Red Mage
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Chanteru Chandora
FFXIV Server
Lamia
ffxiv_6_thumb.png

Square Enix sent over some new Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn screenshots showing the PlayStation 3 version. Final Fantasy XIV has a different interface on PS3 with 16 total command slots. The d-pad and face buttons (circle, cross, triangle, and square) are for eight slots. The other eight can be accessed when you hold down the L2 or R2 buttons. Players can set eight action bars and cycle through these using L2 and R2. The main menu, as explained last night, has a XMB-like interface.

ffxiv_5_thumb.png

ffxiv_7_thumb.png

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will have more cameos from previous Final Fantasy games like Amon, an optional boss from Final Fantasy III. Summon monsters Leviathan and Odin are also confirmed to be in Final Fantasy XIV.

Chocobos in Final Fantasy XIV can learn skills. You can make a chocobo that specializes in healing and wears a white mage hood (left) or an attack-obo.

ffxiv_3_thumb.png
ffxiv_4_thumb.png

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will also have advanced dungeons like this one desgined for players level 40 or higher.

ffxiv_9_thumb.png

Source: Siliconera

I'm quite excited for the new interface that's going to be implemented into the PS3 version! After playing FFXIV for the PC, I felt that the GUI could've used some work. It was pretty annoying for me to access the menu quickly and efficiently, and let's face it - when you're playing an MMO, you want to be able to quickly navigate through the menu options. Plus, the new design looks pretty modern and sleek, y'know? ^^

EDIT: Also, I loooove the idea that chocobos can learn skills! && just look how cute they look with their robes on! hehe x3

:chocochan:

Oh wow, these updates are good news! Judging by one of the screenshots (too lazy to load them all in another tab individually) the navigation looks somewhat like the PS3's navigation already. But the prospect in general of a working Final Fantasy MMO on PS3 is the biggest thing to be excited about in my opinion. The amount of reasons I have is unbearable!

Oh wow, these updates are good news! Judging by one of the screenshots (too lazy to load them all in another tab individually) the navigation looks somewhat like the PS3's navigation already. But the prospect in general of a working Final Fantasy MMO on PS3 is the biggest thing to be excited about in my opinion. The amount of reasons I have is unbearable!

I agree with you 100% - I think that having FFXIV on the PS3 is a big step in the right direction because it will give fans the opportunity to actually play the game on a console that is powerful enough to properly handle the game's specs. That was the major reason as to why the game initially failed anyhow. :/

I just really hope that people are willing to try out the game again for the PS3 this time! :3 Plus, I don't think the price is so bad. From what I've seen it's ranged from $45~$60 (I saw conflicting prices, but even $60 on the high-end isn't bad imo.)

Well, supposedly the specs for the PS3 version have been decreased to the extent where the graphics still look great, but players shouldn't experience many issues with lagging and the game should run quite smoothly~

I suspect that the server players choose to play on will have a significant effect on how well the game will run online. Like if a player from the U.S. chooses a server in Japan/Europe, they may experience more downtime/lag compared to a player who chooses a server closer to their own location. However, I'm hoping that the game will run great regardless of the server location. :lew:

I actually like more and more how this game is sounding! I really am wondering if I should buy it or not.

Does anyone know if by buying the PS3 version, you can play at PC too without buying the PC version? (by downloading a client obviously).

@Shace - You should definitely consider getting FFXIV! ;3 But of course, when it comes to MMORPGs, only you yourself will know how much time you would be willing to commit to the game. Plus, there are monthly service fees... Is that something that you look critically on, or you don't mind paying monthly fees so long as you're playing something fun that keeps you engaged/interested? You could always do the free trial, but you'd still have to pay full price for the game (unless there's a way around that?), so it's something worth thinking about. :hmmm:

@Tetsu - I wish I had an exact answer for you. ^^; I'm pretty sure that you'd have to purchase the PS3 and PC versions of the game separately. From what I know, there is no download client available online that substitutes the PC version of the game - unless they started offering a digital copy now? (It's not interchangeable like some crossplay PS games - like Sound Shapes, you can buy for the PS3 or PS Vita, and get the other version of it for free.) Are you still undecided on whether or not you'd want the game for the PC or PS3? The PS3 version would be the best choice at this point, unless you're one of those lucky people who has a super computer! ;p I only know a few in that boat.

The schedule released to the community was tagging this game around end of January / February. However Yoshi-P has stated he WILL NOT release before the game is finished and if they find glaring issues during the Alpha/Beta, they will delay it in order to fix them.

As for PC/PS3 cross play. You will have to purchase both versions in order to play your character. Only 1 paid account is needed, but you will have to use a retail version of both the PC game and PS3 game.

If you already own the PC version, 2.0 will be provided at no cost. The current 1.0 version however has been pulled off the shelves, and accounts can not be created.

Current game stops saving character data on November 1st, 12:00AM GMT (midnight on Halloween GMT) and is scheduled to completely shut down on November 11th. Although Yoshi-P has stated the servers will come back up for people who want to fill time between the two versions (since not everyone will get into alpha/beta).

Sorry I've been busy or I would have got to these sooner =)

Mehh, that sounds so lame! x__x So it was estimated for a Jan/Feb release, but it will be delayed if issues are identified? I appreciate the fact that the developers want to ensure that the game is complete and the online play is successful before mass-producing it, but it worries me a bit to know that the PS3 version can potentially be delayed again.

When FFXIV first released, I immediately anticipated getting the PS3 version over the PC version because I knew that my computer did not have up-to-date specs, but unfortunately, the PS3 version was canceled/delayed/failed. So I'm really hoping that the Alpha/Beta tests go well this time around && that the game can be released within a reasonable time frame without any delays. Otherwise, I think many potential fans (including myself) will lose hope in the credibility of this game. -.-;

Sorry for the rant. I'm feeling a bit pessimistic, I suppose. xD;

I'm definitely buying this for PS3, even if it isn't going to be particularly good it'll certainly be a pass time. Plus they haven't made a decent online game yet so maybe it w'll be good. Who knows!

Darn, I really didn't want this game to drag me in because I hate the thought of paying a subscription for a video game, but A Realm Reborn is really looking like it's going to be awesome. I might have to at least try and get in the beta or something...

Back