I just beat FFVI! Here is my review.

Scarlet

*wobbles*
Veteran
Gil
There were a few threads that were made recently beating a Final Fantasy game. I've created a thread where you can post about your review on the game.

If you have beaten Final Fantasy VI for the first time...Please post your Final Fantasy I reviews here.

If you beat Final Fantasy VI already and still want to write a review, then go ahead.^_^

Old School flavor mixed with a dash of jaw-dropping plot twists, emotion, and the escape of world extermination. Want to be the hero for a while? Pop in FFVI whether it's the old school SNES version, the Anthology edition on the PS1, or the newly released GBA game.

I started playing Final Fantasy VI back in 2006 and after hearing some accredited die-hard FF fans say this is one of the best, I pushed myself to get far enough into the story to find myself enthralled into the characters, gameplay, and plot. It did not take long as the PS1 graphics were pushed aside by a story-line that holds your eyes blink-less as you stare into the TV screen for over 30...maybe 40 hours of gameplay.

With a full set of characters that number far more than the fingers on both of your hands, you see a viewpoint from each personality in the game as heroes emerge from all ends of the world in FFVI. Sure it can be argued that Locke, Terra, or Celes is the sole main character in the game, but it cannot be argued that all 3 play probably the most important roles in the game, TOGETHER. With personal vengeance in mind, along with trying to make amends for the past, or just to discover their own past, these 3 characters along with the slew of others you find hitch-hiking along the way make up arguably the main party of all-time in the FF series.

Need a villain you love to hate? How about one you hate to love? Bring on Kefka! With a laugh as recognizable as they come, and a sick-minded scheme to exult himself above even the Gods and Goddesses, Kefka provides comic relief as well as the pain-in-the-ass challenge of being the main antagonist in the game. After seeing the capabilities this monster possess, you will find yourself rejoicing ultimately...IF...you succeed in this game.

With gameplay and a battle system continuing the trend of the past FF games, you'll find yourself familiar with everything in no-time. Square continues with its magnificent work in the sixth installment of the Final Fantasy franchise, so buy, rent, or borrow FFVI, and let the game take you on an adventure you've yet to experience.

I thought Kefka was hard(on psx,not gba,hes easy on the gameboy.).

Mod Edit: Can you please put more effort into your posts, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfectly executed; flawless victory; unanimously decided guilty of perfection; 10s across the board; gold medals; A1. The closest thing to a complaint I have is the lack of direction when you're shat out in the WoR. Once you get the airship, in the end, you're not told what to do besides there're 8 dragons to kill. On the flip side, it makes speaking with townspeople necessary, AND forces you to do my favorite thing with an airship: explore the world! And the cherry on top? Umaro. He's a sasquatch. You don't get to control him, but it doesn't matter.

You're given pretty good direction in the WoR...Sabin's in, like, the closest town practically, then you go get Edgar, then you get Setzer & the Falcon, then the bird shows you where Cyan is, who tells you where Gau is, which leads you to Shadow/Relm, etc...But, yeah, what you actually DO with the information is fairly open-ended, I guess...but I thought it still all lead you in one direction towards each of the party members more or less...

Something about this game. I always thought it sucked so many started out on Final fantasy VII and missed this game due to having a Playstation not an Snes. There are qualities about this game that I wonder if you would not get unless you grew up playing games at that time then got to that game. It just blew you away with detail.

STORY: Fantastic story. Really takes you for a ride. There are parts where you are not even sure who to trust or why you are.

CHARACTHERS: Brings in lots of characters who all play an important roll. I rather like this approch as aposed to the one or two main character idea.

GRAPHICS: Pushing more colors on the Snes than any game at the time. Beautifuly done, and I love the Color pallet used. It is not a super bright game. Greens and browns, all toned down a bit. Gives the whole world a Mood.

MUSIC: Well, just play it, or ask anyone. The music in this game is almost the best part which is amazing considering how good the game is.

REPLAYABILITY: Not sure about the rest of you, but I have started this game over so many times, mostly because I can't bring myself to end it, I just start over, I love the game and the story. A very good RPG for Replay Value.

RANKING IN MY FAVORITE FF GAMES:
Numoro Uno!

RANKING IN MY FAVORITE GAMES OF ALL TIME: It is at the top, with a few others in different generas. Considering my mood and the type of games Im playing at the moment I can easily call this my favorite game.

