Kitase: No FFVII remake project “yet,” play PSN release “for the time being”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Inevitably a question about an FFVII remakes had to asked at GamesCom, this time courtesy of VG247:

VG247 at GamesCom: Will we ever see a remake of Final Fantasy VII?
FFXIII’s Yoshi Kitase and Motomu Toriyama, speaking through a translator: There’s no official project that’s up and running for a remake of Final Fantasy VII at this point. Both Toriyama-san and Kitase-san were involved in the development of the game, however, and it holds a special place in their hearts. They do talk about it on a personal level, like, ‘If we did it it would be like this or like that.’

Also reported elsewhere, again, by Kitase; "I'm actually working on multiple projects right now," said Kitase. "I don't know exactly what new projects I'll be taking on after XIII, but I am working on Agito XIII as well, so maybe I'll be able to focus a little bit more on that project once XIII is complete."

"As for a VII remake, all I can advise right now is to play the PSN release that just came out for the time being. Maybe, perhaps we'll have some news for you at a later time."

So, they do talk about it, but there’s no official project yet. But there’s that PSN release that just came out, so if you could play that for the time being, it should be fun.

Source: VG247, VideoGamer

If I had a playstyation network card :vikki: Although I think this will happen after XIII is done. I think the information is pretty accurate. But If VII is remade I say put it on 360 also :grin: or remain ps3. You know how crazy fans will be if it does happen? Oh ya Tifa in next gen graphics! even better than AC

Well, if they remake FFVII then they must remake FFVIII and FFIX :dry:
I found those two much better than FFVII. I still don't get the fuss over FFVII.

Anyway, IMO they should stop talking about ramaking (any game) and just work on their current projects . They have enough of them.
I am glad they didn't say anything for certain.

Not that a FFVII remake would be bad in all, but I thought that the game looked pretty great. Maybe its not as good looking as FFXII or the new ones, but its got nice enough graphics and everything. FFVII fans shouldn't worry about a remake; we all know one will be made because SE knows that Cloud and Sephiroth make them money no matter how many spi-off titles are thrown out into the world. They will get their remake, be sure of that.

The only games we haven't gotten a remake from are: FFV and FVI besides VII. VIII and IX have beautiful graphics and if they remaded those games, I probably wouldn't even like it.

I guess this is just a rant from a FFV/VI rabid fan girl, but that's my thought on a FFVII remake. No matter how dull the time seems now, in the future (maybe late this year od next year) all FFVII fans will jump in joy because there will be a remake for them, on PS3 no less ^^

They all seem to be working on multiple projects at the time. That seems to come from each developer at Square. Once these projects die down, I'm sure that'll be something they're leading towards.

Part of me thinks they're just waiting to do it in a grand fashion or at the best of times. For instance, a lot of people wanted the game remade for PS2, right? But how disappointed would they be once PS3 came out, and the graphics would once again be "inferior" or "of the past". It sounds like a very fickle thing, and it is, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're keeping that in mind. With that in mind, I think they're saving it for a kind of milestone to represent "next gen" graphics or something. I'm not saying it'll end up a be-all-end-all project for Final Fantasy or Square, more that it's a trump card they're not going to play too soon.

Hope that makes sense.
--

Anyway, all of the previous FFs have been remade, quite a bit actually, and the biggest reason for doing so has been the graphics. So why not for FFVII, since the polygon-esk figures receive such a poor response.

It made sense. FFVII fans are picky! lol I would like a FFVI remake to look lik XII's graphics, those were pretty stunning enough but nothing too grand.

