How the magic system works.

TheMixedHerb

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
This thread isn't like the "No Magic?" thread, that's something completely different although it did spark the idea of this thread for me.

In FFXIII, as those of you who have played it will know, there is no more MP or anything like that to use magic. You just set the command and it does it after you've finished selecting your commands.

Taking out MP was a rather big gameplay difference really if you think about it, since you only have to worry about HP now as opposed to using ethers and such. I think that this was a good idea personally, I love the way the system works and how you can stack commands together, varying pieces of magic and they take more (or less) ATB segments depending on their power.

Although bringing back the old school spells for us to use would be ace as well, like Ultima and Flare. (I know one is seen in game by a certain you-know-who, but you don't get them at all, it would've been a nice touch.)

Anyway, what are your opinions on this new approach to using magic?

I preferred it.

The magic system has been rather prohibitive for a long time now in the FF series (especially in VIII) and it usually meant physical damage dealing characters were the best choice for running through the games. Rarely would I use magic to take down an enemy and that changed in XIII. It's probably the best innovation from a game of few innovations, but an important one for the franchise.

I liked the new system but prefer the classic with MP and ethers etc. All though I liked the new system I would be very dissapointed if the new battle system stuck around in it's current form for FF15 and beyond. If they brought the old system back I would be as happy as larry.

Rarely would I use magic to take down an enemy and that changed in XIII. It's probably the best innovation from a game of few innovations, but an important one for the franchise.

I liked not needing to worry about mp, it's a big load off your mind, it really is. I tend to be really conservative with my magic but I love how I can just let loose and chain them together here.

I liked the new system but prefer the classic with MP and ethers etc. All though I liked the new system I would be very dissapointed if the new battle system stuck around in it's current form for FF15 and beyond. If they brought the old system back I would be as happy as larry.

I like both systems but as I said above, I like the freedom of not needing to constantly keep an eye on my mp. With all the magic that you cast in this game though... considering chaining is vital. It'd be pretty hard to keep a decent stock of ethers at all times and it'd get tiring.

I did enjoy this system in FFXIII. It made level grinding much easier since all you really had to worry about is the PL's health. Since there is no MP, you never have to worry about your characters losing all of their MP and recover it somehow. Although I do prefer having MP, though the closest thing to it in the game is TP and while it does recover with each battle, it recovers way too slowly and has a limited movepool so it is not the same.

I prefer the magic system as it is. An infinite amount of MP is a huge benefit in my opinion, especially for the difficult battles in Final Fantasy XIII. Maintaining an acceptable amount of HP was very difficult for me in some battles and not having to worry about MP made all of the difference.

The magic system has been rather prohibitive for a long time now in the FF series (especially in VIII) and it usually meant physical damage dealing characters were the best choice for running through the games. Rarely would I use magic to take down an enemy and that changed in XIII.
Oddly enough, it had the exact opposite effect on me. Taking away the MP now meant that magic was generally underrated because there wasn't much to lose from using it. Of course, the game kind of forces you to use it though.

Back