CRITISISUMS: Well as you can see, im a big fan of the game, so any critisisum is usualy just a minor thing. As in, I wish there where more things outside of the path of the story to do. Not that there are not any, just, Id like more, but mostly because I just want MORE new stuff to do in the game. As far as the Original Snes version that came out here in the states, I wish it was a little harder. I hate knowing we get these dumbed down versions.

Well, I finally beat the game. And I must say I really liked it. Here's a point by point review:

Characters: The characters in this game were quite memorable. Each of them has an endearing personality and a good story. I loved Terra, Locke, Sabin, and Edgar the most, but the rest of the cast is equally good. All of them are well developed and have nice motivations.

Story: For a basic evil empire, technology vs. magic plot, this one's quite good. Though I must say that the dialogue could use a little fine tuning (I played the PS version but will play the gameboy version, too).

Gameplay: The esper and relic system is a good one. It's not overly complicated and feels rewarding. The battles flow smoothly and are a lot of fun. And I'm so glad that there's a way to avoid random battles. In the sidequest department the game doesn't offer much. The thing is that even though half of the World of Ruin is optional, skipping all that content drastically shortens the game, so most people do all that optional stuff. I did it and I'm glad I did, since I feel like I got the most out of the game.

Music: This score is one of Uematsu's best. It set the mood perfectly for every situation.

Overall score: 8.5 out of 10

Watching the credits now

Characters: I liked having 14 people. Just about everyone had a great backstory, and there was no main character. The villains were great too, I really liked Ultros, Gestahl and Kefka.

Story: Was very good, I wanted to see Kefka and Ultros more in the second half though.

Gameplay: Relics were really cool, and the battle system was good for the most part. I didn't like training on the Veldt at all though and sometimes the random encounters would really annoy me. There's some frustrating moments (both towers in WoR and the Phantom train). I also didn't like when I had to make a lot of different parties because switching items between them got annoying after awhile.

Music: Great music throughout the game, some of the best in Final Fantasy.

Overall 8.5/10

Gotta say though, I think I might like Chrono Trigger more than this game.

It's super effective!

This was the second FF I played, and is my favorite to this day. I was sceptical at first due to the 'horrible' graphics compared to the PS2, but after playing it through, I have to say that the characters were each very unique, and didn't have too many, if any, plot holes. Who can forget mog, the street smart, fast talkin', SLAM! ...dancing moogle? Sabin's Blitzes were what sparked attacks such as Tifa and Zell's, from ffVII and VIII. Edgar, a mechanical genius and ladie's man? Celes: a biologically engineered magi-weapon of the empire? And of course Shadow, a man who's past is only known to us through his mysterious dreams. I adore the ebil villain of the game: Kefka. Gotta love that laugh! (RAH RUH RUH RUH RUH RUH!) But all in all, this remains my favorite, and is easilly a 5/5. a 10/10. Heck, let's make it a 20/20.

I originally beat this game back in 97 as FF3 for the snes. This game is still to me the best game I have ever played. The story line and characters are just so gripping that you have to play. Since 97 i have beat the game at least 3 more times for a total of 3 on snes 1 on ps1. Each time you pick up something different that you might have missed. If you tell Bannon no every time you get a Ginji glove for it. If you just wait til the last few seconds to jump off the floating contenent you get to keep shadow in the second half of the game. The game has great re-playability and in my opinion is the greatest game of all time.

My ff ranking system 6>9>7> all

It's a good game i started probably over 10 times but only won it 1-2 times and gone to the end twice too, i just don't like the game as much after the planet crashes or whatever. Got a lot of fun characters and side-quests,at least in the GBA version. I'm gonna give it another chance and win the GBA version at least.

my fav chars are Terra and Shadow and favorite party is them Celes and Sabin/Locke.

When i played the first 45 minutes of this game, I was worried that i was playing this game too late to thoroughly enjoy FF6. But I sticked with it, determined to get to where the fun began, and boy, did it began! I was too engrossed in the story too even realize how foolish I was to even doubt the game in the first place!

A memorable cast + a great soundtrack + a story w/ lots of twists and turns + an EPIC villain, Kefka,= a true jewel among the ff games.

