Info Check - Ultemecia & Her Time Zone (Spoilers I guess)

Vivi-Gamer

Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Hi,

I've just been reading into more of the lore of FFVIII & I'm curious to see if there is much more information about the world of her time - Essentially where we arrive in Disc 4.

In the game we don't see much of it beyond Ultemecia's Castle - Other than the beach behind the orphanage at a stretch. All the locations within Disc 4 Are visible on an identical World Map, but they all have barriers around them. I wonder if this was intentional or if it was simply down to budget restraints.

I just felt the game never got a chance to properly explore her as a character nor give much context to her agenda or location she is set in. The beach surrounding her location leaves a bleak view on what we do see - with White SEED's bodies scattered around the environment. I just really wish we could have seen more of the world.

I haven't read the FFVIII Ultimania Book - As it's not been official translated and published but I'm curious to know if it has any details regarding the world post FFVIII's story.

There are some translations online, not sure how much this covers but found a lot of links referring back to these from :
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

Last edited:

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I'm not an expert on FFVIII but from what I know the world map that we see on Disc 4 isn't really the future. Not the full future, anyway. We are seeing a world in which Ultimecia has already activated Time Compression and is squashing all of history into a single moment. But the spell is disrupted so it isn't complete. Her castle is from the future, and that is perhaps our clearest glimpse into her world (and a closer examination of aspects of her castle might be quite revealing).

But most of the world map is out of bounds perhaps because of the budget and time restraints. They would have had to redesign all of these locations with either ruined appearances, or historically confused overlays. This would include anachronisms or things from the past (or the future) appearing in towns contemporary with Squall's timeline.

It would have been a nightmare to create all of that, if I'm interpreting that correctly. So stating that Time Compression only really allows Ultimecia to exist and only allowing you to explore her castle and the wilderness on the world map was far easier.

Vivi-Gamer

Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
It has been a while since I've played VIII too (If I could pause time right now, I'd love to fully indulge in a playthrough), so you could be right in the way that in Disc 4 we're in and interrupted version of Time Compression, I just thought how it would be neat to see the World as it is in Ultemecia's timeframe as what we gather within the game is very little.

I never expected them to change all the current locations, as I would imagine in time they'd be completely different or destroyed and yes that would be a considerable undertaking to do all that and not really have any scenarios built within them. I just wish there was more insight into what the world at that timeframe was like as it just feels odd going around the world map as it is with barriers around everything.

Top Bottom