New game freezes with original PS & FFVII

Palli

Gil
Morning!

Past week I bought the PS1 and FFVII because I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play the game again. Now whenever I press new game the PS makes a weird squeaking sound, the disc stops spinning and the screen goes black.
The playstation is brand new and works perfectly. The game is in a good state, no scratches or anything on the disc.

Anyone has an idea of why this is happening ?

EDIT: I do not know if it matters but the Playstation does not (yet) have a memorystick. I thought maybe the game needs one in order to be played but I can't remember that being the case.

Thanks in advance.

Have you got other games with FMV clips working? Like the intros to Tekken etc.? I've had them jitter and freeze durning play, but never simply not load.

- Try getting it to the point where it freezes and switch to Disc 2, I know it may sound weird but when mine was freesing during the cutscenes I did that before and it skipped them. That may work, but I have a feeling as it is the start it may just ask you o insert Disc 1 again...

I'll give it a try. Unfortunaly I have no other game to test wether or not the FMV clips are loading properly.
Can we determine that this is a disc problem or is it a PS problem ?

EDIT: Switching disk sweems to work but it just booted normally as well. No idea how to analyze the problem further if it works without reason now...

Last edited:
I remember doing this for FFVIII. My game froze during that dragon fight with Laguna and company. It kept freezing there. I switched to Disc 4 (or at least I think it was Disc 4...) and the game loaded fine. This was years ago though, I was only 13 years old, so it could be a disc problem?

But hey, glad it works now though! Enjoy the game. =] Thanks @Vivi-Gamer for helping out here!

Back