They must be waiting for a PS4! lol

I prefe VII & VIII the way they are, they still have good graphics...well, maybe not for VII's walking around graphics.
(I could understand what things were in the older games than I could in VII. Too maybe hour glass shaped things lol)

That's exactly what I told a lot of FFVII fans wanting a remake since they didn't play the original PS1 game: play the friggin' PSN release xD

I love FFVII, really I do (I mean, I like the extra stuff added on since the original game that I know a lot of peole feel pissy over) but enough questions about remakes for it. Seriously, I've been sticking by SE despite all the bad rap their getting', but I'll be really cross is there's an FFVII remake before an FFV and FFVI one -_-

Just wait a couple of year people, okay?! :gasp:

Anyway, all of the previous FFs have been remade, quite a bit actually, and the biggest reason for doing so has been the graphics. So why not for FFVII, since the polygon-esk figures receive such a poor response.

All the previous FFs have not been remade. We've yet to see an FFV or an FFVI remake. <.< As for this news? I'm actually quite relieved to hear it. Tbh I really don't want an FFVII remake because I'm worried that they'd screw up the original story. Sure the nice graphics would be great to see, blah blah whatever, but tbh they whore this game out entirely too much. They need to give it a rest and focus on other games such as FFV, FFVI (especially FFVI) and FFVIII IMO. I used to be a big fan of FFVII but not anymore due to them constantly milking it. I'm just absolutely burnt out on it. So hearing this news, I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Seriously, I've been sticking by SE despite all the bad rap their getting', but I'll be really cross is there's an FFVII remake before an FFV and FFVI one
Just wait a couple of year people, okay?!
:P
I'll be cross if they make a VII remake before V and VI. They need one and haven't got one tiny remake yet! >.<
They need to give it a rest and focus on other games such as FFV, FFVI (especially FFVI) and FFVIII IMO. I used to be a big fan of FFVII but not anymore due to them constantly milking it. I'm just absolutely burnt out on it. So hearing this news, I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief.
I thought I was the only one who thought this way about a remake for VII. I'm not alone! Yay!
*coughs* anyway, I agree. VI and V were very great games, their story was so perfect. Is it not enough that the FF team loves V the most to remake it? I mean seriously! VII is great in all, but I can think of four FF games that are better:
FFVI
FFV
FVIII
FFIV.

There will be a remake for VII, just wait a little longer...

I'm still pretty skeptical of FFVII being remade, but I don't have any particular issue with it seeing as how I don't exactly have money flowing out of my jeans nor do I possess a PS3.

The only concern that I really have about an FFVII remake is that it will probably be all flash and flair, essentially what the remake should be, but... I'd hope that they'd at least bring something new to the game for those who have already seen the story of Final Fantasy VII.

PC version has mods that make the game completely bearable even by today's standards, and isn't even that bad without them. It'd be a waste just to sell the game back to players with the same content, same dialogue, and improved graphics.

All the previous FFs have not been remade. We've yet to see an FFV or an FFVI remake.
You're right, my mistake, okay. Although it's not like they've been completely ignored, with GBA and PSX ports equipped with added cinema.

<.< As for this news? I'm actually quite relieved to hear it. Tbh I really don't want an FFVII remake because I'm worried that they'd screw up the original story.
Why would this be a fear for VII, but not for V, VI, and VIII?

and FFVIII IMO.
VI and V I could understand, but why VIII?

I used to be a big fan of FFVII but not anymore due to them constantly milking it. I'm just absolutely burnt out on it.
This is a silly reason not to like FFVII itself. You don't even have to pay attention to the compilations. It's no reason to dislike the initial piece. And aren't you currently writing a fanfic with elements that draw from AC?
-----

It made sense. FFVII fans are picky! lol I would like a FFVI remake to look lik XII's graphics, those were pretty stunning enough but nothing too grand.

They must be waiting for a PS4! lol
Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. I really think they're saving it for an ace. Personally, I'd be happy with a remake at all. But I know that Square's gauging things from a strategical stand point (or I'd assume so).

they still have good graphics...well, maybe not for VII's walking around graphics.
(I could understand what things were in the older games than I could in VII. Too maybe hour glass shaped things lol)
Depending on what you mean, I may disagree with this. The pre-rendered backgrounds on maps and towns were amazing. The only thing that really seemed to get criticism were the figures themselves. Personally, I felt they were fine (maybe apart from the arms), but I can see why they'd receive a bit of flack. Still, I never found it hard to determine "what from what" in the game or anything of the sort.