Now I'll like to pick on those darn random encounters, they drove me crazy! I was playing this game after playing Chrono Trigger, so yeah, that was hard to shift to. And then i learned of those relics that helped reduce random battles and even the one that prevents them from ever happening, i thought of all the wasted time, but quickly forgived the game(and i dont forgive easily! I play rpgs for the epic stories, not to spend what seemed like 5 hours running away from random monsters!) because it was THAT GOOD. I am not dissapointed at all! but...

What happened to Banon after the floating continent scene?
And i just noticed that now! Didn't even give a thought about it while playing the game.....because FF6 was THAT GOOD! O.O

My Final Fantasy VI Review

Story
FFVI has a huge story, about friendship, love and of course defeating evil. However i have simplified it the game itself spans it out well. Also this is one of the FF story where the summon monsters, named "Espers" in this, are part of the story. While the story isn't quite as epic as the one to follow this game its still very strong and makes you want to play on to find out what is happening to Terra and co. 9/10

Gameplay
The game plays extreamly well for most ports of the game, the PS1 port is very slow, and is always fun to crack on. The battle system is very simple and anyone with a quater of a brain will pick it up in minutes, of course FF veterans will already have wizzed through any tutorials. For such an old game it is very entertaining and is still one of the best in the series to this day. 9.25/10

Characters
The characters of VI are a plenty, infact i would say that there is too many playable members, and they are all varied in abilities, personalities and backgrounds. Of course some of the characters are more linear than others but again you have your favorites from fairly early on. (I am a Shadow and Setzer man myself) The villain of the game is another one of the classic FF villain's, Kefka is pure evil and really personifies how a good villain should be. He isn't bogged down in how he used to be a good guy and then this and this and this happend, he is just a plain bad man. And who can forget his haunting laugh!? 9/10

Soundtrack
Adore the FFVI soundtrack i truly do. It's just so beatiful and haunting at the same time. You can never forget a FFVI peice. 9.5/10

Graphics
I like the graphics. Yeah they are 2-D but so what! At the time they were quite good and still look good for the GBA port. Trouble is sometimes it looks kinda' cute in a very serious moment. Also what's with all the enemies being 5 times as big as you when your in a battle? 8.5/10

Enjoyment
FFVI is always an enjoyable game but it does have a few tidious moments. I dont find it as re-playable as the next four games in the series but i do like to play it every year to show me what a FF should be like. 9/10

Overall
FFVI gets a very good 9/10

Final Fantasy VI was the game that drew me into the FF series. I first started playing it when it came out on the SNES in 1994, and to this very day I find myself starting the game up to take yet another journey to save the world. The game never disappointed me at any point, had almost no downfalls to it, and every piece of the game had some sort of value to it.

Story - The story was the most epic adventure I've ever played through. To be honest, 80% of all games lose my interest in the story department about 30 minutes into it. However, we all know how brilliant the Final Fantasy story makers are, and how important the stories are to the game throughout their series. What I love about the story in this particular installment is how large in scope it seems, yet how easy it is to wrap your head around and to be involved emotionally in the story and it's characters. From the war of the magi background to opening the gate to the esper world, and watching the characters evolve in spite of the story, to the world of ruin and that feeling one gets when one realizes how important of a role you have to save the world, the story simply is glorious. As the best overall story of all time in any game, I have no choice to but give it a 10/10

Characters - The backgrounds and the evolution of the characters individual plots is an important inclusion to the games brilliance. Watching Terra evolve from a clueless misfit to a very powerful esper is one of the best character-stories one could imagine. However every character beckons you to try to find out more about their past, and you really do form a fondness of particular characters due to who they are and what makes them unique. Not to mention their individual abilities set each other apart. 10/10

Gameplay - The gameplay for a JRPG of the day was pretty static. There wasnt much flexibility in the way games panned out in this department. However things like the colusseum and hunting the 8 dragons do give the game above average gameplay. The esper magic system is also the best magic system of any Final Fantasy game to me. 7/10

Music - The best soundtrack on any game, ever. I do not use this lightly either. While music doesnt make the game, it adds to any already lovable game to make it much better. The music stuck with me so much, years after I had no access to an SNES, I looked for soundtracks of this game on the internet. Every track fit every theme and really brought out the mood. Who really didnt go "aww..." when Celes and Locke were on that boat? The music amplified that moment so much for me, and there are countless examples similar to that throughout the game. if I could reasonably give this department a 100/10, I would...

