Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
All of the Tantalus Theatre Troupe members are really unique characters. So a bit like my thread about Marcus, this one is about Blank.

Most people are drawn to his belts and how he clearly wears an eccentric amount of belts... But his skin is another thing which fascinates me.

Taking a look at his stitches and the patchwork-skin, what do you think his story is?

Is he a living doll (think Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas)? Or is he like Frankenstein’s monster and was created by stitching together the various body parts of different corpses, hence organic? Or had he suffered a brutal accident and needed serious repair?

What happened to Blank?

If he was 'created' then that might explain an odd name like Blank - a blank slate, perhaps. It would also tie in with all of the other examples in FFIX of the theme of artificial life, exploring what constitutes 'living', how it can be valued and experienced when a being hasn't been 'born'.

If you really wish to discuss his belts you might also want to wonder whether he has any eyes underneath the belt which covers his face. Or is that to keep them in lest they fall out?

What do you think?

bandokanon

amazing avocado
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I saw this a few days ago and I wanted to say something but I kept putting it off for various reasons and telling myself "I'll post in here when I have the time/energy to"... Took me an entire week I think wow

Anyway I and a whole bunch of people in my rp community share a general headcanon that the patchwork look is a result of severe burn wounds and in some cases the added bonus of a crap healing job. Some people that have actually roleplayed Blank went with the idea that the events that lead up to his burn injuries were so traumatic that he developed amnesia, so that when Baku adopted him he just went with the name Blank because it worked well. Another I really liked (also thought up by a Blank roleplayer) had an entire backstory about an abusive family prior to Baku, an incident that caused the house fire and essentially saved his life (with devastating repercussions), and how he ended up abandoning his previous name for the sake of anonymity and probably some spite too.

I'm not about to touch upon this one in detail myself, because I don't consider it "my jurisdiction" ( cough ). But I am more partial to the above mentioned burn theory. Even so, that's not the only one out there by a long shot. It seems like no matter what the answer is, it's always gonna be a morbid/dark one.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
That's an interesting idea. So a sort of skin graft following severe burns due to a fire?

It would certainly suit Blank's terrible run of bad luck.... Being burned.... Turning into stone...

If he still suffers pain, maybe it might explain why he doesn't wear many clothes. Maybe it is simply too painful when clothes touch his skin so the more that can exposed, the better. Maybe, maybe not!

Top Bottom