics for PS4? I would honestly say they look identical to reality. That Killzone segment was so breathtakingly awesome, but I do not see myself getting that game. If anything, it was to show off the amazing power of the PS4. I am curious though. Sony did not announce a price yet.... and this thing looks really expensive just by watching everything last night.

My next gen titles

>Destiny
>Maybe Watch Dogs

Gaikai sounds really cool but I doubt it will be free. The announcer last night said "Only buy the games you love and test out the ones you will potentially love"

Fleur - Watch Dogs is set in Chicago, actually. I thought it was New York too until I looked it up. The trailer saying "heart of America" or something to that effect made me doubt that it was NY and I was right. :D

I have my doubts about the controller like everyone else, but I think with a little more time to evolve it could be ok. Sony has already stated that the PS4 will be DualShock 3 compatible, and I imagine a lot of games will not take serious advantage of DualShock 4 features, so we can all just play with what we prefer. I sure don't need to live stream my gaming all the time--if every PS4 player is doing that, then who the heck is doing the watching? Nobody! And the little touchscreen looks like it's just a way to unify Vita and PS4 gameplay somewhat, and answer to the WiiU gamepad (but I think RemotePlay does that moreso). Maybe it will surprise me and be useful, but right now I can't imagine it being good for anything more than getting a HUD off the TV screen.

The games they demoed look simply fantastic, IMO. The graphics were brilliant of course, but beyond that they just had a feel to them that was a vast improvement over this generation. Like...they had next-gen graphics, but the substance of last-gen games. Watch Dogs mainly gave me this sense--that game looks seriously epic.

Overall for what it was I actually thought it was a good press event. Sony's just saving time at E3 by taking care of the introductions now so that they can dive right in with features in June, and so that everyone will be looking for Sony on their way in. Maybe it was a sort of preemptive strike against Microsoft unveiling hardware at E3?

the ps4 won't play ps3 nativly, and there a reason, the way the ps4 has been built, and the way it processes has completly changed.... ps3 ran on a 9 cell system, while ps4 will be running at a standard pc x86 system 'aka, it has a processor, graphics card, ram just like everyday pc's' sooo playing ps3 games on the system would be like trying to emulate ps3 games on a pc... which is not even possible xP

the ps4 won't play ps3 nativly, and there a reason, the way the ps4 has been built, and the way it processes has completly changed.... ps3 ran on a 9 cell system, while ps4 will be running at a standard pc x86 system 'aka, it has a processor, graphics card, ram just like everyday pc's' sooo playing ps3 games on the system would be like trying to emulate ps3 games on a pc... which is not even possible xP

Not quite. The PS3 has a 6-cell CPU, which is actually the same x86-64 architecture as the PS4's CPU. Theoretically the PS4 could lock 6 threads to 6 cores and use them just like the SPE with the remaining two cores picking up the functionality of the PPE that controls the 6 SPE's. The Bulldozer CPU of the PS4 even carries a similar range of instruction sets to the Cell CPU (minus RISC, which could easily be emulated). If Sony wanted to, I'm confident they could get PS3 games running on the PS4 with just a software compatibility layer like what WINE does on Linux. But why do that when they can charge people for their PS3 games again on a streaming service?

Not quite. The PS3 has a 6-cell CPU, which is actually the same x86-64 architecture as the PS4's CPU. Theoretically the PS4 could lock 6 threads to 6 cores and use them just like the SPE with the remaining two cores picking up the functionality of the PPE that controls the 6 SPE's. The Bulldozer CPU of the PS4 even carries a similar range of instruction sets to the Cell CPU (minus RISC, which could easily be emulated). If Sony wanted to, I'm confident they could get PS3 games running on the PS4 with just a software compatibility layer like what WINE does on Linux. But why do that when they can charge people for their PS3 games again on a streaming service?

true, and this is what xbox 360 does to run xbox games, but emulation is buggy, not every game works on it, not all xbox games work on xbox 360, i brought 3 games for xbox to play on my 360...... 1 worked....... sooo ain't it better just to leave it 'you know, you could keep your ps3' rather than have it, but fans get disappointed when their farviote game don't run on the emulation

btw, sony are not using cell http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-flexible-on-playstation-4-cost

TBH playstation store was created since PS3. Sony would be fucking retarded to let all those purchased games etc go to waste!

I have bought a lot from PSN and I expect those games I downloaded to download again but instead on ps4.
So thats the PSN front. What about disc versions hmmm :hmmm:

If Gaikai is not free but one time subscription (which I doubt) or monthly subscription or small contribution/microtransaction per game I will be quite disappointing.

Smartmove on Sony they need the revenue from Gaikai, but seriously I wont buy games again that I already paid for in each generation lmao.

I hope Sony has common sense. Im betting a lot of people needs Gaikai for older games so I want it to be free. I would support Sony by going PSN plus as long as we dont get screwed...

So far we know nothing about Gaikai , surely it isnt literally PS World right? These two should be seperate.
Im guessing HDD comes in more than one size.
Price?
Release date estimate?
How does the actual station look like.

Im guessing HDD comes in more than one size.
Price?
Release date estimate?
How does the actual station look like.

all gonbna be annonced at most probs e3... come on, if everything was annonced yesterday......... there would be no point in E3

as for ps3 discs... no they won't run.... due to 1 the processor strture change and 2.... how dam hard it is to emulated... i kinda expected this

Back