Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Hello all.

As many of you will know we've started work on issue 2 of FFF's free digital magazine, Timber Maniacs.

We are currently researching the most popular FF soundtrack on FFF so that we can include member comments on a short page.

Please help us decide which to feature in this issue by voting in this poll!

We shall then contact people for their comments.

I voted for XIII!!

I really like the game soundtrack and I think "the Promise" is one of the best "main" themes in Final Fantasy!!

I'd also like a quote in the magazine where I praise the game(without having to balance it out with me saying it's a bad game)!

Hmm while I am a huge fan of the classics, I think FFXIII’s soundtrack deserves some love too. It’s beautiful. It’ll be refreshing to see what people think as well.

I'm gonna go with a game that deserves more love here with Final Fantasy Tactics more so the War of the Lions edition since the soundtrack was remastered and updated I believe. Was good for it's setting and had some nice simple tunes that helped in it's atmosphere.

Final Fantasy VII's Cosmo Canyon theme. Stunning piece. I would've picked a different FF, but... :lew: I can't.

I went with FFXIII-2, it's easily my favourite, I mean have you heard this ???? so good

This is a very difficult choice

I've voted for FF6 but I love the most all soundtracks from 5 to 9 included :)

This is tough! Each soundtrack is unique in its own way and I love so many different tracks from each.

If I have to pick one then I think my vote has to go to FFX because some of the tracks still give me feels (especially the ending theme).

I think regarding best composition Final Fantasy VI wins hands down - Terra's Theme, The Opera, Dancing Mad... there are so many amazing compositions to choose from... however the limited hardware of the SNES sort of lets it down for me - Sorry chip-tune purists! But Distant Worlds have done some astonishing covers which are some of my favourites of their work.

But if we're talking about Original Final Fantasy Soundtracks... I choose Final Fantasy VIII.

From VIII onwards I find myself able to listen and enjoy the OST's far more - A lot of VII's OST can me ear-grating to me. But with Final Fantasy VIII the sound seems to have more tone variety (...not quite a techinical term :P) to where more relaxing tracks like Fisherman's Horizon and Breezy can be enjoyed.

One of my favourite tracks is Silence & Motion, I love how it has the high pitch tunes slowly plodding along then transitions into a futuristic soundscape very fitting of Esthar. Another favourite of mine is The Successor, which I think encaptures everything form the jounrey, a sense of peril to a softer 3rd act which to me feels very comforting - I've always loved how this track ends.

It's also the 1st soundtrack to have a hit single with vocal recordist by Faye Wong, which I really appreciate and brought us futher brilliant vocal tracks in FFIX & FFX.

While I have focused on the OST I also want to give a special mention to the Final Fantasy VIII Piano Collections - By far the best of the bunch as I feel a lot of the other Piano Collections stray to far from the original compositions, but not this one.

I love the diversity and eclectic sound of FFVIII's soundtrack. Not only is there many standout and unusual tracks, but as an entire piece of work, the soundtrack delivers an experience not found within the more blended soundtracks of following FF titles. There are no sweeping scores in FFVIII (albeit in the original iterations, the orchestral versions within Distant Worlds are very dramatic indeed!), however there is this sense of setting and tone from each piece, going from sweet and nostalgic (as with Breezy and Balamb Garden), to desolation and isolation (Find Your Way, The Salt Flats), along to intense action (Man With The Machine Gun, Maybe I'm A Lion, Only A Plank Between One And Peridition), right into just plain weird sounding (like with Residents and Lunatic Pandora). This is a soundtrack I still actively listen to often and consider it to be good listening independent of the game itself (although I enjoy playing that too!).

Thank you all for entering the poll!

It was close but FFVIII won!

We have already started collecting comments about FFVIII's soundtrack, but please do send any comments over to me (via PM or in this thread). It doesn't matter if you voted in the poll or not, if you want a few short sentences about FFVIII's soundtrack to be included in the magazine and attributed to you, please send them asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back