Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia

It was revealed by Kitase some time ago that FFVIII's Edea Kramer was originally designed for FFVII as some sort of witch character. The concept was later developed into the sorceress character which we know in FFVIII.

How much of the Edea concept later reworked into FFVIII was already written for FFVII? Do we know?

Would we have seen Edea dealing with ancient Cetra ruins (the FFVII ancients) instead of Centra ruins (the similarly named FFVIII ruins)?

I believe that Edea's design (by Nomura) was heavily inspired by Amano's style (hence the eccentric stripey shells on her headgear)... But what if it was more than that? FFVII's Forgotten Capital / City of the Ancients used shell and coral motifs. Many homes and public buildings appear to have been made out of giant shells.

Is this design for Edea dated as early as this, and were such eccentric elements of her design meant to suggest a Cetran influence (either her appreciation for antiquity, or some sort of claim of descent similar to Sephiroth's claims)?

Is her being reinterpreted for FFVIII the reason why they had to introduce a similar sounding ancient civilisation (the Centra) in FFVIII in order to use the concepts that they were brainstorming for FFVII?

If they had fitted Edea into the FFVII universe, how might she have behaved?

It would be interesting to read your opinions on this!

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
:hmmm: well with Edea still in FFVII how much of the original idea's were going stay, such as it taking place in a "New York" setting and having a detective story feel to it...

But for the sake of this thread I am going assume only Edea is what comes out of the original idea for Final Fantasy VII, how would she fit in and in what way? Would she become the main villain, would she be more of a Jenova type of character? How far into the story would she go? Would she be in it the whole time or killed off earlier?

Well I think she would be in it the whole time, because if you look at the other really big villains, Shinra, Turks, Sephiroth and Jenova, they stay in it till either the end of disk 2 (Shinra and Turks) or the end of disk 3 (Sephiroth and Jenova) so with that I assume she would be a huge role in the story for the whole game. I feel like assuming we are not going change the whole Final Fantasy VII story, she would actually be the role of Lucretia, that she would be Sephiroth's real mother, but instead of the small glimps we get through Vincent story, we would actually see her with Jenova's power and become the sorceress, and be like Hojo and be trying to help Sephiroth with his goal of getting to the promise land. Basically another thorn in your way for the ultimate fight with Sephiroth.

ZaXo Ken'Ichi

Disciple of Vivi
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I imagine the Edea design being nothing but the human form Jenova takes to hide herself among the Cetra. So less of a full, unique character, and more of a side of Jenova's story that was mostly scrapped to focus more on Sephiroth.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
:hmmm: well with Edea still in FFVII how much of the original idea's were going stay, such as it taking place in a "New York" setting and having a detective story feel to it.
I've read about that and that the original main character was going to be a certain 'Detective Joe'... That would have been a very different game!

I wasn't certain at what stage they had designed Edea / the witch character. If they had designed her for the New York plot then I guess she does look a bit like a 1920s flapper era lady of glamour.

But if she was designed later but scrapped before they finalised their drafts then I wonder if she was intended to fit in with an early draft of the world which became FFVII.

Lioncourt

Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Dantiego
FFXIV Server
Cerberus
Building on what you said ZaXo Ken'Ichi , I always wished that they'd have done more with Jenova. You didn't know a lot about her as a personality, save for her destructive similarities to Sephiroth.

On topic: I'm glad they saved Edea for VIII. I'll never forget the goosebumps of her presence in Disc One, the stirring music playing as she introduces us into the deeper story at large. Oh, and the Parade scene! I can't imagine a life without it ^_^

Six

s ᴏ ʟ ɪ ᴛ ᴜ ᴅ ᴇ
Staff member
Admin Support
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
FFXIV
Seven Rivers
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I think had they added Edea to FFVII it wouldn't been extremely out of place.

Jenova is a much better fit, in my opinion. Maybe that's because it's hard to imagine her in FF VII now that it's been out for like... a lifetime. :lew:

Flower Bell

I myself am strange and unusual
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
Wow, I had no idea Edea was first created for VII, but as you pointed out the Cetran detils in VIII make a lot of sense. Perhaps she would have been used to go back in time, though.

Vivi-Gamer

Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
It's hard to imagine how to place Edea within the story - if She was more than just a standard boss encounter, which if I had to place her anyway it would be within the Temple of the Ancients at the point where you walk over the clock dial to a passage.

If anything I think It of Edea as a motherly figure, so maybe in an earlier version she could have been Ifalna (Aries Mother). But of course there is no evidence at what Edea was like at the time of VII so maybe she didn't even have such characteristics. Fun to think on though.