No loss of “freedom” after Eidos-Square Enix takeover, says IO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
square-enix-logo-2.jpg

IO Interactive’s Karsten Lund has told VG247 that the studio hasn’t lost its sense of “freedom” after its parent company Eidos was taken over by Square Enix in April last year.

Asked if the takeover had affected their development, he said: “I don’t see any change in the freedom we have at all.”

“I couldn’t tell you anything about that. Our focus at IO Interactive is to create new franchises and good experiences for gamers to enjoy, and that’s what we’ll continue to do no matter what,” he added further.

Eidos was eyed heavily by Warner Bros. At one time, instead, the company turned its attention onto Midway, and apparently Codemasters, before losing Eidos to Square in the bidding war that ensued.

Since the takeover, both companies have been working in conjunction with each other on several projects. It was announced back in November Square Enix would be working on CG cinematics for Deus Ex 3, according to Eidos Montreal boss Stephane D’Astous.

A week earlier, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced at the Montreal Games Summit, that both Square and Eidos are working on their first full game together.

Find VG247's full interview with IO’s Karsten Lund here.

Source: VG247

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think SE acquiring Eidos would be quite like a country taking over another country anyway. People just like to see SE in a negative light and assume Wada would be a dictator and enslaving Eidos employees.

Thankfully this should get rid of the stupid Tomb-Raider-with-spiky-haired-boy-with-huge-ass-sword ideas anyway.

I don't see why people should doubt Edios' freedom anyway really, if Square Enix started forcing RPGs onto them then yeah I could see a problem, but if they were going to do that then they could have bought any company. SE obviously see something in Edios games that they liked otherwise they wouldn't have bought the company, so taking away their freedom would make no sense anyway >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back