ORPG Ideas

Kibbies

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I've noticed that we have a lot of RP bios, but very few ORPG and RPG threads going on. Since I just recently got approved, I'm looking for a story to get in to, and there does not seem to be anything open right now that I'd fit in to.

I am sure others may feel the same way, or do not want to join in because they just don't like the scenery involved.

So, anyone, what kind of adventure do you want? Add some vague statements, but also specifics. Perhaps you'd like to take the wheel on a sailing ship looking for treasure, or start off as members in an evil baron's dungeons, breaking out and seeking revenge. There are many story lines we could go with, but what would you guys like? Post your ideas here.

EDIT: This post shall hold all of the mentioned ideas that have been mentioned. - Lady Eterna

List o' Ideas
  • Card-inspired RP
  • Star Wars
  • Mecha-related
  • Adventures at Sea
  • Fanfiction Settings
  • Science Fiction
  • Modern
  • Generic Characters Only
  • RPB Tournament of the World's Fate
  • Subterranean RP (Breath of Fire V URPG)
  • Industrial Setting
  • Murder Mystery
  • Horror Story/Ghost Story
  • Crossovers
  • Sci-Fi Post Apocalyptic
  • Cyberpunk

------
Mod Edit: Edited the title to be more straight forward since this thread could be very helpful for all of us RPers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Role-playing Battles ftw. xD

Yea, that's what I want to see for the most part. A broad selection of challenges for me to accept. =D

Someone go post a thread. Me must own.

Last edited:
Let's see... Well, the main reason I joined these forums was because I was in the mood to join an RP that was final fantasy inspired, but not a blatant rip of any particular final fantasy setting. I've since made a fitting character, and already plunged him into an appropriate world to satisfy that purpose, so I'm content. However, some other games that would catch my consideration would be:
-If we're going RPB, I'd like to see an interesting, well balanced setting, with a story behind it and a purpose. (Even a sterotypical 'the world hangs in the balance of this tournament' setting is enjoyable.)
-I'd probably join an original collectable card game inspired RP (something like Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic: The Gatheric, etc..). As cheesy as it is, I played one before, and it was alot of fun. So long as there are rules in regards to card creation and mechanics, it can be surprisingly difficult to godmod. One interesting way to mix things up metagame, would be to have your opponent or the GM decide which cards you drew from your deck.
-Anything to do with giant robots. ^_^
-Seafaring adventures have always seemed like they'd be fun (in response to one of your examples), especially if it's done well.

I'd like for once to see a story where both, the protagonist and antagonists were played by users. Hell, I'll even volunteer to be the bad guy. I tried it before, but those endeavors were shut down.

Warm regards,
~The Legendary Wullfe

I think that the antagonist could be one of the PCs (player characters), but the only thing that would have to happen is good communication between the creator of the RP and the antagonist, so that the story can move along in some manner.

As for me, I've always been a Star Wars fan, to the extent of playing an online MUD of it (pretty much an RPG that is text-based..very..very nerdy..to the extreme). We could combine that with the giant robot idea, and even have the antagonist be a player. Think of..

..The evil sith with his creation, pounds through the streets of Coruscant. Buildings topple and wires suspended on poles snap. He heads straight for the Jedi Academy recently build on this planet, nothing stopping him in his path.
From the front gates to the academy, a lone handful of master jedi watch, knowing that this could very well be their end. The younglings are shuttled away by the less adept jedi, leaving the truly strong to give a resistance.
The robotic beast, piloted by the sith, is a force to be reckoned with. The power of missiles, lasers, and old-fashion chain gun bullets with the enhanced perception that comes to those in tune with the Force...

I think that would be fun. We could also thrown in Metal Gear or Transformers for the giant robot part =p

Ahh.. the melting pot.

*shrug* I much prefer original settings to fanfic settings, and starwars is a universe I have little interest in past the original trilogy. Also, in regards to 'old fashioned chain gun bullets', I have never seen anything in starwars that suggests that bullets, or even gunpowder were ever invented. You do certainly seem enthusiastic about a SWRP, so I suggest you keep trying for that, but it would take someting spectacular to make me interested in joining (Giant robots or not).

As for protagonists vs. antoganist PC stories, you may want to consider having 2 RPs running at the same time (one for the good guys, the other for the bad). Just an idea.

Tusken rifles uses bullets, but that's the only occurrence I know of. Supposedly they are good against lightsabers since the bullet would melt and then burn into the jedi just like it would have anyway.

Anywayyyss... We just need a general idea, and then someone creative to think up a plotline for it. Is there any kind of era you all would prefer? Futuristic, current, medieval?

I've got my fill of fantasy/medieval for now, so I'd be more interested in trying some futuristic/sci-fi or modern. I don't really have any (interesting) more specific ideas, though. =\

Hmm.. a dogfight in outer space would be rather fun. Perhaps the PCs are part of a squadron. I could see this going very well. We'd all have to make characters that know each other as comrades, and there wouldn't be any special abilities (ie, super reflexes, super speed, fire-breathing, that kinda stuff). Pretty much, we'd have generic people, which is the best for RP!

How many would be willing to go through with this idea? I'd lead the adventure, and I'd rather not have more than three others in the squad. (4 is a magic number)

Sounds like fun to me, so long as it's pace is reasonable (read: not too fast to keep up with when you're not at home all day some days). What would be the terrifying threat to us poor normal human beings?

Pshh. Like I'm going to tell you =p

If enough sign up or, in this case, show interest I'll write something up to give a general idea. Until then, the main grab for interest is:

You are a member of a squadron on a military space station, a trained pilot of the fighter space craft. There are many empires in the galaxy, they are at war, yadda yadda.. Sounds simple enough.

I'd really like to see an RP set up here that uses either the FFVII or FFVIII settings; I'm shocked there isn't one (that I've seen). It'd be nice to be apart of one from the beginning as well :D
Is it just me who would like to see that or do other people agree? I'm not saying that we have to use the same characters, same storyline etc...Just saying we could follow the same format as the Final Fantasy storylines.

I think there is a SeeD one going on, or at least a club. Otherwise, it would be neat to follow the missions of AVALANCHE. Both of these groups could have really neat adventures.

I do enjoy settings based off of existing worlds I love, but on the same token, I HATE cannons. To that end, I think I could only enjoy an RP set in a FF world only so long as it took place way before, or way after the events in the respective games. Oh, and given the choice, I'd probably prefer to join a FF8 set game to an FF7 set one (though I prefer the FF7 game to 8). However, FF8 does wrap up pretty well, so thinking of a good story for that world could be difficult.

Hmmm I don't know what to say in regards to this thread.
I'm really hoping that I get a new RP mod to help me out with the RP section soon. I feel somewhat at fault for not ensuing new ideas, but...if I only had someone to work with, things might get done quicker. ^_^

I never did beat FF8 (I got to the final boss and got bored with the game, I think I didn't want it to end =/), so I am unsure how it all closes up. However, we could easily have an RP in that world, prior, during, or after the events in the game.

I would also prefer an FF8 RP over FF7, since it seems a bit more realistic. I think neat idea is that a band of adventurers go searching for a legendary GF. This could take place during any part of the FF8 timeline.

And I nominate Shenorai for the RP mod. I've had plenty of experience with her, and she knows her stuff.

Are you saying I'm not smart? =/

Idea: make us both mods =D

Then we can be at each others' throats and no be able to do a thing about it!

Back