In terms of story, what do you believe can be improved?

Guernsey

Final Fantasy Nut
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I really love this game and its world but I also wonder what are the flaws of the story and what can be done to improve the game's story and plot? I don;t hate the game but I wonder what its flaws are.

ribbit

don't climb too high, ribbit
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Drake Noir
FFXIV Server
Sargatanas
Honestly my least favorite part of FFVI is how the story gets fragmented during the World of Ruin. After you pick up Setzer and the second airship everything before tackling Kefka's Tower is made optional, which is cool in some ways, but makes the story itself not flow very well and story beats have less impact than the ones in the first half. Alongside an overall lack of guidance in what to do (which again some people like the freedom of WoR) made the final half of the story not nearly as engaging for me as the beginning was. There are ways to do open world and freedom in a game without butchering the story in the process. Iirc because of characters being optional SE didn't bother to add in lines for characters you find after you get the airship, something that Octopath Traveller does and is why I didn't get that game.

Overall I think VI is a great game...for its first half and then it falls apart, but that's just me. I still like it more than VII.

Guernsey

Final Fantasy Nut
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Perhaps you are right, the World of Ruin felt like a Western RPG where the player had more freedom to explore around in the game. I can see why that may break the flow of the game for some people.