[Interest Check] Writing Contest of the month/bi-weekly kind of thing

Sexy Beast

A beast into the jungle of life
Veteran
Gil
So, pretty much this is me asking if anybody would be interested in a bi-weekly to monthly writing contest. Not sure how it'll be panned out or exactly what kind of writing, but I'm just wanting to know if anybody would like to have it around?;)

Sounds interesting. You could have a weekly poetry one or a bi-weekly short stories one. Maybe even have a novel writing competition where you write a chapter every two weeks.

I think that's too soon. I was thinking more along the lines of a bi-weekly Poetry themed contest and/or monthly short story-ish contest. I wanna see if anybody else is interested in this before I get it a solid think-a-through.

I've done similar contests.

Usually there'll be a specific theme chosen to ensure no one begins their story ahead of time.

Theme[example]: write a short story about a hero or heroine trying to save the world.

Then there'll be a set time limit. 2 hours. 1 day. 1 week. 2 weeks.

I've done 1-2 hour short story contests before.

It can be fun and exciting.

I would be interested in participating.

Didn't this forum used to have something like this a long time ago? I'd be interested in participating in something like this! ^^ I think it would work better as a monthly thing though.

Eh, it was just something I thought of. But honestly, anything over 2 weeks for a short story or poetry contest is too much. Maybe three, but that's pushing it.

Or you could just have weekly contests and let people enter what they will in them. It may turn out people want to put out a chapter/story a week. You would have to get more feedback on it.

I would participate in something like this occasionally when I had internet and time.

Novel thing probably wouldn't work as a contest, but short story or poetry would probably work well. Every week or 2 weeks would be fine, I'm sure that a few people would find time to participate in that.

Wish I was still as active as I use to be, I would have liked something like this :awesome:

Eh, it was just something I thought of. But honestly, anything over 2 weeks for a short story or poetry contest is too much. Maybe three, but that's pushing it.

Or you could just have weekly contests and let people enter what they will in them. It may turn out people want to put out a chapter/story a week. You would have to get more feedback on it.

Well the reason I say two weeks - especially if it's going to be poetry - is because people take take to do poems, and their life sometimes takes priority, and so that there's two weeks for them to get an entry in, but as well as get the real life probs out of the way.

On a side-note, it seems this has peeked enough interest for me to confidently start it. Just gotta decide on how I'm gonna do it. :3

I've never known anyone to take more than a week to do a poem; most of the time they write it all there and don't stop until it's finished.

Not at all where I was getting at. I meant that people tend to have stressful lives, and the extra week gives them the time to sort it out AND get some form of writing done. Plus, y'know they might also have a life. :wacky:

A week to do the poem
A week for voting?

Sounds interesting, I'm guessing this will be like the GFX Contest, where each week well have different themes and everything?

It's called making time, just the same as I do for my writing. I expect that the AOTW and SOTW people do the same.

Yes while that is very true indeed, making a sig and avatar is much easier than writing a poem and/or some form of a short story. Maybe it takes you only a week to write something, but for others it takes them two or even longer, just about how they use their time.

A week to do the poem
A week for voting?

Sounds interesting, I'm guessing this will be like the GFX Contest, where each week well have different themes and everything?

Yes, exactly. Instead, the winner of each contest will give me a new theme or whatever. Oh, and I'm debating on whether or not to have it in an anonymous format or not. :think:

I'm definitely game, but I also understand how much less interest goes into this than, say, GFX/Art contests.

Count me in if this gets off the ground, though.

Last edited:
i know i have a life.. i think XD

but I wouldn't mind taking part if you were allowed to enter stories :grin: gives me something to do :wacky:

Now I have the time to do this, so this is how it's gonna go: this thread will serve as the official discussion thread and I'll start up the contest for a test run, and if people seem to take an interest like they did a month ago, then it'll continue.

Okay, here's the contest thread: http://finalfantasyforums.net/showthread.php?p=965630#post965630

Back