Tech Moving my iPod

Will Graham

Hello, Dr. Lecter
Veteran
Gil
So I finally got a laptop and want to change my iPod from being paired with the house computer, to being paired with with my new super machine.

Now the tricky bit is that I want to sync it to winamp on my new computer, not itunes. I will not have itunes on my baby, because seriously, fuck itunes. It devours resources and shits lag

So yeah, how should I go about doing this? I have no problem wiping anything that's on the iPod, also it's currently jailbroken

I'd say the thing you need to do is wipe it, then it will no longer be paired to your old computer. Then you can sync all your files back through your new machine.

i throught you had to use itunes to sync it up o_O well i got told that anyway

best thing to do is wipe it and start again with the new pc, thjat should get rid of the link with the family pc :P

^I meant wipe as in do a complete reset of the device, if all possible. I have a Windows Phone that losing its relationship with my computers every time I do a full reset, so I'd say the same would be done with your iPod.

You have to use iTunes, I don't think you can sync your ipod to any other program.

Each ipod lets you sync to 3 - 5 different machines so you can sync it to the laptop and as long as you keep syncing it to the laptop for your music etc I don't see the issue with having it also paired up to your computer? :hmmm:

You need itunes to activate it on that machine or it wont work.

Dunno what you mean about lag though. I have no rpoblems with itunes.

Shut your mouth.

It must be different with iPods and iPhones then :hmph:
I've never heard of an iPod letting you use another program before though. I think you dunno what you're talking about :mokken:

ps. Malcolm!!

iTunes is a cunt and I hate it, it keeps changing song times and jumbling all my artwork

Winamp explicitly states that it will allow me to sync my iPod, has anyone actually used something bar itunes for iPod syncs?

My dearest darling Lewis was correct, I had to pop it through itunes first before it would be picked up by another program

Going to see if uninstalling itunes afterwards will still let it sync with winamp

I've used winamp to put tunes on an iPod. It messed the music up a bit, giving certain songs the wrong cover art, but I don't think I had to delete songs to put on new ones. :hmmm:

Back