In any case, the PC version fixed the "roaming" figures quite nicely IIRC, and even added nice refinement to the rest of the graphics - which were already amazing for their time.

Last edited:
Depending on what you mean, I may disagree with this. The pre-rendered backgrounds on maps and towns were amazing. The only thing that really seemed to get criticism were the figures themselves. Personally, I felt they were fine (maybe apart from the arms), but I can see why they'd receive a bit of flack. Still, I never found it hard to determine "what from what" in the game or anything of the sort.

I was talking about the characters. They looked like hourglasses lol

She doesn't want them to hurt the real story line and characters by changing things, because that's what they would do if they remade VIII or VII. Everything would be different.

She doesn't want them to hurt the real story line and characters by changing things, because that's what they would do if they remade VIII or VII. Everything would be different.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

I understand what she meant about them screwing up the continuity of FFVII.

But she went on to say:

but tbh they whore this game out entirely too much. They need to give it a rest and focus on other games such as FFV, FFVI (especially FFVI) and FFVIII IMO.
Which is basically asking for things to be done with V, VI, and VIII (possibly a remake or compilations - given the context). But if there's fear of FFVII's continuity getting screwed by doing this, I don't see why that fear isn't shared for the other installments.

Also, the part you quoted of mine:

was also in response to the above quote of hers about which games should get focus. This part was my fault, as I only quoted the last snippet.

Hope that clears things up.
----

Also, "everything" would certainly not be different in a remake. In fact, hardly "anything" would have to be different. I don't see where this kind of thinking comes from. It's not like they'd just throw out the script and start from scratch. I know SE gets a lot of heat as of late, but they aren't stupid, especially about a project that'd mean so much to them as creators.

The most I could see them doing is let you actually fight Sephiroth in the flashback or at the end of the game (since Crisis Core retconned Zack's encounter with Sephiroth), or something to that effect.

But, I actually wouldn't mind them smoothing out the story just a bit (not changing it, just make things more obvious to the masses), if only so some people would stfu about "how confusing the plot is". I and many others never had any problem with it, but I can't tell you how many people I've seen make this kind of notion.

Last edited:
Ah, got it. I see why you quoted and what you were asking. I think we should wait for Rinoa to come and clear it up for ya :P

My little fan-girl inside just squeed. =] Argh. I've loved Final Fantasy VII for so long, I wish they did remake it already. -__- Remake, not change it though. :gasp:

All the previous FFs have not been remade. We've yet to see an FFV or an FFVI remake. <.< As for this news? I'm actually quite relieved to hear it. Tbh I really don't want an FFVII remake because I'm worried that they'd screw up the original story. Sure the nice graphics would be great to see, blah blah whatever, but tbh they whore this game out entirely too much. They need to give it a rest and focus on other games such as FFV, FFVI (especially FFVI) and FFVIII IMO. I used to be a big fan of FFVII but not anymore due to them constantly milking it. I'm just absolutely burnt out on it. So hearing this news, I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I think you are overreacting a bit. One thing that's obvious from playing Crisis Core is that protecting the original has been priority number one for Square. They could have easily released that same game for the PS2 and it would have easily outsold FF X-2. THAT would be whoring out the game. Instead they released an action/adventure game for the PSP on the 10 year anniversary of the game itself, which had the goal of shedding some light on some of the characters from the original game. It's almost completely linear, and it's clear they didn't want to do too much to possibly damage the original game.

DoC I've never played, but from the descriptions that people on this site have given it shouldn't be treated any differently than the goofy chocobo game.

I haven't seen AC in a few years, but I don't remember it tiring me out of FF7 at all. I remember it being kinda cool to see something else FF7 related 9 years after the original game release.