Graphics - obviously you cannot compare graphics of a game made 15+ yrs ago with a game created today, but given the era this game was created in, it was touted as one of the most graphically beautiful games ever. If I'm not mistaken, the pseudo 3D engine that drove the worldmap led to the DOOM "3D" engine. Sprites were the thing back then, plus you could really customize the menus to look stunning. They could even make the sprites relay emotions well! Honestly I cant think of a more beautiful game made on the SNES - 10/10

Replay value - There is almost no replay value per se in these kind of games. You play them for the story and how well you relate, love, or hate the characters. Everything is completely linear outside of party selection and whether you take on a few side quests. Characters even level within 2 levels or so of your highest leveled character, so its hard to make one extremely overpowered apart from others (outside of their original skills of course). However what keeps you coming back is the lovable characters, story, and even the music. While it is not a game that differs significantly from time to time, ironically it is the lovable nature of the games static play that keeps you coming back again, and again, and again... even after 15 years. I mustve played through this game about 15 times! 7/10.

Overall - As the best game in the genre and series, the most memorable game I have ever played, with a story only rivaled by a few games, I must give it a high score. I implore anybody who believes 7 to be the best game in series, who has not played 6, and isnt completely put off by old graphics or flashy gameplay to play this game. You may not admit it due to your partiality to 7, but in your heart I bet that you will believe 6 to be the superior game. FF6 made 7 possible (and popular) due to the wide fanbase it received in the west, thus funding the long project 7 became. Sorry, I am a bit off topic I suppose.. In any case, everything good about this game melds together despite the generic gameplay and stale genre characteristics to make it a lovable game that will hold a place in your heart for a lifetime. 9/10

Final word - If you have a deep fondness of the series (which if reading these forums, you probably do), and have never played this installment -you must! All parts which make a FF game - story, characters, music - are unforgettable and undeniably lovable. Honestly, the bar was set so high for me with this game, all the rest just seem a bit disappointing, even if they are great games.

Last edited:
I could just type the word "awesome", but then I'd have to edit my post.

Story:FFVI, like most RPG's, have a very developed story. The basis of the story is that long ago magical being called Espers lived together in peace with humans, but as time passed, the humans became consumed by greed and desire, they started leaking the magical powers of the Espers and infusing it into themselves, resulting in weakening, and often killing the Espers. Humans started to battle the Espers wih the newfound magic, bringing forth the so called, "War of the Magi". After the war, the Espers had to hide away and the earth became a desolate husk of what it once was. Now, someone is trying to use this ancient power for evil.....and the fate of the world is on the line......
This is barely scratching the surface of the story, for it would take hours to explain the whole thing. In this game you will experience many earth-shattering events.
(literaly)
Story- 9.5/10

Characters: This game has more playable characters than some people can count. With a total of 14 playable characters, FF6 has the highest amount of playable characters of any FF game. Although the game has no specific main character, there are characters of different importitudeness. (...What did I just say?) Three party members can be assumed as the main characters, Terra, Celes, and Locke. (I think of Terra as the main character.)Then, there are characters that are next to useless to the story, such as Umaro and Gogo. Of course, there are many characters in between. The villain in this game is an insane madman named Kefka. Either you will think he's annoying, and hate him as he taunts you endlessly,("There's a reason OPPOSE rhymes with DISPOSE!!!!) or love him as he taunts you endlessly. ("You sond like the pages of a self-help booklet!!!!)
Either way...he's a very unique character that stands out...A LOT.
Characters 10/10

Gameplay-FF6's combat system follows the ATB system that FF4-5 allowed you to use. You also get to perform a unique set of abilities, such as Tools, Bushido(SwdTech), Blitz, Mimic, Rage, Lore (Blue Magic), Magic(of course), and DANCE!!(Geomancing). Of course, the game allows you to level up, collect items, and equip stuff...but a somewhat new feature, called "relics" were added. You can equipt 2 relics at a time, and they can do things such as protect against status ailments, allow you to perform 4 attacks it one, half MP costs, counter attack, raise stats, and more.
Gameplay-9.5/10

Replay value- You could play this game 20 times and not get bored of it. You could use a different party each time you play, and it would take 3 or more times to use all of them extensively.
10/10

Overall-10/10
This could be the greatest RPG ever...,heck, the best game ever! This game is my favorite RPG..., second only to Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy Vi is the first game to have character's with personallity's, not good one's, but oh well. The story was complex and simply amazing. and the fact that you have to FIND your party memers by yourself or face Kefka thing really mad me mad. But a good Idea. The rumer about a remake didn't surprise me... at all. And the new moves made stradegy achevable. An amazing game. 7/10

Just completed it for the first time, and I have to say, I was blown away by its awe. Yes, the game is merely in 2D graphics, but that does not stop its message from getting through to you.

