Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater

damn, that's a shame... even more of a shock than when Joey Jordison was voted as a better drummer than Mike in some magazine. I love Dream Theater and dislike Sevenfold which makes it even worse.

to be honest though I don't really like the new stuff DT have been making, but I'll always love their first few albums. Thank you Mike for your work with DT (especially for Scenes from a Memory) and also the side-projects like LTE, and good luck.

Here's the story (don't remember if it was in the article or not). Portnoy, having toured with several other bands, wasn't having the same "fun" with DT, so he wanted to take a year off. The other guys from DT didn't agree with him, so they said that they wanted to keep moving and not stop, so Portnoy quit. And that's bullshit. Portnoy is the best Prog Metal/ Prog Rock drummer I've heard. There's no beating his drumming. He's perfected the art of banging on the drums, and making it sound good.

I was waiting for when a post like this would go up.

He explicitly said its not for avenged (check his twitter page).

I am hoping he continues to do side projects: some more Liquid Tension Experiment maybe? How about some more TransAtlantic, or even that long rumored metal project with Akerfeldt & Steve Wilson.

He is my favorite drummer of all time (tied with Peart). While I am very saddened by his departure from DT, the last 2 DT albums were pretty weak where as his side project stuff has been solid. I hope he releases a ton of good music in the future.

Well, with Trans, he said that he would want to do it once every few years that it remains to be a special thing (I went to go see them!). I think he was doing a project with a guy from Opeth and a guy from Porcupine Tree.

Oblivion_xiii - the guy from opeth and porcupine tree are akerfeldt & wilson that I mentioned.

Also if you got the Whirlwind special edition with the dvd all the guys on it express interest in collaborating more. If you also remember the 1st 2 albums by TA came out pretty close together.

Well tbh I haven't heard much more Dream Theater than Scenes from a Memory, but I think they're awesome, and it sucks for anyone who was part of that to be quitting :sad3: I'd be really disappointed if he had been leaving for Avenged, because even though I do like them I like DT a whole lot more, and he's already built a career with them and everything :hmmm: But whatever he goes on to do, I hope it works out for him.

I have to say, I didn't see this coming at all. I can understand his reasons for leaving, but I'm still surprised that he actually took this step in his career.

Back