I do agree with you about FF6, but I think it will be very difficult to develop characters like they did in the original game, mainly because they won't be able to use the same methods. Not saying the methods were bad, they were actually ideal in the SNES days. They'd just have to take a much different approach in the writing, which wouldn't really be the case for ff7, 8, 9 etc. Haven't played 5, but I'd imagine it would have the same issues as 6.

Anyway, I don't really expect any of you to understand what I mean by the last paragraph, so hopefully I can explain it better when I'm less tired in the morning.

If they do make a remake of FFVII, I'm not playing it. I have the original game and that is perfect for me so I don't need a remake in order to play it. They can only make it worse I feel. They'd probably add Genesis references in to it, and the gameplay will probably lack a world map or airship and be very linear and repetitive.

Therefore I'm out on that one, and this is a bit of a relief for me. Still, they'll probably do it eventually anyway. When it does though I won't be rushing to get it. There's little point in a remake for me.

The only remake of FFVII I will support though is if they happen to remake it to fit the designs that Amano made for the characters and the world.

7-cloudbike-a2.jpg

But that isn't likely. While it would be beautiful and interesting to look at, it would confuse a lot of people.

I think releasing on PSN was a good move, and hopefully a lot of people who couldn't play it before will play it now. I'm glad they are concentrating on the other titles and not on a remake for now though.

Which is basically asking for things to be done with V, VI, and VIII (possibly a remake or compilations - given the context). But if there's fear of FFVII's continuity getting screwed by doing this, I don't see why that fear isn't shared for the other installments.

I think that fear isn't spread as much because FFVIII, V and VI have yet to have any spin-offs that retcon the original game.

FFVII has been expanded and developed, and some things have retconned. If these changes were added in a remake it might spoil it for fans of the original game.

EDIT - For example, Genesis can GTFO of the Nibelheim incident.

Last edited:
*shrugs* I'm not overreacting. I simply don't want a remake. I knew I'd get attacked by the FFVII fanboys and girls, but hey. I have my opinion. If you don't like it that's your problem. For one, they screwed up the way the original scene at the mako reactor in Nibelheim went in Crisis Core. They added Genesis. He was never there in the original game, so there's one example of a screw up of the original story. I'm not overreacting about anything. I'm just tired of FFVII this and FFVII that. I don't dislike it. I'm just burnt out on it. I think other games deserve more attention. FFVII isn't the only Final Fantasy out there that people enjoyed. Oh and as for my story? I'm not currently writing it and haven't been writing it for a very long time because...gee...I'm burnt out on it, just like I said.

To be honest... Although I would play an FFVII remake, and would love to see Omnishlash in HD next gen graphics... I don't think I could stomach another FFVII game/movie/animation either. I mean there's already Before Crisis, Crisis Core/Last Order, FFVII, the Denzel movie, AC, DoC and Lost Episode... Then take into considering that whole thing about Nojima said he envisioned X and X-2 as prequels to VII... It just gets a bit much, to be honest.

I mean, it was a great game when it came out, and still is, but as Rinoa said, its been milked far too much. In my opinion; yes, it was revolutionary. Yes, it was a great game. but no, it's not the best game in the world, and a remake would just tarnish it further in the eyes of many who have been drowned in a see of spin offs, movies and short anime.

If anything, like Rinoa, I'd like to see the other FF games get more attention. Or even Chrono Trigger or Cross...

Let's face it. FFVII has gotten stale. Yes stale. At least in my eyes. Merchandise, Advent Children, and the not great Dirge of Cerberus follow-ups have all been sub-par. They've whored out the games, movie and franchise like there's no tomorrow, and I got a little bit bored of it all, to be honest, and, like Mandi said, burnt out. Yes, it's a great game, but so is VIII, VI, X and XIII promises to be good too, so maybe we should move on from a game that was released last millenium, and enjoy what's to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back