First of all - the characters. The characters are really deep, and you end up caring for them a lot (I didn't care for Gau, but I did for all others), and there are 14 playable characters, which is A LOT! (probably more than any other FF game) And another thing - there isn't really THE MAIN character. None of the characters always stays in your party, except for some minor parts. (My best would be Sabin, Celes, Cyan and Terra)

The gameplay and battle system are superb. I love it how each FF game manages to have a unique battle system that's somewhat different to other FF games. The esper system is genius.

I loved most parts of the game, but what stood out for me was when you had to pick more than 1 party. That way you got to utilise most of the characters you had up to that part of the game.

The main villain, Kefka, is one of the most accomplished villains. He is not just there to intimidate the heroes and lose. He is purely insane and purely evil and
manages to achieve a lot of the world destruction and ultimate power he always craved.
Sephiroth truly looks like a harmless bunny compared to Kefka and what Kefka managed to achieve throughout the game as a villain.

All in all, a masterpiece. So far apart from FFVI I've played FFVII and FFIX and I really can't pick which of them I like the most and which the least. That's the beauty of FF franchise - every game (or at least those I tried so far) is so amazing and has such impacts on your emotions, that it becomes hard to favour any one or the other.
10/10

The game is like a hot chocolate on a cold winter day. Even among Final Fantasy games. 9.9/10

Kefka. That's my review.

What, I have to write more? Pffffft, fine.

Being a lady who's into these games primarily for story and characters (I could care less about gameplay - if it's fun, rad. If not, whatever; the story is still more important.), this game is perfect. It has so many memorable characters, and so many OLDER characters. Yes, older, mature characters in a game. Yaaaaay!!
And, holy shit, Kefka. What more could you want from a villain? He is the best ever.

This game also has a fantabulous soundtrack with individual themes for nearly every character, including the secret (useless) ones. As a music lover, this makes me crazy happy (especially when leitmotifs start showing up... I am a total sucker for leitmotifs.)

I love this game. :)

Story: The story was not the most memorable for me, however as the game progressed, the story line proved to be alluring and addicting. It's not often you see the villains goal of world destruction succeed. Best part of the story is the transition from World of Balance to World of Ruin. It was so ominously hopeless at that point, only to have the hope forced back into you as you recollect your party and continue the fight. Great story but didn't draw me in as much as vii and ix.

Characters:The characters are among the greatest in the series' history. While fourteen may be too many (could've gone without umaro, gogo, and relm) virtually all of them proved some importance for the development of this story. I loved how all the characters had their own unique abilities, which I will go into more in a sec. Best part is is no one this the main protagonist in my opinion, not even Terra, the story focuses on the entire team and their journey.

Gameplay: Same ATB as iv & v, which is not a bad thing. The unique abilities for all of the characters and allowing the development of magic spells by equipping espers (summons), groundbreaking. The relic system really stuck with the rest of the series. Also alot of the weapons could be used by more than one member. So character development is a big plus for this game.

Villain: Not a big fan of the villain. Never really had a connection to the party, barely a back story. In essence he was just a dangerously psychotic prick who knows how to destroy shit and does it happily. My biggest knock is the empire seemed like the main villain. The empire had a back story and a connection to the characters, compared to Kefka who came in, destroyed shit, then disappeared.

Soundtrack: Pretty good, nothing to knock really. Just a beautiful soundtrack.

Bestiary: A lot of bosses, and a lot of them after the World of Ruin are hard as hell to defeat. I breezed through bosses until that point, then I was just about guranteed to lose at least once to a boss. Field monsters were kinda modest.

Replay value: I'd play it again and again, but once every couple years or so.

Overall: I rate this as the third best game in the series behind vii & ix, but between those three games, it's very hard to choose one over the other.

Back